The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Medium Nib M1000 Green Stripe On Amazon.de

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 marlinspike

marlinspike

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 19:37

Amazon.de has the green stripe M1000 with a medium nib down to about 288 euro once VAT is removed, which works out to about $355 US, shipping adds about $5 but get yourself a jar of edelstein at the same time and the shipping is more than paid for. I've seen it as low as a couple euros north of this in recent history, but not this low, and often about 25% more than this.

Sponsored Content

#2 SirVival

SirVival

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 19:49

They are matching the prices of several German stationary sites. But for US the low hassle shipping might be worth it.

#3 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 19:58

Will Pelikan USA offer a free nib swap on these? 

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#4 Driften

Driften

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 20:06

Will Pelikan USA offer a free nib swap on these? 

Not any more. Pelikan will only do the nib swap on pens bought from US dealers right now. It does not matter if the non-US dealer is an authorized dealer or not. 

#5 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 22:42

Oh well 

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#6 marlinspike

marlinspike

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 23:28

Not any more. Pelikan will only do the nib swap on pens bought from US dealers right now. It does not matter if the non-US dealer is an authorized dealer or not. 

I thought they actually went back to saying only nib swap on US bought authorized dealer? Or is that only for warranty?

Even still, you could buy the pen from amazon.de and a nib from missing-pen.de, and still be cheaper than the US Pelikan M1000 price, and have 2 nibs. Also the EF and F are still way cheaper than the US, just not unusually so, they are at their normal German prices.

Edited by marlinspike, 03 March 2018 - 23:29.

#7 Driften

Driften

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:01

I thought they actually went back to saying only nib swap on US bought authorized dealer? Or is that only for warranty?

I think we are saying the same thing. Chartpack supports only pens and nibs bought from US dealers, and if you buy from a place like missing-pen.de (great dealer) you have to send it back to them for support or nib change.

#8 marlinspike

marlinspike

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 13:13

I think we are saying the same thing. Chartpack supports only pens and nibs bought from US dealers, and if you buy from a place like missing-pen.de (great dealer) you have to send it back to them for support or nib change.

Oh, yeah, I misread, I thought I saw you say it doesn't matter if the US dealer is authorized or not, meaning as long as it is a US dealer it is covered, but I see now you said it doesn't matter if the non-US dealer is authorized or not, as in even an authorized non-US dealer won't be covered.

#9 PliskenV

PliskenV

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:23

Has anyone bought one yet? I am interested in buying but unsure of the currency exchange.

#10 marlinspike

marlinspike

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:43

Has anyone bought one yet? I am interested in buying but unsure of the currency exchange.

You have 2 options with amazon - you can pay in USD or pay in EUR. If you pay in USD, Amazon will do the exchange, and tells you the definite exchange rate in advance. This exchange rate happens to be right around the bank rate + 3% or so. If you pay in EUR, your credit card handles the exchange. Different cards do it differently some (all?) capital one credit cards charge you just the exchange rate, as published by Visa, on the day your payment goes through (and it is usually basically the bank rate), but most cards do charge a fee on top of that high enough to make the amazon rate worth paying, especially right now when by the time the payment clears the EUR will likely be more valuable against the USD than it was the day you ordered.

I ordered one, but it hasn't come yet. NB: the cheapest form of shipping has no tracking, so it's just a surprise at your door one day. IIRC Amazon tells you 2-3 weeks. The last thing I got came in 7 days, but we are now at day 8 here and no pen (granted, today was Sunday), so we shall see.

Basically, the exchange rate right now is such that if it is 300 euros before you add to cart, when you go to check out and it takes off the taxes you will be just a bit above $300 because it takes off their sales tax only on the last page before you confirm the purchase in the checkout and their sales tax is 19% while 1 eur is 1.23 usd.

Edited by marlinspike, 05 March 2018 - 04:47.

#11 PliskenV

PliskenV

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 14:24

You have 2 options with amazon - you can pay in USD or pay in EUR. If you pay in USD, Amazon will do the exchange, and tells you the definite exchange rate in advance. This exchange rate happens to be right around the bank rate + 3% or so. If you pay in EUR, your credit card handles the exchange. Different cards do it differently some (all?) capital one credit cards charge you just the exchange rate, as published by Visa, on the day your payment goes through (and it is usually basically the bank rate), but most cards do charge a fee on top of that high enough to make the amazon rate worth paying, especially right now when by the time the payment clears the EUR will likely be more valuable against the USD than it was the day you ordered.

I ordered one, but it hasn't come yet. NB: the cheapest form of shipping has no tracking, so it's just a surprise at your door one day. IIRC Amazon tells you 2-3 weeks. The last thing I got came in 7 days, but we are now at day 8 here and no pen (granted, today was Sunday), so we shall see.

Basically, the exchange rate right now is such that if it is 300 euros before you add to cart, when you go to check out and it takes off the taxes you will be just a bit above $300 because it takes off their sales tax only on the last page before you confirm the purchase in the checkout and their sales tax is 19% while 1 eur is 1.23 usd.

Thanks for the explanation. 

#12 marlinspike

marlinspike

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:04

I feel I should note: I have gotten things from 3rd party sellers in Germany on Amazon.com before, and they were well packed. Same is true for things from 3rd party sellers on Amazon.de, and the same is true for other companies in Germany that i order from directly. However, this order, which ships from and sold by Amazon, the pen arrived today very poorly packaged resulting in some damage to the Pelikan box. No padding of any kind, not even enough room in the box for the pen itself, basically just wrapped in a sleeve of cardboard so any blow to the package translated directly to the box.

#13 PliskenV

PliskenV

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:12

Well I ordered it and hopefully it arrives in decent shape. It was a good deal as well. 

#14 marlinspike

marlinspike

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 14:14

Well I ordered it and hopefully it arrives in decent shape. It was a good deal as well. 

Most of the damage was to the outer wrapper of the box, but the box had a little bit of impact damage as well. That said, still several hundred dollar discount so....
I don't know which speed you went with, but apparently fulfilled by Amazon.de is no longer using DHL for the cheap shipping and is using Asendia instead. This time it took 10 business days.

#15 inkking

inkking

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2018 - 20:22

I bough one 30' ago. Express delivery, should arrive monday. No regrets since the retail price in Geneva is about 800 CHF swiss francs. I am very happy with my M200 M120 M400 M405 M805 Masuyama M805 Strsemann. Amongst others. Life is short. Besides you connote go wrong with a Pelikan.

#16 inkking

inkking

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2018 - 20:24

Manny thanks to Marlinspike.

Sponsored Content

|