My MB 244 is giving off this rather strong naphta smell. Its not a bad smell, I don't mind it. But, I was wondering if this means something is going on with the pen - like the celluloid is decomposing or something and I might only find the nib and clip in my display next week My other MB celluloids don't smell this strong though I have often come across vintage MBs that smell like this (it's typically when I receive pens from dealers and they haven't been cleaned ever). Is this normal? Any cause for concern?
|***** The FPN Admin Team *****|
FPN Quick Navigation
- Our New FPN 2015 LE Pen!
- - FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE
- FPN Forums & Forum Categories
- - FPN News forum
- - The Mall forum
- - FPN World forums
- - The Marketplace Forums
- - Writing Instruments forums
- - Brand Focus forums
- - Regional Focus forums
- - Inks, Inc. forums
- - Paper, & Pen Acc. forums
- - Creative Expressions forums
- FPN Store, Donations, Accounts & Advertising
- - Store Home
- - FPN Ink Store
- - Advertise on FPN - Info
- - FPN Marketing & Advertising
- - Variable Amount Donations - Iridium, Rhodium & Platinum
- - Fixed Amount FPN Rhodium & Platinum Supporters, & FPN without Ads Donations
- - Premium (Trader/Retailer) Accounts
- - Straight PayPal Anonymous Donations
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Annual Subscription
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Monthly Subscription
- - The FPN Café Press Shop
- FPN Apps & Modules
- - Blogs
- - Classifieds
- - Gallery
- - Downloads
- - Home Page
- - Members
- - Pen Events Calendar
- - FPN's RSS Feeds
- - Shoutbox
- - Upload
- - Classifieds: Browsing
- - Classifieds: Creation
- - Classifieds: Questions & Answers
- - Upload: How-to
- Rules & Guidelines
- - FPN Rules, Guidelines, TOU
- - Classifieds Rules
- - Premium Accounts: Rules
- - Market Watch Rules
Smelly Celluloid Pens
Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:42
I have only on pen made with celluloid (Delta Rediscover Pompeii) and it has always had a unique aroma to it.
I personal like the aroma it puts out, you can only notice it if put the pen right up close to your nose.
I was told that is one way to know that it is a true celluloid pen and it is nothing to worry about. i am not expert however so maybe some other member with more experience can help with this.
Posted 06 March 2018 - 15:41
Hopefully, it just needs a good clean.
BUT, if you really think it is decaying KEEP IT AWAY from your other celluloid pens, as it could spread! The decaying celluloid gives off gasses which will affect other celluloid items. It's a non reversible process.
Maybe keep it in isolation, until you're sure?
Fingers crossed that it's nothing so serious.
Edited by CS388, 06 March 2018 - 15:42.
Posted 06 March 2018 - 22:29