The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Smelly Celluloid Pens

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:15

My MB 244 is giving off this rather strong naphta smell. Its not a bad smell, I don't mind it. But, I was wondering if this means something is going on with the pen - like the celluloid is decomposing or something and I might only find the nib and clip in my display next week :) My other MB celluloids don't smell this strong though I have often come across vintage MBs that smell like this (it's typically when I receive pens from dealers and they haven't been cleaned ever). Is this normal? Any cause for concern?

Sponsored Content

#2 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,327 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 15:26

Give it a good cleaning.

#3 Zaphodbebullbrox

Zaphodbebullbrox

Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 12:42

I have only on pen made with celluloid (Delta Rediscover Pompeii) and it has always had a unique aroma to it.

I personal like the aroma it puts out, you can only notice it if put the pen right up close to your nose.

I was told that is one way to know that it is a true celluloid pen and it is nothing to worry about. i am not expert however so maybe some other member with more experience can help with this.

#4 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,716 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 15:41

Hi siamackz

Hopefully, it just needs a good clean.

BUT, if you really think it is decaying KEEP IT AWAY from your other celluloid pens, as it could spread! The decaying celluloid gives off gasses which will affect other celluloid items. It's a non reversible process.

Maybe keep it in isolation, until you're sure?

Fingers crossed that it's nothing so serious.

Edited by CS388, 06 March 2018 - 15:42.

#5 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 22:29

Celluloid contains camphor as an ingredient, and it's possible for the camphor to leave, so the smell will always be there a little bit.

#6 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,694 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:25

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sponsored Content

|