The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Very Special Parker 61 Incoming

parker 61

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,806 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:41

When I bought my first 61, the seller said to flush it by sticking it under the tap, nib down, and let water run through the capillary filler from the back.  I have hard water so instead I used a bulb syringe and distilled water.  I ended up using the pen for something like four MONTHS -- just on what the reconstituted ink came out when I started flushing it.  When the pen would go dry, I'd flush it till I got ink coming out from the nib.  Then, when it got to the point of being so diluted as to be illegible, I flushed out really well.

Be prepared to use an ink that isn't overly saturated (J Herbin and some De Atramentis standard inks have worked for me).  And be prepared to use an ink that you really like the color of -- because capillary-fill 61s hold a HUGE amount of ink....  I wasn't kidding about the four months part -- it was about the same with my second 61, and I'm now running into something similar with the third one, I bought last fall at the Ohio Pen Show.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Congratulations.  The pen looks lovely (none of mine have fancy caps).  And the fact that it's a family heirloom just makes it even more special.

Edited by inkstainedruth, 04 March 2018 - 05:42.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sponsored Content

#22 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:57

Congratulations Sub-blusey... the pen is stunning... more stunning is your great uncle's bio... a man who raised himself up from "nothing"... that's true grit. :thumbup:

- Anthony
With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#23 sub_bluesy

sub_bluesy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:19

Congratulations Sub-blusey... the pen is stunning... more stunning is your great uncle's bio... a man who raised himself up from "nothing"... that's true grit. :thumbup:

- Anthony

Both my great Uncle and my Grandfather had a huge impact on me. I have my great Uncle’s Parker and my grandfather’s watch. Actually both Grandfather’s watches albeit, very different from each other but still a great story for both. The pen though, I don’t have any other pens from my relatives other than the Parker. That’s very special to me. I’m seriously amazed at how well this pen is running right now! It’s been flawless so far! It just jumped right back into the game after 50 years in storage. I don’t have many pens I bought just last year that will do that.
Cause if your eyes on the ground when the night comes around, youll only see the stars when they fall like rain.

#24 sub_bluesy

sub_bluesy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:31

When I bought my first 61, the seller said to flush it by sticking it under the tap, nib down, and let water run through the capillary filler from the back.  I have hard water so instead I used a bulb syringe and distilled water.  I ended up using the pen for something like four MONTHS -- just on what the reconstituted ink came out when I started flushing it.  When the pen would go dry, I'd flush it till I got ink coming out from the nib.  Then, when it got to the point of being so diluted as to be illegible, I flushed out really well.
Be prepared to use an ink that isn't overly saturated (J Herbin and some De Atramentis standard inks have worked for me).  And be prepared to use an ink that you really like the color of -- because capillary-fill 61s hold a HUGE amount of ink....  I wasn't kidding about the four months part -- it was about the same with my second 61, and I'm now running into something similar with the third one, I bought last fall at the Ohio Pen Show.  
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Congratulations.  The pen looks lovely (none of mine have fancy caps).  And the fact that it's a family heirloom just makes it even more special.

I think Ill run this one through on the most recent fill and then go about cleaning the capillary cell once running dry. The pen really writes much better than I was expecting. Its come off without a hitch so far. They dont make em like they used to!

Edited by sub_bluesy, 04 March 2018 - 10:32.

Cause if your eyes on the ground when the night comes around, youll only see the stars when they fall like rain.

#25 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:13

A stunningly beautiful pen with great family histry. Enjoy using it.
Khan

#26 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 23:49

I took a pic of the pen outside in the sun today. It looks red but Ive never seen another 61 in person.

In that lighting, it looks much more like what I've seen described as Rage Red.  Beautiful.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#27 shamwari

shamwari

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 22:25

I took a pic of the pen outside in the sun today. It looks red but Ive never seen another 61 in person.

Your pen looks very similar in colour to mine which is shown below next to a maroon mid 50s "51" (and a black 61 with the Heirloom rainbow cap) - picture taken indoors under led lighting, I fear it will be some time before we see the sun here in Scotland.

B3CD7A07-DCE5-4B26-87B5-3BD88436A0C5.jpeg

"If you want to succeed in the world, you don't have to be much cleverer than other people. You just have to be one day earlier." -- Leo Szilard

#28 AdrielGrey

AdrielGrey

The witchy writer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 22:49

Congratulations on getting your uncle's pen set! My grandfather taught me how to write when I was a toddler, with fountain pens and dip pens. I would have loved to get one of his pens after he died, but they were lost to a fire (and the rest to a pawn shop via my aunt, I found out later.)

So I'm really happy that you get to continue in his footsteps and get to feel what he used to feel like. <3
I do Tarot Readings for sale, or to trade for ink or stuff. Just PM me if interested <3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, 61

Sponsored Content

|