The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

The Zo65 Custom Keyboard

typing keyboard diy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:12

It took longer than expected to get the last pieces together and write up my full report, but now I am ready to show off the Zo65 keyboards!  And yes, it is a long report.  So, for easy reference, here's the thread about the earlier Zo64 → http://www.fountainp...rd-image-heavy/

And now the new hotness…

Zo65-02.jpg

I haven't changed the basic concept here, but there have been a lot of refinements to make it sleeker, more attractive, and better sounding-and-feeling to type on.  I also added the green "Compose" key, which allows me to easily enter all sorts of special characters in Linux.  The case is anodized aluminum, and I'm using Sorbothane® to dampen vibrations and PBT plastic keycaps for an exceptionally solid feeling.  I built two of these, one with the clicky switches (Kailh BOX Pale Blue) that I used before, and one with quiet tactile switches (Kailh BOX Burnt Orange) that I may like even better.  It's the one to take with me to the library, for sure!

Zo65-10.jpg

Oh yeah, and there's the old Zo64 which has been given a facelift so it can hang with its younger siblings.

I wish it was possible to buy something like these off-the-shelf.  If I could have, I would have.  The only reason I built my own keyboard was because nobody was producing what I wanted.

I've written up the full report and posted it on my own server, so rather than repeat all of that, I'll provide a link.  There are lots of photos and nitty-gritty details, so fee free to check it out here → http://zobeid.zapto.org/misc/zo65.html

Sponsored Content

#2 shamwari

shamwari

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 13:20

Thanks for the wrote-up, those keyboards look very impressive. You've got me thinking now!

"If you want to succeed in the world, you don't have to be much cleverer than other people. You just have to be one day earlier." -- Leo Szilard

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: typing, keyboard, diy

Sponsored Content

|