Precious Resin - Ongoing Debate

stvn66

I try and stick to 'precious' metal Montblanc writing instruments to avoid any confusion ;)

fpn_1406195353__gold_rolex_2.jpg

The problem with your carrying case is that is does not keep your pens from touching. Also, it is not MB brand. You need to step up your game.

;)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Corona688

• Matlock

• Bluey

• max dog

Quoting FPN member Vates from four years ago:

"For those who always wondered, according to the conclusion of the chemist, the so called "precious resin" of my '85-'90 MB is actually phenoplast based on phenol-formaldehyde: it is a carbolite resin with certain filler (which may be even wood chips)."

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/255063-modern-montblancs-weak-piston-lead-screw/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2893322

It's Bakelite! - or a descendent thereof with added precious wood.

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

The problem with your carrying case is that is does not keep your pens from touching. Also, it is not MB brand. You need to step up your game.

;)

For out & about use to prevent touching ;)

fpn_1360937241__pen_case_1.jpg

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

~ Pen Nut:

Those cases look like they afford excellent protection to your treasures.

May I please ask what the second pen from the left is, with a red marbled cap?

Thank you for posting these precious metal Montblanc images.

Tom K.

I accept that the English translation may be an accurate translation of the original German. Perhaps the problem is with the original German. Edel is an incorrect description of the material. It is not nobel, precious, classy, or any of those descriptors irrespective of language. It is shiny, black and hard.

Bakelite. Well that explains a lot. It's rigid but brittle, resistant to all glues and solvents, and can't be melted.

Bakelite. Well that explains a lot. It's rigid but brittle, resistant to all glues and solvents, and can't be melted.

Either way, still special. Not many makers of bakelike these days...

The German term for stainless steel is Edelstahl, but nobody would translate that as "precious steel." Perhaps a better translation of Edelharz would be "impervious resin." Not as catchy as "precious" though.

irrespective of language. It is shiny, black and hard.

That is indeed true. My 1990 146, after decades is still shiny and looks better than a lot of my other much newer plastic pens.

That is indeed true. My 1990 146, after decades is still shiny and looks better than a lot of my other much newer plastic pens.

I have a 1926 Sheaffer 8C in black radite that is as smooth and polished as any pen I've owned. Precious is just a word.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

~ Pen Nut:

Those cases look like they afford excellent protection to your treasures.

May I please ask what the second pen from the left is, with a red marbled cap?

Thank you for posting these precious metal Montblanc images.

Tom K.

Hello Tom,

Well the Montblanc police have me nailed dont they :) Its a Parker (whoops) Duofold which does have a lovely standard oblique medium nib fitted. Only carried to prevent the149 getting lonely, honest !

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Well the Montblanc police have me nailed dont they :) Its a Parker (whoops) Duofold which does have a lovely standard oblique medium nib fitted. Only carried to prevent the149 getting lonely, honest !

~ Pen Nut:

No problem whatsoever.

Yours truly assumed that it wasn't a Montblanc, wanting nothing more than to know which delightful pen would be a 149's consort.

On my desk is a Tortoise Pelikan 400 OF and half a dozen Parker 51s.

Our fountain pens are old enough to have their own friends, whether for the nonce or for a longer entanglement being their concern.

Thank you for letting me know that it's a Parker Duofold OM, which sounds like an excellent pen in its own right.

Tom K.

The" precious resin " is indeed very hard, aiming to avoid surface scratches

Unavoidable drawback being the material becomes extremely brittle.

As in most cases its a matter of "giving and taking"…..

Francis

Whatever the material is, it has stood the test of time. 149s from 1960s still see regular use by several users right here on FPN.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Apparently bakelite contains asbestos

It contains asbestos if they put asbestos in it, which is doubtful. That's a rare and expensive filler used for high temperature applications. More commonly used substrates are paper and wood.

The formaldehyde, on the other hand, is true in the sense that salt contains poisonous chlorine gas and explosive alkaline metal.

It contains asbestos if they put asbestos in it, which is doubtful. That's a rare and expensive filler used for high temperature applications. More commonly used substrates are paper and wood.

The formaldehyde, on the other hand, is true in the sense that salt contains poisonous chlorine gas and explosive alkaline metal.

Well, can you show me where salt is listed as a substance that "poses a significant danger to human health" like formaldehyde does.

If you wolf down 10 kg of salt in an hour or drink 20 pints of water in half an hour then both can kill you, but it's not really the same thing as neither will be done by anyone except by those striving for the Golden Darwin Award.

Edited by Bluey

Chlorine scores a 4 for biohazard, sodium scores 3 for flammability. Very dangerous stuff.