The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Montegrappa Exta 1930 - Is The Broad Nib Stubbish?

montegrappa 1930 italy stub

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gmax

gmax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 21:11

Hello,

Can anyone please advise from experience if the Montegrappa Exta 1930 Broad nib is stubbish?

I am aware that their medium nib runs slightly narrow, but I don't want a greater line width if it is devoid of character.

Any advice or writing samples would be much appreciated  :)

Sponsored Content

#2 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 19:24

No, the broad nib on the Extra 1930 is not stubbish--it's a very smooth round nib. I believe there is a factory stub option if one is ordering the pen new, or a broad nib could easily be ground to a stub if desired.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#3 gmax

gmax

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 19:43

The Montegrappa official website makes no reference to a factory stub, so it seems that this option has been discontinued.

Thanks for your confirmation :thumbup:  

#4 europen

europen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2018 - 22:12

My Extra (it is not the 1930 model but FG Extra -- 1995 or '96) is just the opposite: its M nib gushes and flows like a BB. A fill up is required once a week so I use it only to sign important documents. The vagaries of Italian pens, which are like opera divas.

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

#5 Babangita

Babangita

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2018 - 20:05

My Extra (it is not the 1930 model but FG Extra -- 1995 or '96) is just the opposite: its M nib gushes and flows like a BB. A fill up is required once a week so I use it only to sign important documents. The vagaries of Italian pens, which are like opera divas.

+ 1 to europen, I had a second edition Extra 1930, fitted with a very nice and soft M nib... a joy to sign documents with.

The only problem was that it wrote like a B to BB and hence, useless as EDC.

No "stubness" whatsoever.  

Current modern daily users: Aurora 88 modern; GvFC Classic, Montegrappa Reminiscence, Nettuno Superba, Omas AM87 orange, S.T.Dupont D-Line black lacquer, Stipula Etruria Tuscany Dreams, Tibaldi Iride + a few good Japanese pens as the PG and the 3776.

Current vintage daily users: Aurora 98p, Big Red Lucky Curve, MB622, P51, P75, Pelikan NN400.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montegrappa, 1930, italy, stub

Sponsored Content

|