Secret M805 Ocean Swirl Ink Window

alanshutko

Like many, I was disappointed that the M805 Ocean Swirl didnt have an ink window. But it does!

While you cant see through the barrel in normal light, I discovered it is translucent with bright enough light! The flashlight on my phone is bright enough to check ink levels.

Pretty cool discovery!

post-140873-0-54007000-1520017068_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mulrich

• Runnin_Ute

• praxim

• alanshutko

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are right. Holding the OS side on to a light, with glare shielded, I can see that the barrel above the section is lighter than the rest of it so possible to see ink level there. It is important to have better than normal lighting while preventing glare around the pen though. Holding the pen at the forward lip of a shielded desk lamp works conveniently enough.

So now I know I am running out of ink in that pen. :rolleyes:

X

I'll have to remember that.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Great idea. I like that it doesn't have an ink window. I don't need to be as careful choosing inks. Mine is filled with Colorverse Photon. Great combo.

Ive used this trick for a number of finishes that dont have an explicit ink window. Works great. The cell phone flashlight is very handy to use.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

although a great trick but would not work on all finishes. e.g i have a burnt orange with 0 translucency.

Maybe you just need more power :)

I just hold them up to a bright overhead light....not that one but the tortoise or green stripped ones.

When the sun is out, that works too.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

> e.g i have a burnt orange with 0 translucency.

trying it with this pen and my iPhone works, so it probably depends on the light source.