The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Phaeton Converters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 15:12

I collected all the colors (with the two different hood ornaments) long ago, but somehow never found a Phaeton with the converter intact until now.

However, this pen is missing its hood ornament. 

Do the converters just pull off, or is there some adhesive that needs to be soaked/ heated off?

I want to move this converter to an otherwise complete pen.

Thanks, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Sponsored Content

#2 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,957 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 21:30

My only Phaeton is a burgundy with a working converter.  The converter pulls right off.  there's a tube that looks like it work for piercing cartridges.  I think these pens are a bit strange, and mine has a scratchy nib. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#3 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

• Member - Gold

• 4,130 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 00:17

Thanks.  That gave me the courage to pull a bit harder, and it came right off.

I think they are cool looking pens, but are a bit too slim for me to use comfortably.

Plus, there are plenty of other Esterbrooks out there that write much better (Reliefs!)

Best Regards, greg

#4 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:21

I have one of the converter versions, and mine is a wonderful pen to use.   Yes, it's a bit small, but I like it.  I have a Venus pen that is very similar to the Phaeton.  My understanding is that the converter served as a replacement for the cartridge, just as modern pens do.

#5 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

• Member - Gold

• 4,130 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 16:22

It makes me wonder if the converter was always sold with the Phaeton or if some were just sold with carts.  Back when I was collecting in a completist fashion, I looked at a LOT of Esterbrooks, including Phaetons, and it seemed like maybe 1:10 had converters.  Or maybe the idea (novel then, I guess) of the self-contained ink supply of cartridges was too cool, and converters were just tossed.  I don't know how many Phaetons I looked at, but I know of the nine I've purchased, one had a converter.

greg

#6 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 17:51

According to Brian Anderson's site, the pen was offered either way.  I've had a few, and the converter version is the one I've kept, and I'm guessing that's why more of the cartridge version pens are available.   I sometimes search for just the converter.

#7 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,957 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 18:02

You are making me feel that I should align the nib, smooth it, whatever it takes to make it usable.  I think this Phaeton is the most modern of my Esterbrooks. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#8 Autopoint

Autopoint

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:16

FWIW, I have two Esterbrook Phaeton slightly used fountain pen and pencil sets.  Both sets are in their original clear-top plastic boxes, and both sets include the OEM converter.

- - - Jim

Collector of Autopoint + Realite + Realpoint, and Esterbrook accumulator

Sponsored Content

|