Namiki Emperor Or Pilot Custom Urushi?

Tseg

Is your Namiki No. 20 a medium and what differences in nib and overall experience to the Custom Urushi M?

After acquiring a KoP Pro Gear and an M1000 I have determined I like a stout but not massive pen. I significantly prefer the ergonomics of the Pro Gear to the M1000, which feels like a stick of wood in the hand. The Namiki just looks more ergonomic to the Custom Urushi. Your sense? I can say now I am glad I did not spring for the Emperor.

fpn_1530714674__img_2774.jpg

I bought the other two black custom urushi FM, B to accompany with the vermillion M. I carry the three pens as daily writers for the different purposes. Without doubt the soft no.30 nib is my favorite by all brands.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tseg

• Mew

• mongrelnomad

• mjchuang9

Although the nib of M1000 is also soft, it did feel like a stick of wood in hands as you said. The custom urushi doesn't bring me such a feel. It is believed that the quality of urushi in Namiki is better than in Pilot, without a doubt the Yukari Royale is a good writer, however, the custom urushi is a superior writer. The no.30 can deliver my words and expressions more precisely. The writing experience of the soft nib is unique, the no.30 nib is so reliable, and brings the writing pleasure . It is hard to express unless you write in person.

Edited by mjchuang9

Although the nib of M1000 is also soft, it did feel like a stick of wood in hands as you said. The custom urushi doesn't bring me such a feel. It is believed that the quality of urushi in Namiki is better than in Pilot, without a doubt the Yukari Royale is a good writer, however, the custom urushi is a superior writer. The no.30 can deliver my words and expressions more precisely. The writing experience of the soft nib is unique, the no.30 nib is so reliable, and brings the writing pleasure . It is hard to express unless you write in person.

I was afraid you would say that. I'm concerned a black Custom Urushi may reside in the tea leaves moving forward.

• 3 weeks later...

Very excited! I got word my Urushi No. 20 is in shipment to me and should arrive Monday, nearly 4 months after ordering.

This. Pen. Writes. Like. A. Dream.

43507893762_25d39ab0a8_k.jpg

Collection. Complete.

Congratulations, and welcome to your new favorite pen.

Too many pens; too little writing.

fpn_1532248693___2018-7-22_435.jpg

Congratulations on your long waiting vermillion yukari royale pen. The night scene of pavilion is my grail in the yukari royale series.

Thanks all. Nice Night Scene of Pavillion pen.

After a couple days of use:

• My most solid feeling pen, comparable in heft to my ST DuPont Olympio XL
  • My smoothest feeling pen - the minimalist design, rounded everything and luscious wet feeling urushi lacquer is amazing
  • The Urushi lacquer finish looks dripping wet and beautiful - I have several lacquer pens and this finish blows the others away
  • Amazing attention to detail - this pen is so tight and exacting, down to the felt liner right inside the rim of the cap
  • Vermillion and Gold really compliment each other... this Vermillion has some orange overtones to it - Yama-Guri ink compliments this pen well
  • The nib is truly amazing - real smooth but a tiny hint of feedback. The nib is super slippery on paper (vs. laggy) - a very different feel than my Pilot Custom 823 even thought the same size - a bit of a nail (M size)
  • Ergonomically about my most comfortable pen - section girth and contour like a Sailor KoP, barrel girth like an M1000, great balance, no step to the barrel, cannot even feel the threads

In summary, it really feels like a high-end pen, which is good for as much as it costs. Right now I cannot think of another pen I want.

I still like the Emperor better, but maybe that's because I haven't used a Yukari for a substantial period of time.

I did go to buy a Yukari last week, but ended up pre-booking another emperor. 🙈

fpn_1532248693___2018-7-22_435.jpg

Congratulations on your long waiting vermillion yukari royale pen. The night scene of pavilion is my grail in the yukari royale series.

Wasn't able to find night scene of pavilion, it looks beautiful. I picked up this:

http://i.imgur.com/9dr7l8v.jpg

Mew what a LOVELY pen. Congrats on getting it! For the longest time, I stayed away from Namiki because their pen shapes are very conservative and their maki-e art very traditional. I finally picked up an Emperor, a Yukari Royale and also a Yukari. Their pens and nibs are nothing short of amazing. Heads and shoulders above other makes. At present the Royale is still my favorite size. I already have 2 Emperors and am thinking of picking up a black Yukari as an everyday pen at the end of the year.

Wasn't able to find night scene of pavilion, it looks beautiful. I picked up this:

http://i.imgur.com/9dr7l8v.jpg

fpn_1532982050__img_2991.jpg

Much congratulations on your goldfish emperor. The early autumn made by Kyu Sai (久齋)is my ultimate emperor.

Edited by mjchuang9

Apologies for the late reply everyone.

Mew what a LOVELY pen. Congrats on getting it! For the longest time, I stayed away from Namiki because their pen shapes are very conservative and their maki-e art very traditional. I finally picked up an Emperor, a Yukari Royale and also a Yukari. Their pens and nibs are nothing short of amazing. Heads and shoulders above other makes. At present the Royale is still my favorite size. I already have 2 Emperors and am thinking of picking up a black Yukari as an everyday pen at the end of the year.

Thank you. :) I have bought pens from a lot of makers, and Namiki is still my favourite. As you said, their nibs are really heads and shoulders above nibs of all other makers. I was in the market for a Yukari Royale in Vermillion, but since my regular retailer had no stock and neither did Namiki, I decided to get the Goldfish. It is stunning. :)

fpn_1532982050__img_2991.jpg

Much congratulations on your goldfish emperor. The early autumn made by Kyu Sai (久齋)is my ultimate emperor.

That's a very nice looking pen mjchuang. I believe the artist has now retired. I like his Sakura-Rose.

You seem to have a lot of Maki-e pens. May I ask do you ever use them? I don't know anyone who inks these pens.

@Mew Sorry for the poor iphone photos. I don't have a lot but a few Maki-e pens. I prefer Namiki, and will buy Namiki only in the future. I write with urushi no.20 , no.50, and the new custom urushi, however I don't ink the maki-e pens. Do you? Maybe I will someday. :rolleyes:

Edited by mjchuang9