The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Very Old Mont Blanc 234 1/2...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DasNeves

DasNeves

New

• Member - Bronze+

• 0 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:23

Hi everyone, 

my name is Ricardo I'm from portugal and the reason why I'm here, imagine that… is Pens...

so I found In my father's house this very old pen, talking with him he told me that this masterpiece belong to my great grand father that i didn't knew and my father didn't too… so we think that by the age of my father, (67) this pens could have around 80 to 100 years… is this  possible???  

if so, could any one estimate is value?

his nib is a bit rusty but is in gold, and is about to be "clean" by a gold craftsman … all the rest is in perfect conditions...

i will try to post some pic here...

thanks in advance 

cheers

Ricardo

IMG_3741.JPG IMG_3742.JPG IMG_3743.JPG IMG_3744.JPG

Edited by DasNeves, 02 March 2018 - 12:25.

Sponsored Content

#2 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:34

Hi Ricardo

Welcome to FPN

I think that you will hear some good news if you post again in the montblanc section.

Your pen looks like it is in very good condition but will benefit by some expert help, such as from fountainbel who is a member on here.

The pen is a little bit younger than you think.

#3 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,544 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:41

Welcome home.  Pull up a stump and set a spell. The MB 234½ is perhaps my favorite Montblanc.  Yours looks pretty good but that model was made right on into the postwar era. It's at least a half century old but not too much older than that; still a baby in fountain pen years. There are some seals that may need to be replaced.  I too suggest contacting fountainbel to get it restored.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#4 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 14:54

Beautiful!

Looks in good condition, will probably need a new cork seal, but not much else, by the looks of it.

Congratulations on a great Montblanc 234½.

And welcome to FPN.

#5 farmdogfan

farmdogfan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,511 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 15:59

A very nice old pen, congratulations.

#6 penparadise

penparadise

- - - - - - - - - - - -

• Member - Gold

• 1,591 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 18:12

Sorry to probably disappoint you.

This 234 1/2 is not a Masterpiece or Meisterstück, it belongs to the second line of Montblanc and was build between 1936 and 1942.  Your nib is a gold plated steel nib which is the reason of the rust on it.  Gold can't rust.

Edited by penparadise, 02 March 2018 - 18:13.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968
collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

#7 specialk0449

specialk0449

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 18:20

Congratulations on finding such a nice pen. As Jar mentioned the 234 1/2 is a very nice pen to own. Have fountainbel restore it to its former glory and it will last you a lifetime.

#8 Azuniga

Azuniga

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 19:21

I agree with penparadise...

faountainbel is a great option to restore it, he is in Belgium, but I guess you can also get advise closer to home, (https://www.penalusa.com/) contact Vasco there...

#9 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,479 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 20:00

... but I guess you can also get advise closer to home, (https://www.penalusa.com/) contact Vasco there...

Another vote for Vasco. He is a true gentleman and also resides in Portugal.

#10 penparadise

penparadise

- - - - - - - - - - - -

• Member - Gold

• 1,591 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 21:29

No question, it's a nice pen and can be a nice pen for a daily use again.  But as the value is between 100,00 and 150,00 € in good condition with a new nib and new seals one shouldn't spend too much on a restoration.  On the other hand if one like to keep it as a family remembrance there might be no financial limit.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968
collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

#11 fountainbel

fountainbel

fountainbel

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 18:04

No question, it's a nice pen and can be a nice pen for a daily use again.  But as the value is between 100,00 and 150,00 € in good condition with a new nib and new seals one shouldn't spend too much on a restoration.  On the other hand if one like to keep it as a family remembrance there might be no financial limit.

Hi Axel,

I might be interested in buying a 2341/2 "in good condition with a new nib and new seals" for  this price.

Given this particular pen is an an early version featuring the telescopic filler such a pen will cost considerably more in my experience. 

​I might be mistaken, but as far as I know the market  price for such a pen would more  be around 300€.

Regards, Francis

PS: The cork piston seal holding stud is broken and needs replacement 

#12 BlueJ

BlueJ

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 18:23

I just perused the eBay (US) completed auctions for 234 1/2's in good cosmetic and working condition and saw an average selling price of around $200 or a bit more. Having a NOS nib installed would of course raise the value a lot but where could one find such a nib? I would guess the original pen under discussion had a used replacement nib, not strictly a new one.

#13 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,678 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 00:58

Hi Axel,
I might be interested in buying a 2341/2 "in good condition with a new nib and new seals" for  this price.
​I might be mistaken, but as far as I know the market  price for such a pen would more  be around 300.
Regards, Francis

I have been looking to add a 234 for about a year now. The version like the one in discussion goes for about $225+ with the original nib. The luxury version with the tie clip is closer to what you suggested Francis

#14 specialk0449

specialk0449

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:55

I agree with Francis about the price of a black restored 234 1/2. The luxury version goes for around $475.

#15 rennfahrer

rennfahrer

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:49

The 23x series is my favourite. So many versions, but this style with the D.R.P. two-stage piston is the best in my opinion. Get it restored (not costly) and use it. Francis is awesome in Europe and is a genius with big problems but I dont think your pen needs much. Good luck with your heirloom.

Sponsored Content

|