The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Caran D'ache 849 Ballpoint Owners

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 milkb0at

milkb0at

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:31

I love my Caran D'Ache Fixpencil and I like the 844 mechanical pencil. Now I'd like to buy an 849 ballpoint too.

The Fixpencil beats the 844 partly because it has a matt coating rather than the slick, shiny lacquer of the 844. Which of the 849s have a matt coating? Perhaps the Paul Smith versions? What about the other special editions like the raw aluminium, brut rosé and goldbar?

Thanks.

Sponsored Content

#2 coppilcus

coppilcus

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 19:25

I love my Caran D'Ache Fixpencil and I like the 844 mechanical pencil. Now I'd like to buy an 849 ballpoint too.

The Fixpencil beats the 844 partly because it has a matt coating rather than the slick, shiny lacquer of the 844. Which of the 849s have a matt coating? Perhaps the Paul Smith versions? What about the other special editions like the raw aluminium, brut rosé and goldbar?

Thanks.

I'm afraid that only the 844/849 Black one has a matte finish, almost identical to the fixpencil:

IMG_3078.JPG

I believe the 'Metal Gray Original' has the matt finish as well but it's raw lacker so it's not as matte as the black one and has some 'metallic' effect into it due to the raw aluminum under, I like a lot though...

The gray color of the 844/849 line do not shines as the the rest of the colors, but it's certainly not matte as the black one.

Edited by coppilcus, 02 March 2018 - 21:09.

#3 milkb0at

milkb0at

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 21:27

Thank you. The black one would suit me just fine. I might have to get another 844 pencil too just to "upgrade" the finish.

Sponsored Content

|