Pens With No Step Down Or Long Section

holgalee

The most comfortable pens to me have either long and straight sections (e.g. Platinum Preppy) or no step downs (e.g. Parker 51). I wonder if there are more examples out there? Unfortunately, I don't like aerometric fillers with hooded nibs, neither do I like those pens that need their caps to be posted before they become full length (e.g. Pilot Elite). Would prefer no upturned lip at the edge of the section and definitely no triangular or square sections too.

Bonus points if the pen is made of lightweight metal (less than 20g) of light silver colour. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arkanabar

• johnsi02

• sansenri

• Bluey

Parker 45 perhaps? Or 45 Flighter which is Stainless steel

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Aurora Optima

Sheaffer Targa

Sheaffer PFM and Legacy

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Excellent question! I too love pens with no step! Here's a few that I have or that I'm interested in:

Muji fountain pen

Namisu Orion

Conid Minimalistica

If you're OK with inlaid or almost-inlaid nibs:

Sheaffer Imperial/330/440/444/Legacy

Platinum Desk Pen

If you're OK with a hooded nib as long it's c/c then there's the Jinhao 911

Edited by SoulSamurai

Do you have a price range?

Any of the Sheaffer Imperials or PFM (you might find some where the hood/barrel is metal but the sections on these are plastic)

Platinum Balance

Franklin Christoph Model 20

Vintage Aurora 88/88K/88P (or Duocart) - are hooded but the nib is far more exposed compared to a Parker 51 or a Lamy 2000

Possibly Camlin 47 - I haven't tried it yet but I've had my eye on it for a while - along the same lines as the vintage Aurora 88 design, but much less expensive and steel nib (if that matters). You have your choice of a fine nib, a fine nib, or a fine nib. :)

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

The most comfortable pens to me have either long and straight sections (e.g. Platinum Preppy) or no step downs (e.g. Parker 51). I wonder if there are more examples out there? Unfortunately, I don't like aerometric fillers with hooded nibs, neither do I like those pens that need their caps to be posted before they become full length (e.g. Pilot Elite). Would prefer no upturned lip at the edge of the section and definitely no triangular or square sections too.

Bonus points if the pen is made of lightweight metal (less than 20g) of light silver colour. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you'd like the light, aluminum 'Ice White' Platinum Plaisir, which uses the same nib and section (they're interchangeable) as the Preppy. Under $10 right now on Amazon. (I just bought this exact pen the other day, in fact.)

It's so light I thought it was plastic the first time I held it. Capped it weighs as much as the Pilot Metropolitan uncapped. And it does not need to be posted, any more than the Preppy does.

20140106_95be6c.jpg

20140106_3c4f45.jpg

Edited by tvradio

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

The Muji aluminium seems exactly what you need... Or not!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Section of Faber-Castell Ambition is so tiny that you have to hold the barrel which means a very looong grip.

• 1 month later...

Good question

since I don't like the step down myself, I can think of quite a few to suggest (however several of them do have threads)

Aurora 88 and Optima, Montblanc 146, Pelikans, as mentioned, but section is short on Pelikans

Asa Nauca (screw just before the nib, so no threads or step down at all, but upturned lip)

Bexley America the beautiful (some other Bexleys also, like the Classique)

Deccan Majaz (fantastic shape)

Delta Dolce Vita

Faber Castell Classic (some step down, but very long section)

Faber Castell Intuition (no threads or step down at all)

Kaigelu 316 and 322

Omas Extra stiloforo (desk pen in pen holder)

Parker Duofolds

Pilot 78G

Ranga #8, #8B, (very long section)

Ranga #3 and 3C, Emperor

Sheaffer Balance II

Stipula Etruria, Florentia, Novecento

Visconti Classic, Pontevecchio, Ragtime, Van Gogh

Waterman Liason

In general quite a lot of vintage pens do not have a step down, although they often have a short section and threads (which are however usually not evident to the touch, like in Pelikans)

​Might take a look at Sheaffer TRZ/Fashion, made through joint venture with Sailor, or the Parker Arrow/95.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.