Visiting Berlin, Germany; Suggestions?

citricacidcycle

My girlfriend will be visiting Berlin for a few days and agreed to pick up a pen (or two) for me while there.

Ive been eyeing a Lamy 2000 (EF) for months now, as theyre not readily available here in SE Asia, so I thought it would be great if shed get one (or ANY Berlin exclusive writing instrument) for me in Germany.

Any suggestions on where to shop for Pens in Berlin? Any other things besides a Lamy 2000 that I should ask her to look for?

Thanks!

Edited by citricacidcycle

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• citricacidcycle

• overwriter

• phoenixfeder

• VivienR

Any department store in Germany will offer a variety of pens, including Lamy.

Galeria-Kaufhof or Karstadt are struggling with online shopping

but are still present in most bigger cities.

In Berlin there also is the famous KaDeWe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaufhaus_des_Westens

I don't think there is any writing instrument exclusive for Berlin,

but there will be lots of touristic items available (including writing instruments) that are adorned with

the Berlin Bear, the Brandenburg Gate, the German Federal (or Imperial) Eagle, Black-Red-Gold

or whatever is considered "typically German".

Have a look here:

https://www.zc77.de/cgi-bin/scgi?sid=1&se=1&kd=0&sp=eng&nm=mhtml/home.html&rid=0&ebene=0&menu=laden.html

I haven't been to the shop but I have ordered quite a few pens and inks from them online over the last years.

You can get there with the Berlin subway called U-Bahn, number U9. The website will show you the opening hours (Öffnungszeiten):

Monday to Friday 09:00 - 19:00, Saturday 10:00 to 16:00

As Brandywine suggested Galeria Kaufhof and Karstadt are worth looking at, with some luck they might have some special offers.

You can try Luiban Papeterie at Rosa Luxembourg Strasberg 28 and RSVP Papier at Mulackstrasse 14. Both are great little shops and are in Mitte, the centre of Berlin.

Galeria Kaufhof as other mentioned, I would like to add Papeterie Berlin in Potsdamer Platz Arkade. They have a good selection, stationery as well, it could easily ease a bank account...

Although both places the sales ladies have barely minimal English skills, while I struggled with my diminished German...

Sorry to say, but the Euro to USD rate is not good at the moment. Lamy 2000s retail at 190 ($230) and Id be willing to bet retailers in such an expensive city wont charge less than that. You can find Lamy 2000s on US Amazon for $124.

If youre looking for a good deal, look for a store that sells Pelikan or Mont Blanc. Both are marked up hundreds more when exported to the US. Be sure to check out reclaiming the value added tax (VAT: 7-19%) at the airport on your way back.

While youre in Berlin, consider having dinner at the Restaurant Sphere im Berliner Fernsehturm at dusk. Reservations required but its breathtaking!

Edit: Just saw that you mentioned youre in Asia. Check your exchange rates to see if youre getting a deal or not. Sorry! (Update your location on your profile!)

Edited by DaveyWonder

Sorry to say, but the Euro to USD rate is not good at the moment. Lamy 2000s retail at 190 ($230) and Id be willing to bet retailers in such an expensive city wont charge less than that. You can find Lamy 2000s on US Amazon for $124.

If youre looking for a good deal, look for a store that sells Pelikan or Mont Blanc. Both are marked up hundreds more when exported to the US. Be sure to check out reclaiming the value added tax (VAT: 7-19%) at the airport on your way back.

While youre in Berlin, consider having dinner at the Restaurant Sphere im Berliner Fernsehturm at dusk. Reservations required but its breathtaking!

Edit: Just saw that you mentioned youre in Asia. Check your exchange rates to see if youre getting a deal or not. Sorry! (Update your location on your profile!)

Thanks for the tips! Didn't really take the exchange rate into account.

The US dollar has been surprisingly strong here in the Philippines lately, so it may be beneficial for my wallet to hunt for a pen locally. The thought of obtaining a Lamy (or any other German based pen) in Germany sort of clouded my reasoning.

He is in Philippines.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas