The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

I Still Don't Understand What Obliques Are For

26 replies to this topic

#21 dezorz

dezorz

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:30

geha nibs are very soft. i dont have pelikans, but softer than montblanc nibs from that  era. i like it a lot. on the other hand, out of 7 geha nibs i have 4 of them were/are quite scratchy. ( i have golden fs, ms, bs, ef, steel km, ms, steno) the FS (OF) is the best nib i have ever tried.  metal KM belongs among the  best metal nibs I have tried.

Two posters I respect, stated the Geha nib is a tad better than the Pelikan one....so I tested my 4 Gehas vs 5-6 Pelikans from that era, and was so by a tad. Geha does make a good steel nib....on the 790....so don't be put off by a steel 790....it's as good as gold.

Sponsored Content

#22 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,338 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 18:34

Scratchy nibs are mostly misaligned nibs............with your loupe see which is the up nib, with your thumbnail, from the breather hole press down so the up tine is under the lower tine...hold for 2 to three seconds, check, try it again, it might take 3-4 tries.

That usually cures scratchy. I've had no scratchy Geha nibs.

The other part of scratchy is often holding a fountain pen like a ball point before the big knuckle...with your pens, not a problem for you.....could be for others....newer  to fountain pens.

I have had drag on many old sat in the dark of the drawer for a couple of generations, caused by 'iridium' micro-corrosion......'iridium rust'.

Back in my cheaper days I used a good quality brown paper bag for that.....but most don't know about bag quality any more..........so use only the smooth side of the buff stick....and not a lot is needed. One is not 'grinding' nor making butter smooth.....just removing the drag to get it up to 'good and smooth' the level under butter smooth.

To confuse things even more with 'softer' nibs of the era.....There are semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex nibs that outside of Osmia are not marked.

I chased MB slowly....in they are expensive, and checked the nibs in the live auction. I had and still have a nice semi-flex KOB, one a rolled gold 742 exactly between semi&maxi...the only one I have...27 semi\s &16 maxi's....and a nice maxi on a very well balanced  medium small 146.

Not counting my superflex 100n, I have three early 50's Pelikan maxi's. An Ibis, 500&400NN OF on a Pelikan to 5 semi-flex Pelikans. Three of my Geha 790/760's are semi-flex....one is a Maxi...and my 725 is semi-flex....such a different nib, I'd never expect a maxi....

So outside of Osmia, a maxi is luck of the draw. Osmia's steel nibs are as good as their grand gold nibs...so don't be a fool gold snob, like I was and avoid Geha or Osmia steel nibs.

Everyone says poor Mozart dead at only 36. None say poor Mendelson, dead at only 38. His family only allowed him to start at 20, but before, musicians use to come to the Mendelson garden to steal the music of Mendelson and his sister. A good artist also, can still buy prints of his famous Scottish drawings in Scotland.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pens/inks/paper on hold for a year....new addiction pocket watch chains. :happyberet:

#23 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 00:50

Round obliques like the knox OBB are nor about line variation, they're about a ludicrously smooth, comfortable writing experience.

#24 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,184 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:11

Round obliques like the knox OBB are nor about line variation, they're about a ludicrously smooth, comfortable writing experience.

There’s a lot to be said for comfort.

#25 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:39

and I get both, so...yay? nothing more to fight over :D

#26 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,338 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:25

I think many see the vintage German '50-60's semi-flex oblique patterns of line variation, and want that, rather than a butter smooth nib that could just as well be gotten in a straight nib.

Some people are left eye dominate, and want to see the top of the nib, so such a nib would cant the pen enough for that. It would also give left handers a view of the top of the nib.

I had a couple Lamy nail Obliques....OB now a CI and a OM 27 now in someone else's hand. In I had semi-flex obliques, I was vastly disappointed that there was no line variation.  Same goes for regular flex obliques.

It also helped those vintage German nibs were stubbed.

If one wishes to keep a non semi-flex oblique, I'd think about having it stubbed.

It might give some line variation that plays with the oblique. I don't know...just a WAG.

Everyone says poor Mozart dead at only 36. None say poor Mendelson, dead at only 38. His family only allowed him to start at 20, but before, musicians use to come to the Mendelson garden to steal the music of Mendelson and his sister. A good artist also, can still buy prints of his famous Scottish drawings in Scotland.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pens/inks/paper on hold for a year....new addiction pocket watch chains. :happyberet:

#27 BlueJ

BlueJ

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2018 - 19:13

I think the virtues of the pre-1960 German obliques is due both to the flexibility and the shape of the tip. While maybe not exactly a "stub" as such the contact surface on my MB 334 1/2 OBB has roughly a 3:1 aspect ratio and this, combined with the moderate flex, gives the line variation and character.

The other oblique I have on my desk now is a Parker 45 with an R nib. It is much more crisp and less forgiving, sort of an oblique cursive italic. It is also narrower, about an OM.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|