Greetings From Another Lefty High-School Schmuck

Arotaes

I've been collecting fountain pens for a little while now (couple months) and I've been going crazy for them. Started out with a Metro in F, was kinda unhappy with the fineness and capacity and ink leaking into the cap (still a great pen) and eventually upgraded to a TWSBI 580AL, anodized to Rose, in F. I like the Jowo nibs much more than the Pilot nibs - lot more smoother and broader. Now, I have a LAMY AL-STAR in Charged Green on the way (caught it on the 50% sale and it was already another 50% off, so I ended up getting it for roughly $13 all in.)

I own a few inks, Noodler's Purple Wampum and Walnut, but I don't use them because they're ill-behaved in my 580AL on cheap paper. It's a shame too, they're pretty. I also have a bottle of Rohrer & Klingner's Scabiosa, which is absolutely wonderful and works on any paper, even getting a lot of shading out of it. Beautiful lilac.

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails.

Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arotaes

• torstar

• Chrissy

• Wahl

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Welcome !

The Pilot Metropolitan should not be leaking ink into the cap. Please tell us more.

It is unfortunate, that our world of ballpoint pens, and touch screens, lacks fountain pen friendly paper. The search continues for us all.

Ink capacity has never been an issue for me. I enjoy the ritual of filling my fountain pen.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Welcome!

Glad you are with us!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

Welcome from Columbus Ohio.....

I have never used a TWSBI pen.

I liked your write-up.

When I first saw the title, I saw lefty and it took a bit of brain rattling before I realized you meant left handed; smack head.

Understand that I am also a relative pen newbie, but, I have been experimenting with papers and pens, so, I know which pens and nibs I can use on which paper. So far, I have tested a few different pens, and they all seem to write great on paper such as clairefontaine paper. Expensive but nice. I have found that I like my Pilot Metropolitan with a fine nib, it will write well on all the papers. I have an Esterbrook with a fine firm nib (1554) that has been writing well on all my papers (it has the finest line), and I have a Parker Reflex that really puts down a lot of ink so I need to write much larger than I normally do, but, I can write smaller with it on clairfontaine paper.

To date, I have not yet tried a Jowo nib.

Hello and Welcome to the FPN Family ... hope that you enjoy your time here with us :)

Welcome !

The Pilot Metropolitan should not be leaking ink into the cap. Please tell us more.

It is unfortunate, that our world of ballpoint pens, and touch screens, lacks fountain pen friendly paper. The search continues for us all.

Ink capacity has never been an issue for me. I enjoy the ritual of filling my fountain pen.

Write with joy.

My Metro seems like it's pretty juicy on the nib creep - just by leaving it in my desk drawer for a month-ish after I got my TWSBI I found a couple drops adhered to the inside of the cap. When I post it it gets on the barrel and smudges on my hands after I re-cap it, part of why I don't use the Metro. (also the nib is much too fine for me)

Welcome, do your hook your left hand or write under the ink on the page?

I used to be a sidewriter back when I used Pilot G2s but forced myself to adopt a tripod grip and underwrite when I got my first Metro. Seemed like the best time to do it.

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails.

Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.