The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Untipped Stub Gold Nibs

stub untipped gold

5 replies to this topic

#1 decathlon

decathlon

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 15:36

Recently a grinded a Platinum 3776 Soft fine to a stub. I did it because the nib a got was a dud when it came when trying to fix the nib i ended up removing the tip material. Now i have a underfully smooth stub flexible nib. it is a dream to write with it but i am afraid of using it often and wearing down the gold. Is it safe or am i being too paranoid? I believe Omas also used to have untipped gold stubs.

Sponsored Content

#2 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 15:38

Gold is still metal so the rate of wear from paper will be fairly slow. It b is not like it is going to crumble like a dried leaf when you write with it. I'd just enjoy it as you seem to find the writing pleasurable. Life is too short to worry about the wear rate of your nib.

#3 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 16:08

It is more noticeable for F and EF nibs to wear down. You can get the nib retipped, if it really concerns you, likely will cost more than the nib is worth though. 

#4 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 17:20

Recently a grinded a Platinum 3776 Soft fine to a stub. I did it because the nib a got was a dud when it came when trying to fix the nib i ended up removing the tip material. Now i have a underfully smooth stub flexible nib. it is a dream to write with it but i am afraid of using it often and wearing down the gold. Is it safe or am i being too paranoid? I believe Omas also used to have untipped gold stubs.

Unless you grind the tip into the paper, it should last for years.

#5 BlueJ

BlueJ

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 00:48

You can always regrind the tip as it wears to restore the tip geometry you want. The result will be the nib gradually getting shorter and a little wider but unless you write for hours each day with just this one pen, the nib is likely to outlast you.

#6 Drawing61

Drawing61

Isle of Innisfree

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:54

Don't worry, be happy.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content