Rust In Cap Of Montblanc Heritage 1912

docdroe

Hello!

I have owned a Montblanc Heritage 1912 with its wonderful B nib for a little bit under a year now and a few days ago I took a closer look inside the cap and noticed something that resembles rust/corrosion inside at the end of the cap (where the metal rod sits). I hope it is visible in the attached photo.

I have searched the internet for people experiencing similar problems but so far no results. Hence my question to all the owners of a Montblanc Heritage 1912 fountain pen around here: could you perhaps check the inside of your caps for any signs of rust/corrosion? It might be that I am the only person experiencing this (which would surprise me since I have not been using any inks that could cause this and in general used the pen only very sparingly) but it might also be a problem with this particular material inside the cap. I am a bit concerned that a pen of this price would exhibit such a fault.

I am really curious about that and would really appreciate your help!

Thank you!

post-135216-0-47710500-1519851040_thumb.jpg

Edited by docdroe

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• docdroe

• Chrissy

• thygreyt

• Amit.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You might find this comes clean if you use a cotton bud to clean inside and around the metal rod part. Don't soak your cap in water though.

What inks do you use with your pen? An iron gall ink in contact with that steel part could potentially cause the problem.

Thank you, Chrissy!

I've actually tried cleaning it with a cotton bud already but unfortunately to no avail...

And so far I've only used MB inks (namely Irish Green and Lavender Purple) with this pen, which is one of the reasons I'm so surprised by this staining/rust.

Thank you, Chrissy!

I've actually tried cleaning it with a cotton bud already but unfortunately to no avail...

And so far I've only used MB inks (namely Irish Green and Lavender Purple) with this pen, which is one of the reasons I'm so surprised by this staining/rust.

Is it definitely steel and not brass?

Is it definitely steel and not brass?

Hmm I think that the body of the pen is lacquered brass so it could be that the plate under the metal rod is indeed also brass... Haven't considered this so far, thank you!

I am following this conversation with interest. My Heritage 1912 will return to me in two weeks. And then I will take a close look inside.

That would be wonderful, thank you! Im really curious what the caps of other users look like.

Absolutely. My heritage 1912 has seen daily use ever since I acquired it a few years ago. Mostly MB midnight blue ink.

If you expand your photo the 'rust' is green and purple in colour.

I am afraid the only things I see the rust become when expanding my image is artifcats and noise :).

I would be happy if the solution were just a silly overreaction on my part but Ive made quite sure that nothing that is in that cap at the moment is residual ink and/or can be cleaned away.

If we were to assume that the material was brass, as Chrissy suggested, then possible corrosion could indeed be green/purple-coloured; but in any case would still remain corrosion.

Edited by docdroe

This is what I got when I zoomed,cropped and enhanced the colour of the image. Definitely some green and purple in there, and maybe other stuff.

post-74913-0-80655300-1519900604_thumb.jpg

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

@Chrissy: Thanks! I'm probably more curious than worried at this point :).

Very interesting, I understand what you mean now.

I tried the same with the original image and played with the colours a bit.

It might be my eyes but I think the effect is perhaps a bit less pronounced in these crops (the first one being the original):

post-135216-0-65841700-1519903650.jpg

post-135216-0-47927700-1519903656.jpg

post-135216-0-61216600-1519903662.jpg

Edited by docdroe

Yes, that is actually what I did first thing when becoming aware of it. Understandably, MB asked to send them pen so that they could have a closer look at the problem (and which is what I am going to do once I am back in Germany).

I thought it just might be interesting to investigate with the help of the community whether this is just an isolated case or potentially a more widespread issue (to the latter of which MB would most likely not admit).

In any case, thanks very much for your help! :)

Please keep us posted! As a 1912 user and loved, I will keep. Close eye on this.

Ps, I do plan on always having mine inked up.

I will!

I understand then that your cap doesn't exhibit this?

Thank you so much!

I guess this might confirm the brass theory?

It might be the perspective but it almost seems as if your cap was built a bit differently...

Thank you so much!

I guess this might confirm the brass theory?

It might be the perspective but it almost seems as if your cap was built a bit differently...

I hadnt noticed the build difference until you pointed it out. But it would seem so! I can see the hexagonal part much more clearly, in your images i just cant see them