Is It Just Me Or Does A Nice Pelikan Pen..........

Claud

I was knocked up rather early this morning and thought I had left my cheque book in the boot of my car but straightaway remembered I had left it in my bumbag.

While discussing "American" vs. "British"... "knocked up has a REALLY different connotation here in the States.... B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charles Rice

• Matlock

• zaddick

• Claud

While discussing "American" vs. "British"... "knocked up has a REALLY different connotation here in the States.... B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Lots quirks in the English language.

BTW cheque in Canada as well, we also spell through, honour and colour correctly.

Lots quirks in the English language.

BTW cheque in Canada as well, we also spell through, honour and colour correctly.

How can you claim to spell these words correctly when there are unnecessary letters in the words? ;)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

And then there is the case of a friend of mine who moved here from England to become a dairy farmer. Just about as soon as he got off of the plane in Minneapolis, MN, USA, he asked a passerby where he could find some fags. A rather unusual request especially in 1975.

And then there is the case of a friend of mine who moved here from England to become a dairy farmer. Just about as soon as he got off of the plane in Minneapolis, MN, USA, he asked a passerby where he could find some fags. A rather unusual request especially in 1975.

I was also taught that fag means the butt end of a cigarette and that gay means happy. Imagine asking for fags in the US nowadays with current political climate.

Slavic languages are worse. My uncle travelled to Russia, back when the political climate was really tense. He wanted to say the weather was quite bad to some local, but instead said that Russia hit hard times. Same word, different meaning. He was close to getting locked up, haha.

How can you claim to spell these words correctly when there are unnecessary letters in the words? ;)

Color, Honor etc were quite common spellings in England in Victorian times but we have moved on since then, it's just the US that's stuck in the past :D :D :D . (that was a joke by the way, just in case it didn't translate :D )

Peter

Color, Honor etc were quite common spellings in England in Victorian times but we have moved on since then, it's just the US that's stuck in the past :D :D :D . (that was a joke by the way, just in case it didn't translate :D )

Given we have not adopted the metric system, I am not going to argue with you. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Given we have not adopted the metric system, I am not going to argue with you. :)

That's OK, we have only partly adopted it, we still use pints, and miles and I still buy my jam and marmalade in lb jars. Mind you, the US adopted the metric system for money long before we did. :)

Peter

In the case of words like cheque and tyre, they are 'necessary' to differentiate them from homophones that have very different meanings.

And I've always found it paradoxical that a language that took out 'unnecessary' letters then added 'unnecessary' syllables... competency, et al... nothing wrong with competence!

My native Yorkshire dialect has words you can find in the original Chaucer but our English teacher wouldn't allow them because they were not 'proper' English. BS.

And some parts of the US have words and word-forms that date back to the time of Shakespeare.

The fag anecdote is hilarious... if he'd been to a public (i.e. private) school it would have meant something else again.

In the Newcastle area a cigarette is a tab... plenty of room for confusion there... here in Aus that's a betting shop (TAB).

Ah, it's an argument without end... no rights, no wrongs, and such good fun!

Glenn.

In the case of words like cheque and tyre, they are 'necessary' to differentiate them from homophones that have very different meanings.

And I've always found it paradoxical that a language that took out 'unnecessary' letters then added 'unnecessary' syllables... competency, et al... nothing wrong with competence!

My native Yorkshire dialect has words you can find in the original Chaucer but our English teacher wouldn't allow them because they were not 'proper' English. BS.

And some parts of the US have words and word-forms that date back to the time of Shakespeare.

The fag anecdote is hilarious... if he'd been to a public (i.e. private) school it would have meant something else again.

In the Newcastle area a cigarette is a tab... plenty of room for confusion there... here in Aus that's a betting shop (TAB).

Ah, it's an argument without end... no rights, no wrongs, and such good fun!

Glenn.

As has been said many times about the UK and USA, two nations divided by a common language.

Peter

An old friend of mine got married to an Englishman. She had dinner with his folks and after eating perhaps too much, she exclaimed that she was stuffed. She had no Idea why she got all the looks.

My niece did her junior year of college at the University of Leeds. She said the British seem to have a different word for everything. :)

American English is supposed to be purer than current spoken UK English. Although when I first went to Leeds it was a summers day, the man at the gas station told me that the weather was reet warm.

Edited by Parkette

I'm from the US and spent some time in London last year... fantastic city... made out OK with different words. But the pronunciations?!?!? Leicester is pronounced [LESS ter]?!?! now you're just messin' with us.

I'm from the US and spent some time in London last year... fantastic city... made out OK with different words. But the pronunciations?!?!? Leicester is pronounced [LESS ter]?!?! now you're just messin' with us.

There is a place in England called Loughborough which has a good University for sports science. Loughborough is pronounced Luffburrer.

A friend was visiting from Australia, she wanted to visit Loughborough as sports science was an interest but insisted that the place should be pronounced Lugerbarooga.She would accept no alternative

Oh how we laughed.

She would probably say that we lawgerhed.

Edited by Parkette

One of the best place names is Wymondham in Norfolk, pronounced windum. Costessey also in Norfolk, is pronounced kossee.

Peter

Little woman and I are flying to Heathrow this Summer and renting a car to drive all over England and Scotland for a bit over two weeks. I may need a translator when in Scotland. Been to London three times already so not going there this time.