Bock Stub Nibs

Marten

Good day.

I was wondering if anyone could possibly point me in the direction of a Nib Grinder in Europe (Germany/UK) please? I would dearly like to try a stub nib on my Namisu. I know that Bock offer italic stubs but that is not exactly what I am looking for. Well, not right now as I do not believe that I am nearly accomplished for these. A friend is visiting Germany at the moment and I have already had a few nibs delivered to him. Any ideas maybe please?

Alternatively I will then have to possibly look elsewhere for instance the USA and have these mailed to me which is also perfect. It would obviously just be easier, not to mention faster, if there were recommendations in Europe. (I reside in South Africa)

Many thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marten

• Jamerelbe

• woleizihan

• RocketRyan

Top Posters In This Topic

Fpnibs? You can buy a nib unit and have it ground to a stub. The price is very good and I've had positive experience with them.

Thank you. Just looked them up but I would have to send them a unit to work on. However, I think that I would probably have to go this route.

Beaufort ink sell bock nibs http://www.beaufortink.co.uk/ they are also a pleasure to deal with. I have acquired two nibs from them a #5 titanium and a #6 palladium. I also have a bock 1.1 stub and it's a great nib, one of my favourite steel nibs in fact.

Strangely enough that is exactly where I obtained the nibs which my Friend will be bringing back for me! And yes an absolute pleasure to deal with. Maybe I should simply grab the stub and be done with it. Well for now. I am probably going to have to send a unit off to someone in any case. Thank you very much.

Thank you. Just looked them up but I would have to send them a unit to work on. However, I think that I would probably have to go this route.

If you have an existing pen with Bock nib unit installed, you could order a JoWo BF nib from fpnibs.com ( They only come in Medium, but can be custom ground to a fine stub or cursive italic (or, if you want to be daring, an architect grind!). According to Pablo's YouTube video (see below), these particular JoWo nibs have a different shape from their regular #6 nibs, which makes them a good fit for Bock nib units. My latest Namisu pen arrived with a damaged nib (no joy so far getting any reply re a replacement!), so I've ordered one of these, custom ground, to swap into the pen. [i'd still like a working nib from the manufacturer, though!]

The aforementioned YouTube video, for your viewing pleasure:

All that said, your *easiest* option, probably, would be to find a European reseller who stocks Bock nibs (Beaufort Inks in the UK is the only supplier I'm aware of), and can sell you a 1.1mm stub. I have one of these, and it writes very nicely.

[Edited to remove duplicate paragraphs]

Edited by Jamerelbe

Thank you so much Jamerelbe! Appreciate you taking the time to even include the video.

Yes, what I did last night was to simply order a stub from Mr Dart. And another B. and a BB. Sigh... My concern is just that I don't believe that I am able to use an italic stub to its full potential but after checking around a bit more, realised that I simply do not have the funds to send off a nib for grinding anyway. (Looking at roughly $110 all included) So the italic type nib it is for now.

I am certainly going to explore the Jowo option thank you!

Sorry about the damaged nib... Generally they are fairly fast with their responses. Well, that was my perception. What size was it?

@Marten, it was an EF nib - I find Bock makes fantastically smooth EFs, and I wanted a pen that would write on more absorbent paper.

Unfortunately Namisu have been very poor at maintaining open lines of communication during this Kickstarter campaign, and I haven't heard back from the message I sent 4 days ago (nor my follow-up message yesterday).

You can order a BF nib, custom ground, from Fpnibs.com for under 20 Euros (plus postage) - that's a pretty spectacular deal, and Pablo is in my experience an exceptional craftsman. Definitely worth keeping him in mind for another time, if you've ordered what you want for now. Just be aware, the B and BB nibs won't be stubs, they'll have rounded tips...

Many thanks.

Yes, I thought that while I was ordering that I might as well grab a few extras. No point paying postage and that just for a single nib.

Will be contacting Pablo most certainly...