Today I'm reviewing Cult Pens Deep Dark Blue ink.
Cult Pens Deep Dark Blue is one of the 6 inks in the “Deep Dark” range that are made for Cult Pens by Diamine Inks.
Deep Dark Blue is a very saturated ink that can show a little shading with finer nibs, and some great red sheen. I found it flowed very well with all of the pens I tried it in, felt quite wet, and it’s lubrication was really smooth across the page.
It’s a really deep, dark blue and lives up to it’s name very well. It’s darker than all of my dark blue comparison inks, only Diamine 1864 Blue-Black was darker. I predict that this ink will darken even more, if you keep your pens filled with it for a while.
My review was written on 100gsm smooth coated paper, that is not absorbent, and I saw no spread or show-through. I saw some nice red sheen though. The lines were crisp, but it took longer to dry on this coated surface than on some of the other papers I tried it on.
On Field Notes paper it didn’t spread or feather. Writing on the reverse side of all of the papers I used would be acceptable as show-through doesn't look as bad on paper than when it is scanned and shown on screen.
It's not sold as a waterproof ink but showed some water resistance.
It stained my hands, particularly near to my fingernails. It took me several washes with bar soap and a couple of days before my hands were clean again. It didn’t stain my pens or the insides of my converters that I rinsed out with warm water as usual.
- Flow Rate: Excellent - quite wet
- Lubrication: Very good - felt smooth across the page
- Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
- Start-up: Immediate.
- Saturation: Very saturated
- Shading Potential: Some shading seen with F nib.
- Sheen: Fabulous red sheen on Tomoe River paper. Check it out on Seven Seas & Hobonichi papers even with this scanned image.
- Oxford paper
- Silvine Notebook
- CiaK by InTempo
- Field Notes
- Hobonichi Techo paper.
- Tomoe River 52gsm paper
- Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not seen on any paper I used, even Field Notes
- Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after several days in the pen
- Staining (pen): Not seen after several days - easy clean-up
- Staining (hands): This is a hand stainer. Use bar soap for several washes or Lava soap
- Clogging: Not seen.
- Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof, but shows some water resistance.
- Availability: Available in 80ml and 30ml bottles plus International sized cartridges from Cult Pens web-site.