Desirability Of Duofold Models

Artillero

Fellow Collectors,

I decided that the next addition to my small collection will be a vintage duofold fountain pen and I have a couple in mind. I would now like to get opinions from those of you who have some expereince with these pens before I make my decision. I am looking at a Red Senior single band Duolfold which has a Duofold delux nib and a feeder which is not the spear type but the one which came afterwards if I am not mistaken. The color is good with only slight brassing on the cap band and nib is in nice shape. The sac has been replaced. estimated date of the pen is 1926/7. The second is a green jade Senior Streamline Duolfold with some discoloration to the barrel and two gold bands on the cap. Otherwise the color and pattern of the barrel and cap is striking. The nib is a nice condition Duolfold nib with a spear feeder. I don't see any brassing on the clip or cap bands. Estimated date is 1931. The owner says that he has completely gone over the pen. Both pens are button fillers and niether have any chips, cracks nor bite marks. Are there any aspects of these pens which stand out as not matching? Would both stand up well to regular (but not daily) use? Are both made of permantine or is the red pen made of hard rubber? From a collectors point of view is either one more desirable/rare than the other? Originally did the Red Senior Duofold pen cost more new than the Streamline Jade Duofold? They are both selling for generally the same price.

Thank you in advance for your comments,

Ricardo

post-39949-0-93230500-1519777157_thumb.jpg

post-39949-0-02614900-1519777170_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artillero

• Florida Blue

• FarmBoy

• peterg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both pens are made from celluloid (Permanite). If you do use a Duofold for daily use I would not post the caps as the lips are known to get hairline cracks.

Personally, I think the Big Red Duofold is both the nicer of the two in terms of collectability and condition. Every Parker collector wants a nice Senior-sized, red Duofold in their collection.

A jade Duofold with excellent color would sell for more than a red Duofold, but I would say the color on that jade is only o.k., better than average, but not necessarily collector-grade. If the barrel were the same color as the cap, it would be quite a desirable pen. I believe both pens would have retailed for $7 when they were made.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Thank you for your answer. I note that the Red Senior has a comb feed instead of the Christmas tree feed and that the nib is marked Duofold Deluxe. Is this a proper combination for a pen of this vintage or possible evidence that this was changed sometime in the past?

Thank you for your answer. I note that the Red Senior has a comb feed instead of the Christmas tree feed and that the nib is marked Duofold Deluxe. Is this a proper combination for a pen of this vintage or possible evidence that this was changed sometime in the past?

In my opinion, the nib and feed are later replacements since that style of feed and the "DeLuxe" moniker didn't come out until several years after that pen was made. However, since the nibs were guaranteed it's possible that the original owner damaged the nib and sent it to Parker to be replaced and the factory only had the current nibs and feeds in stock.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

That is what I suspected but this will be my first Duofold so I wasn't sure. Would the presence of a Deluxe nib and feed be considered a detractor or any improvement for a collector/user or does it even make a difference to most people since they are of generally the same vintage? I understand that the comb feed was advertised as an improvement for flow. The nib and feed on the Green Jade pen look like they to together from what I have been able to glean from my reading.

With the issues listed I'd say neither one is a collector grade example but rather both are users. Buy the one you like the best. If you are buying pens as an investment these are bad choices.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Farm Boy-yes,I agree. As I use all of my pens, I am not necessarily looking for a drawer queen but instead would like a good representative model that is pleasing to look at and use occasionally. I dont necessarily mind signs of good honest wear. Marks tell a story as long as there are no signs of misuse such as chew marks or mismatched parts where someone tried to present an object as something that it isnt. I am not looking to make money on the purchase.

They both look good, without too much discolouration on the jade. The 'Big Red' is definitely the more iconic pen. I would be proud to own either/ both, but would your wallet stretch to both?

That is what I suspected but this will be my first Duofold so I wasn't sure. Would the presence of a Deluxe nib and feed be considered a detractor or any improvement for a collector/user or does it even make a difference to most people since they are of generally the same vintage? I understand that the comb feed was advertised as an improvement for flow. The nib and feed on the Green Jade pen look like they to together from what I have been able to glean from my reading.

While technically not original, I don't think the slightly later nib and feed would detract much from the value of the pen. It's not unheard of for Duofolds to have replacement nibs, which may have been done by Parker at the request of the original owner. I've seen several Duofolds with Vacumatic nibs, which were probably installed in the 1930s. Still, a serious collector would want a totally original pen.

Edited by Florida Blue

Florida Blue and other members,

I found this other pen below which I understand is a deluxe Streamline and would like your opinions. It is a bit more than I originally had in mind to spend (tad less than $200) but it appears original and is completely serviced.

Thank you,

Ricardo

post-39949-0-61505200-1519870203_thumb.jpg

post-39949-0-10567000-1519870222_thumb.jpg

post-39949-0-11889100-1519870271_thumb.jpg

Florida Blue and other members,

I found this other pen below which I understand is a deluxe Streamline and would like your opinions. It is a bit more than I originally had in mind to spend (tad less than $200) but it appears original and is completely serviced.

Thank you,

Ricardo

I think you would be better off spending less money on one of the first two pens. Its hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the barrel and cap might be a mismatch. The cap appears to be from a black and pearl Duofold and the barrel from a marbled Duofold (maybe green and pearl). Either way, both the cap and the barrel are badly discolored.

Florida,

Thank you for your feedback. I decided to go with the Jade Senior Streamline Duofold. I didn't particularly like the way the Red Duofold seller answered my questions and after looking at fotos of the pen more closely, I didn't think that it was an in as good shape as the Jade. What also factored in was that the owner of the Jade pen had completely disassembled, ultrasonically cleaned and gone through the pen to include changing the sac while the Red Duofold was just checked for function. I paid 100 dollars out the door for a nice dove grey 1946 Parker 51 with blue diamond 14 K gold filled cap at the show this past weekend and the seller had checked the filler but not changed it since all was functioning properly. This Jade Duofold cost $145 shipped and serviced so it seemed like a fair price. This is my first Duofold (and probably my only one) so I am looking forward to filling it and doing some writing.

Regards,

Ricardo

post-39949-0-11352900-1519953048.jpg

post-39949-0-42395300-1519953080.jpg

Hi Ricardo

I think you did well. Jade is a nice color and the Streamlined Senior a good sized pen. For a user pen just perfect in my eyes.

...and for collecting, you still gan go and look for a nicer Jade example like this:

39437162354_7a04eb11d1_o.jpg

...which is definitely a "drawer queen" and does not see any use (not as long as it is my drawer).

C.

Edited by christof