The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Hard Rubber Barrel Thread Crack And Loctite 480 Post Cure Clean Up

crack loctite 480

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 uilleann

uilleann

NOS (New Old Stock)

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:02

So I have used Loctite 480 to repair 4 barrel and cap cracks.  3 of them were on the threads.  And it seems to work great even when there is tension on the gap from putting a section in.   The stuff is black and blends in pretty well with BHR but I just did a red swirl and it is pretty noticeable.  The only way I know of to clean it is to use a dental pick, a head loupe, and bright light to pick away at the 408 till the red shows through.

Is there a better way?   I would love to chase the threads but is there any tool that can chase multi-start threads?

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:13

Use a lathe.  Chasing multi lead threads is no different than chasing single lead threads, you just chase each thread start one after the other.  Make sure you properly set up the part and it runs true.  I'd use a 4 jaw chuck and support the open (threaded) end with a steady rest or chuck it up very close to the threads.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2018 - 18:12

Use a lathe.  Chasing multi lead threads is no different than chasing single lead threads, you just chase each thread start one after the other.  Make sure you properly set up the part and it runs true.  I'd use a 4 jaw chuck and support the open (threaded) end with a steady rest or chuck it up very close to the threads.

And if someone doesn't have a few thousand dollars worth of machines and tools rolling around, how is one to do that? 

#4 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 1,129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2018 - 19:07

And if someone doesn't have a few thousand dollars worth of machines and tools rolling around, how is one to do that? 

By hand. Slowly with a dental pick.

#5 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2018 - 22:47

This way:

The only way I know of to clean it is to use a dental pick, a head loupe, and bright light to pick away at the 408 till the red shows through.

:)

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#6 Rowbo

Rowbo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:40

Try flossing

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

#7 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,075 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 13:37

Would it be possible to use an electric drill as a lathe if it was securely clamped in a vise or the jaws of a Workmate work bench?  Just a thought.

#8 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:16

Would it be possible to use an electric drill as a lathe if it was securely clamped in a vise or the jaws of a Workmate work bench?  Just a thought.

It would be a bit hard to engage the lead screw.  

There are tools for chasing threads by hand.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#9 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 14:24

Standard thread angle is 60 degrees. Use a equilateral triangle needle file to clean up the threads. Break off the end and grind it sharp so you can also use it like a burin.

There is no need to use a lathe if the existing threads only need to be deepened. And if you are using a lathe, it's best to use it without running under power.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crack, loctite, 480

Sponsored Content

|