The Best Solvent For ......

nigelg

...... ballpoint ink.

In another thread I wrote that my Parker jotter had been throught the wash and leaked somewhat. I've ditched the refill but what is the safest solvent (if that's not a contradiction in terms) to remove the leaked ink from the insides of the barrel and cap, bearing in mind that the outside is (stainless?) steel and there's probably some plastic gubbins inside.

I know, I know, it's not an FP and ink but it is still a very useful writer at work and home and I jolly well don't want to throw it away.

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nigelg

• Chrissy

• pen lady

• Corona688

Top Posters In This Topic

Methylated Spirit or if you don't have that, Vodka

Even one better, grain alcohol if you can find it. Depending on where in the US, one can find 180-200 proof grain alcohol, and that will work even better than vodka, being that it has less water. Denatured alcohol in the hardware store is essentially the same thing. Isopropyl alcohol from the drug store will also work.

Modern plastic ought to be immune to spirits of any sort. Only plastic I know that's affected by alcohols is celluloid, and that's a mild effect only on a very particular kind.

You can also get methyl alcohol, i.e. methyl hydrate, i.e. wood alcohol in the automotive section as "gas line antifreeze". It's also fuel for certain kinds of candles and stoves.

All of these are flammable, come to mention it :)

Edited by Corona688

xylenes

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Xylenes are difficult and expensive to buy in the UK as they can't be sent by "normal" mail. I have a full bottle of Xylene but wasn't sure if I could use it on any FP's, so didn't mention it.

Here also, one has to have a license from Customs & Excise to buy IDA (Industrial Denatured Alcohol - methylated spirits that is not coloured purple.) Fortunately, I still have one from ceramic restoration when I used gallons of the stuff.

(Buying these pales into insignificance when you try to buy Phenol here. Not possible.)

I've got them currently soaking in some 100% proof Vodka which has turned a rather fetching shade of blue :D. If my writing becomes a bit squiffy afterwards, I'll blame you lot. :rolleyes:

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

I've got them currently soaking in some 100% proof Vodka which has turned a rather fetching shade of blue :D. If my writing becomes a bit squiffy afterwards, I'll blame you lot. :rolleyes:

:yikes: 100% proof vodka??? Wow is that even possible?

Well, it says "100 Proof" on the front of the bottle but 50% by vol on the back and it's made in Italy. So perhaps I should be shaken but not stirred.

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

I think that in the UK Isopropyl Alcohol is called surgical spirit. Good luck.

Thanks, I had no idea. Took me ages to find some isopropyl - and I'd had a bottle of surgical spirit in the bathroom, the whole time!

Ah, but did anything finally work?

I'll leave them soaking overnight and check tomorrow but it looks hopeful.

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

'880' ammonia diluted in de-ionised water to 10% by vol. worked on my Montblanc Generation bp (with MB refill) after it had been put through the washing machine!

I had disassembled it as far as I could: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/277180-montblanc-generation-bp-help/?do=findComment&comment=3166255

Flushed with pure water and carefully dried and lubed after. It still works well and suffers no PTSD.

The chemicals were analytical grade, as I had the fortune to work for a company that had a chem lab at the time.

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.