What Is This Lucky Curve?

cherylmarie

I got a new pen today, and the more I try to research it, the more confused I get. It's a big pen, 5.5 inches capped and about 7 inches posted.

The inscription reads "Lucky Curve" and has patent dates in '05 and '12. The nib also says "Parker Lucky Curve Pen 5". The clip says "parker" and has a patent date of 5/16. It has the number "25" on the end of the barrel.

It is the same size and looks exactly like a Senior Duofold, but it doesn't say duofold anywhere. What is the difference?

I'm thinking that the material is black hard rubber, but could it be bakelite? When I look closely under light, it almost looks like mottled very dark green.

What does the number "25" indicate?

And I thought Sheaffer naming conventions were confusing!

fpn_1519699508__img_0090.jpg

Edited by cherylmarie

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cherylmarie

• FarmBoy

• peterg

• joss

One of the best places to find information is http://Richardspens.com. If you go there and do a search for 'lucky curve' you will find a very good explanation. There is a good image of what a lucky curve feed looks like.

Richardspens.com is a great resource not only for this question but if you have any pen related question it is a good place to start.

Edited by linearM

I have a pen with a similar imprint. Before I bought it I looked up information on the site bsenn posted the link to, only I saw nothing that looked like it in the article about Lucky Curves. So I posted here, describing the pen as best as I remembered (I hadn't bought it at that point, so I had no photos). And I was told that it was a Duofold, and could reliably be dated to about 1926 because that year they *only* put "Lucky Curve" on the imprint (IIRC, before that pen imprints said both, and after that they just said "Duofold").

So I'm guessing that your pen is also a really early Duofold. Because mine doesn't have a clip, just the ring top, I'm not sure what all the text on the clip means. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

I'm also guessing that it's probably BHR (or possibly celluloid) and NOT Bakelite....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That parkerpens website is awesome, but raises more questions -

I was thinking that "lucky curve" was the model name of the pen, since it's so prominent on the inscription. Does it only refer to the feed and my pen just has no model name?

I don't know if I have the "jack knife" cap. It does not have a "jack knife" inscription on the cap. Is there a way to tell by looking at the inside of the cap?

25? Parkerpens website lists many various pens which are "25" . I can't figure out if it's a size, a configuration of materials, or a date code?

So far I haven't separated the section from the barrel. If I decide to refurbish it, is it okay to knock out the nib on a lucky curve feed?

I guess the "5" on the nib refers to a size, is this a parker standard or a standard across many manufacturers?

I read a little about BHR and I think it probably is BHR. I haven't handled many others and I'm accustomed to seeing chasing or lines. This pen is smooth. What's the best way to do a little surface cleaning?

This is my favorite part of the hobby - getting unknown pens and learning about them and (hopefully) being able to get them working again.

I really appreciate all of your comments!

I would hazard that it is a Jack Knife probably 1916 - 23.

Lucky Curve relates to the feed system which predated the Duofold pen, originally used on their eye dropper pens. Early Duofolds used this system but they were imprinted with 'Duofold' as well.

So far I haven't separated the section from the barrel. If I decide to refurbish it, is it okay to knock out the nib on a lucky curve feed?

I would not knock it out.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

You cannot knock out the nib without destroying the 'lucky curve' due to its shape.

I opened the pen yesterday, and the lucky curve is missing. I was researching on the internet and read that sometimes repairmen would remove it, apparently this was done with my pen.

I haven't attempted to use it yet, I need a size 21x 3 1/4 necked sack, which I don't have.

Should I try a 20 or 22 straight sac until I can get the proper one sent?

I opened the pen yesterday, and the lucky curve is missing. I was researching on the internet and read that sometimes repairmen would remove it, apparently this was done with my pen.

I haven't attempted to use it yet, I need a size 21x 3 1/4 necked sack, which I don't have.

Should I try a 20 or 22 straight sac until I can get the proper one sent?

Just use a 20 and it will be fine.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#25 refers to the size of the pen. Your #25 sized pen has the correct #5 Lucky Curve nib.

These are two advertisements which, in my opinion, show your pen. The bottom picture shows a #24 pen with the same appearance, except size, of your #25 pen:

fpn_1519984187__plc1917.jpg

fpn_1519984280__plc1920.jpg

Edited by joss