The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Pelikan 100N - Seal Replacement Needed?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WJM

WJM

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 18:06

So I got a Pelikan 100N. 

Unfortunately, the piston is leaky. I tested it with water and very quickly I noticed that the water got behind the piston seal. Also, the piston mechanism doesn't seem to make a tinest resitance when I use it which is kind of suprising. 

I suppose the seal isn't good? Or something's missing? I'm not really sure how it should look like or what to do with that.

If seal replacement is needed where could I get a matching part and how to install it?

Also, there was this sort of a thin o-ring on the mechanism - it was loosely dangling on it (visible on the second picture). I don't know what it is but it's broken. 

piston2.jpg

piston.jpg

Edited by WJM, 26 February 2018 - 18:17.

Sponsored Content

#2 penjog

penjog

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 15:21

Hello,

try to contact Pelikan, Germany, sometimes Mr. Dittmer offers to repair it, if there are retails in the archive.

Otherwise you can purchase an other one, asking if it is ok. They are not seldom in Germany.

Hansjürgen

#3 siamackz

siamackz

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 16:42

Check out the bottom of this page https://vintagepens....acs_seals.shtml

#4 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:07

Check out the bottom of this page https://vintagepens....acs_seals.shtml

Seconded, since you are adept enough, to get the piston out, changing the seal should not pose a problem
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

#5 Stylomeister

Stylomeister

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 16:44

Roger Wolfe (custom pen parts in the UK) also makes these gaskets a little more like the original but in white.  I've used both David's and Roger's.

Don't worry about the washer, that comes out with the old gasket.

Edited by Stylomeister, 25 March 2018 - 16:44.

#6 mori45

mori45

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2018 - 17:47

+3 to https://vintagepens....acs_seals.shtml. Based on your description, the seal shrunk, which is why there's no resistance. You'll be able to remove the old rubber seal and replace with one of the new one's from David's site. 100N barrels shrink over time, so you'll need to check for fit and might need to sand down the new seal to get a proper fit. Once you know the seal fits, apply a bit of 100% silicone grease to lubricate it and you'll be up and running in no time.

Edited by mori45, 25 March 2018 - 17:58.

#7 WJM

WJM

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2018 - 19:12

Thank you all for your helpful answers, but unfortunately additional trouble appeared and I had to take another route.

As I tried to remove the old seal, the ending piece of the piston rod, with the seal, broke off. Whether it was damaged to begin with, or it was my fault, I don't know. 

Searching for parts on eBay I found an incomplete Pelikan 120 - just a barrel with piston mechanism, no nib, feed and cap. I bough it for the piston rod, and luckily the 120's seal, although a different type than the original one, also seems to fit very well in my 100N.

Edited by WJM, 25 March 2018 - 19:16.

#8 Stylomeister

Stylomeister

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 16:00

Great! It wouldnt be the first time that has happened BTW.

#9 drrusso

drrusso

Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:11

Thank you all for your helpful answers, but unfortunately additional trouble appeared and I had to take another route.

As I tried to remove the old seal, the ending piece of the piston rod, with the seal, broke off. Whether it was damaged to begin with, or it was my fault, I don't know. 

Searching for parts on eBay I found an incomplete Pelikan 120 - just a barrel with piston mechanism, no nib, feed and cap. I bough it for the piston rod, and luckily the 120's seal, although a different type than the original one, also seems to fit very well in my 100N.

Hello WJM,

Congratulations on finding the spares.

I wish you all the best!

Maybe a new seal has to be put in ? As the one you found in the bay, may also be very old & shall not last long. With time, rubber tends to loose its qualities, isnt it.

Best regards,

Arvind.

P.S: Please post a picture on how the job has come up.

Best regards, Arvind.

Sponsored Content

|