• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ebberman

• Ricky2011

• Hanoi

• k3eax

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks k3eax for pointing that out. The link was a copy of the website, but when I try the link now it does not work.

A Brief Company History
http://hans.presto.tripod.com/images01/sax1711.giftaken from: www.platignum.co.uk/history.html
8. Oct. 2000

1919 Platignum Pen Co. started life as the Mentmore Manufacturing Company, named after its first premises - Mentmore Terrace in London. The company's first product was a self-filling fountain pen with a gold plated nib which sold for 6d (2.5p).

1925 The first replacement nib unit was developed - a revolution in pen design. The Platignum name was also introduced, and the slogan 'As good as gold' to reflect the use of stainless steel for the first time. Mentmore was anxious to register the name Platinum but was unable to do so because it could have contravened the laws of product description - as they existed at that time. To overcome the problem, a company was registered in the name of the "Platignum Pen Company" in 1925, and products carrying the brand name "Platignum" were introduced.

1925 Platignum was the first company to use injection moulding in the production of their pens.

1930 Mentmore went public with a nominal capital of £6000.

1939-45 The outbreak of the second world war meant that Platignum were only allowed to produce 25% of its pre-war pen output, with the major production concentrated on munitions, aircraft parts and cap badges. The War Office entrusted the company with the making of special 'spy' pens which could contain maps and compasses. A deadlier model was also produced for use by secret agents - it contained a poisoned dart which could kill at 20 ft!

1950 The company marketed their own version of the ballpoint pen for 5/- (25p)and soon after invented the retractable ball pen. Platignum, also around this time, invented ink cartridges.

1957 A move to Stevenage meant more space and allowed the company to diversify into plastic stationery accessories and fibre-tipped pens.

1984-93 Platignum relocated to its present site in Royston and expanded its interests again by acquiring an array of companies including Ivy stationery and Gluetek (now Platignum's Paints and Adhesives division.

1997 Platignum acquired by Adare Printing.

Platignum History taken from:
www.platignum.co.uk/history.html
8. Oct. 2000
http://hans.presto.tripod.com/images01/greydotbar350x01.gif [View a screen shot of www.platignum.co.uk on Sep.30, 2000 courtsey of the Internet Archives]

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...