The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Osmiroid - A Short History

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ebberman

Ebberman

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:41

http://hans.presto.t...osmiroid02.html

I find it interesting. Rather than copy & paste it I've given you the link.

Sponsored Content

#2 Ebberman

Ebberman

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 15:44

Berol Ltd bought Osmiroid in 1989.

Sanford UK has been formed by the

amalgamation of six separate companies. The Sanford product range now includes Parker Pens, Paper Mate, Berol, Waterman, Rotring and Sanford.

Then, I believe, Sanford UK was bought by Rubbermaid.

It sickens me that these firms swallow up smaller firms simply to close them.

Osmiroid was a small fish swallowed by a bigger fish which in turn was swallowed by an even bigger fish which was swallowed by a whale. 

Goodbye Osmiroid. It's thanks to you that a whole generation took up calligraphy.

#3 Methersgate

Methersgate

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 21:05

Just so. I think I used Osmiroid pens - at first the 65, then the 75, for the whole of my education.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

#4 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 23:59

I still use them. They have decent calligraphy nibs in a wide variety of sizes and formats. Some of them accept Esterbrook nibs and Esterbrook can use some of the earlier Osmiroid nibs as well.

Overall it can be a dependable pen with versatility of nibs. They also can be found for "less expensive" purchase prices.

Be sure to keep in mind "caveat emptor"

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#5 Ebberman

Ebberman

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:47

I have a few of the later nib assemblies, but literally hundreds of brand new earlier ones - the ones that fit Osmiroid 65 & 75. Italic, music, rolatip, mari, shorthand, mari left-hand et cetera. I should off-load them. I can't use them all. When I take up a hobby I get a bit obsessional and have to buy the paraphernalia wholesale - "I don't know what I need so I had better buy it all".

Circumstances cooled me off in the form of three autistic children.

If you are short of a nib or two let me know.

#6 MercianScribe

MercianScribe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:42

Dribbling and frothing, I've just let you know!

And yeah, I agree about Osmiroid wholeheartedly, from their worth to their demise. They were excellent nibs, but the plastic was always a bit substandard I guess... even then, they supplied more several generations of budding calligraphers, and still do!

Hi, I'm Mat

:)  

Sponsored Content

|