The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Queen Victoria's Dip Pens

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountainPenOfYouth

TheFountainPenOfYouth

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:25

Queen Victoria wrote thousands of pages worth of diary entries. Does anyone have any idea what dip pens (wooden? silver?) and nibs she used?

The best I know so far is that she probably used Gillott nibs since they were officially pen makers to the Queen.

Sponsored Content

#2 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 18:49

If someone could claim (and they did) to be pen-makers to the Queen then they did provide the Queen with her pens for a period of time. They may not have been the sole  providers, but would have been a real provider of pens. 

As to the holder, I rather doubt she used a prosaic wooden holder. Anything's possible, but if you consider any woman of any means had a writing set with a holder usually of silver or pearl or some other special material, then I doubt the Empress of India was using a common, wooden, holder. 

I would not be surprised to learn that she may also have used gold nibs as well as steel. I'm sure she had writing sets scattered all over her residences. 

It's obvious I have no specific information, just an idea of what people wrote with at the time. Have you tried the Birmingham Pen Museum? They may have more detailed information. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#3 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 21:01

I have looked at a lot of dip pens in the last few months and the nicest ones in the 19th century seem to have been made of precious wood, mother-of-pearl and sometimes agate with gold-plated sleeves and solid gold nibs.
Her Majesty’s instruments would probably be similar, except that the pens would be sized to her hand, probably with hallmarked solid gold sleeves decorated with enamel and jewels. The nibs would probably be customized to her writing preferences. I’d imagine that she’d order them through her jeweler.
Every so often a bit of royal frou-frou comes into “Antiques Roadshow UK” and it’s always the highest of high-end work. I imagine the records of the Queen’s jewels and jewelers still exist and would make interesting reading.

Sponsored Content

|