The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Broad Nib For Townsend

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ncpenfan

ncpenfan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 19:31

Anyone know where to find a broad nib for a townsend? Ebay and google have not been helpful. Thanks.

Sponsored Content

#2 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2018 - 19:46

Anyone know where to find a broad nib for a townsend? Ebay and google have not been helpful. Thanks.

Cross have them on their website in S/S and 18k.

Peter

#3 ncpenfan

ncpenfan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 22:57

I had checked the website. Unfortunately they only have fine or medium. In a prior discussion, I was informed that the company no longer makes broad nibs.

Best to everyone.

#4 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:41

I think the Townsend is sold with only fine and medium nibs now. However, it looks like they might have some sort of nib exchange program (like Parker) under their lifetime guarantee. Perhaps contact Cross directly. You may be able to send a pen in with a fine/medium nib and change it out for a broad. Otherwise you might have to troll eBay until a broad nib Townsend comes up for sale.

I sent them Sauvage a few years ago that had a nib and feed that were misaligned (mine own fault for writing in the dark). For a fee of $10 they gave me a new nib unit in exchange for the old one, but I had to send the pen to them in Rhode Island.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

#5 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,542 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:15

I had checked the website. Unfortunately they only have fine or medium. In a prior discussion, I was informed that the company no longer makes broad nibs.

Best to everyone.

Checked again and you are correct, sorry for building up hopes.

Peter

#6 MrThoth

MrThoth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 15:12

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Broad nib for a Townsend. I think I have one Townsend with a XF nib, but those are pretty rare and AFAIK aren't manufactured anymore. (Once I am able to get my collection out of boxes and re-organized, I will try to find the XF nib and take a picture of it.)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

#7 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,094 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:01

Cross has (at some point in time) sold Townsends with broad and even double broad (BB) nibs. I suppose since the nibs were made by Pelikan, Cross in theory could have ordered any size that they wanted since Pelikan made nibs ranging from XF to OBB. 

Here is a link to a review of an 18k gold filled Townsend that has a factory BB nib. I imagine these were quite uncommon, and maybe a special order or some sort.

Whoops: forgot to post the link:

http://www.fountainp...ed-gold-finish/

Edited by Florida Blue, 27 February 2018 - 22:59.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

#8 Jerome Tarshis

Jerome Tarshis

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,574 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:12

One of my three Townsends has a broad nib. I bought it on eBay some years ago. I didn't know broad nibs were any kind of extreme rarity. Until just now.

#9 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2018 - 21:19

........ I didn't know broad nibs were any kind of extreme rarity. Until just now.

me neither!

4 of my 7 have B nibs - 3 x SS and one Gold, which may actually be a BB

the SS nibs have rounded tips whereas the Gold nib has a Stubby end, and does look like BB of my Pelikan m400.

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

#10 riskmaker007

riskmaker007

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:40

I have some