Converter For Lady Charlotte

Madeline

I am new to the forum and I've been exploring some of the older postings related to fountain pen converters and cartridges.

I have a Lady Charlotte, which uses short international cartridges but I would like to find a converter. I have read (online elsewhere) that the Lady Charlotte "…takes one of the two types of Waterman CF converters which are no longer made." I am wondering what "CF" refers to... and especially, how does one differentiate between the types of older-style Waterman CF converters? I have seen some older Waterman converters online. In fact, Pentooling may have what I am looking for, unless the "Ladies" come in different sizes (I know the Lady Patrician is different). So I am still trying to puzzle this out.

I may try out the readily available Monteverde mini converter, but I would especially like to find an old Waterman converter for this Lady Charlotte, if they exist. Any thoughts?

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Madeline

• Left FPN

• sidthecat

• RMN

CF means cartridge filling system but in the true sense the Lady Charlote is not a CF pen even though it accepts cartridges.

When you read the term Waterman CF pen it refers to the early cartridge pens (1950-70's) manufactured by Waterman. Their cartridges are slightly different to the modern Waterman cartridge so they will not fit and nor will a CF converter.

Have a troll here to see the differences.

As far as I know Waterman do not manufacture a short or mini converter but you might find a third party short International that will. Otherwise, another option is to syringe fill the short cartridges.

A quick Google revealed this or this

Read here also.

Thank you! Your photos (showing the many different converters) are incredible. So it sounds like there is no Waterman converter that would fit the Lady Charlotte?

In the other links, the squeeze-ink converter looks like a good possibility (among the mini converters), but it's out of stock and the linked supplier is looking for a new source. I rather suspect that the manufacturer is no longer in existence. Looks sweet, though.

I've also looked at the Templars. Certainly small enough (very!) But maybe refilling cartridges will turn out to the most practical way of using bottled ink in this pen. Thank you again for the linked postings, photos, and other links. I realize now that, in spite of reading those posts earlier, I probably should have linked my question to one of those rather than starting a new post. Still learning the ropes, here...

--Mark Twain

Kaweco also make a mini converter

They have piston version, here:

https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/kaweco-mini-piston-converter-p-7456.html?language=en

And also a squeeze converter (elsewhere on the same webshop)

They are indeed mini sized.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Thank you, both. You are indeed the wizards of the converter! I will follow up on all of these suggestions. The Kaweco looks quite interesting. Its dimensions suggest it could work. Research pending.

Thanks, again!

M

--Mark Twain

I have ordered two of the Kaweco mini converters from Pen Chalet, so that's at least one place that has them for sale. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

• 2 weeks later...

To revisit this topic after I came across this Lady Elsa picture,

attachicon.gif s-l1600.jpg

Nice pic. Use for the converter topic?

D.ick

~

~

Force, thank you for this picture of a Lady Elsa with a converter. Valuable data! I'll look for the dimensions of a Lady Elsa and see how they compare to a Lady Charlotte.

In looking again at my Lady Charlotte--especially the interior of the barrel--I've realized that there is something like an inner ring inside the barrel, and that might impede a converter unless it's tapered at the anterior end. Up until now I hadn't considered that kind of a limitation. In fact--and I hate to admit this but--I've been measuring the outside of the barrel and assuming it was completely hollow and would give me some clues as to what might fit inside. Ah, this learning curve...!

--Mark Twain

• 4 weeks later...

You can find them here and there. I run a Lady Elsa with an identical converter. I think I searched eBay for “old style Waterman converter.”

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Force! Incredible!--model number and everything! And thank you, sidthecat! With the information both of you have sent me, I think I will soon have a converter that fits. I have one in the mail right now, coming from Germany. I don't know its model number but I hope to be "testing" it soon. Will let you know the results!

--Mark Twain

The converter in the top left corner looks very much like the one I ordered, so I am very hopeful! And sidthecat measured Lady Elsa (with dimensions very similar or the same to those of Charlotte) which takes the same converter. So all things are pointing to success. We await the post!

--Mark Twain

This one shown in a catalogue is 89508, which looks very much like the one installed in the above pen.

attachicon.gif DSCN2651.JPG

Please also place this pic in the cartridge converter pinned topic!

~

~

• 2 weeks later...

The converter has arrived and it fits! Yesterday I tried it with Iroshizuku Shin-Kai, but the script was very light. Today I will try it with my standard Waterman Serenity Blue and see if I can get better results. The ink is moving through the converter and into the feed, so hopefully I can get better results with another ink. If not, I'll try cleaning the whole pen again (have been through this many times but maybe I still haven't cleaned this pen well enough. It was neglected for many years until I discovered FPN.) Thank you for all of the incredible help in finding this converter (especially those photos, Force!)

--Mark Twain

I’ve been informed that these pens write dry (which has been my experience) so you might want to try inks that are on the wet side.

Thank you! I'll steer in that direction. Do you have any favorites? I am just beginning to learn how very different inks can be (e.g., I've read that Waterman inks may be wetter than Pelikan inks). Do you have any suggestions for specific wet inks? I also plan to follow up on all of those related threads right here in FPN but if you have any favorites, I would love to hear them. (Thanks, too, for your help earlier in pointing me in the right direction for a converter!)

--Mark Twain

I’m known around the office as an enabler.

Lately I’ve been getting good results with Pelikan Edelstein - their Smoky Quartz is delicious and of course in short supply. Personally, I like my inks on the dry side because with all my other eccentricities I’m also left-handed.