The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

A Fountain Pen-Like Nib For A Dip Pen?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountainPenOfYouth

TheFountainPenOfYouth

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:52

I got a dip pen but I was wondering if there are any nibs that write like a fountain pen? I mean like a nib that isn't scratchy like the highly pointed ones I already have.

Any suggestions?

Edited by TheFountainPenOfYouth, 25 February 2018 - 03:52.

Sponsored Content

#2 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:27

There are dip pen nibs that have tipping on the end, One of my favorite is a vintage #3 M.O. Thompson nib, a more modern nib is a 512 Hunt Ex-fine.

Another option is to have a dip pen holder custom made to fit a fountain pen nib and feed, which will allow you to extend your writing between each dip. This is often done with Esterbrook Renew-Point nibs, which are interchangeable. Could also be done with modern Jowo nibs I suppose.
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#3 TheFountainPenOfYouth

TheFountainPenOfYouth

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:07

Thanks so much Jakob! Do you have a stub/italic fountain pen-like nib you'd also recommend?

#4 Incongruent

Incongruent

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:10

The Speedball/Hunt C series are fairly smooth italics (perhaps too rounded for some calligraphy scripts, but that's a matter of preference).

#5 DanF

DanF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,905 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 18:13

Try a Brause Bundzig 1mm italic nib. It comes with a little reservoir clip that will allow you to write much longer between dips. You might be able to find one locally if you have a good art supply store where you live. 

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

Posted Image

#6 Astron

Astron

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 18:26

Look for "Kugelspitzfeder". German for ballpoint. Or ballpoint as it is.
This Swiss shop has some in their shelves. http://www.kalligrap...itzfedern.html/

Ordered there myself once or twice.

#7 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 19:02

Some people have used fountain pen replacement nibs as dip nibs. Worth considering.

"ball point" is a bit different to a dip pen than a fountain pen. You don't get the great big iridium sphere, just a little ridge of steel, unless you get an antique "gold nib".

The smoothest writing dip-nib I have is the Hiro Leonoardt 41 aka Hiro Crown. It's a bit odd - spoon nibs are usually rigid, but this one has significant flex. That plus the slightly textured tip make it a lot smoother writing than a rigid nib.

#8 Andrew_L

Andrew_L

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2018 - 19:11

I got a dip pen but I was wondering if there are any nibs that write like a fountain pen? I mean like a nib that isn't scratchy like the highly pointed ones I already have.

Any suggestions?

http://www.fountainp...kinson-product/

"ipse se nihil scire id unum sciat"

Welcome to: http://lenskiy.org

or

Facebook: @ArtDesignPenS

Telegram: @ArtDesignPenS

Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS

#9 Ryan5

Ryan5

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2018 - 19:06

Which script are you trying to write?

#10 Andrew_L

Andrew_L

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2018 - 21:44

Strange, but I can not edit my post # 8 so I will write here. Most vintage pens of the 20s-30s have flexible and semi-flexible nibs that you can write ALMOST like a dip nib.

Like this:

http://lenskiy.org/2...-great-britain/

or this:

http://lenskiy.org/2017/07/steel-black-№12-fountain-pen-with-flexible-steel-nib-j-p-france/

or many more….

17891284_m.jpg

17801175_m.jpg

or

#11 GMCustompens

GMCustompens

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 08:56

Early fountain pen nibs were made from gold due to it’s flexibility and resistance to corrosion features. However, today most of the nibs are crafted with stainless steel or gold alloys for there great strength and durability. If a nib is made from pure gold, they are usually tipped with metal like iridium or some metal from the platinum family.

The nib has a small slit at the center that helps bring ink down to the tip by the way of capillary action. Additionally, you will also find a tiny “breather hole” on top of the nib that will help bring air back into the reservoir to prevent vacuum formation. It farther acts as a stress-relieving point that prevents the nib from cracking due to the repeated flexing that occurs during its use.

Nibs come in varying tip shapes, materials and sizes. There are three basic shapes of nibs which include round, stub, and italic. Round is the most common shape and provides a fairly uniform-looking line on the paper. Stub and italic shape nibs are typically used for calligraphy.

#12 Andrew_L

Andrew_L

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 15:27

GMCustompens :

But (no one) modern nib can't write as dip nib!

And only a few vintage nib from 10-30s it can.

ps: steel nib from 40-50s (not modern) is good flexible, and some even more than gold. Yep:)

or

#13 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 17:05

If a nib is made from pure gold, they are usually tipped with metal like iridium or some metal from the platinum family.

I've never seen a "pure gold" nib. The common gold nib is one of 14K, 18K, or (Sailor) 21K -- or 58.333% (though nibs are commonly marked 585, not 583), 75.0%, 87.5%.

Higher karat rating doesn't necessarily translate to a softer nib -- it is the other metals with which the gold has been alloyed that tends to control the hardness/firmness of the nib.

#14 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,997 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2019 - 17:46

Hicks nibs (of which I've collected several) are outliers; not the most flexible, but carefully made and very good writers.

You'll have to compete against me for them, of course.

Sponsored Content

|