Cleaning Dip Nibs Before First Use

CraigR

I have just started to get more interested in dip pens and nibs. My understanding is that nibs initially have an oil like coating on them from the factory that needs to be removed prior to first use. In my web surfing on the subject, I came across a blog post that suggested sticking a nib in a potato for 15 minutes and then rinsing with water prior to use. Has anyone heard of this?

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astronymus

• Bluey

• ReadyFireAim

• CraigR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I came across a blog post that suggested sticking a nib in a potato for 15 minutes and then rinsing with water prior to use. Has anyone heard of this?

It's the classical way, yes.

I wonder if alcohol would do the same as it is an oily coating.

attachicon.gif IMG_0769.JPG

attachicon.gif IMG_0106.JPG

Desiderata / Leonardt-G & Pelikan Violet 4001

Awww, what a sweetie! And she has her own very nice box....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

One calligrapher, on YouTube, says she has a small glass of alcohol (rubbing) on her desk to clean a nib and a glass of water to remove trace alcohol. She dips new nibs into the alcohol and cleans a nib three times, drying on a lint-free cloth each time. Then dips and dries three times in the water. Her warning is to not touch the nib with the fingers after cleaning so as to not pick up finger oils on the nib. Have tried it, it even worked well for Brause Rose nibs. That impressed me, as getting a Brause Rose started is often quite a task.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

That impressed me, as getting a Brause Rose started is often quite a task.

My experience (as a new person to this nib and only about 24 hours logged)

The tines must be together when you start. (one tine hitting first will make it not start...They have to hit the paper at EXACTLY the same time)

Sometimes you must "stick it" - pause...and go from there or...

You must go backward just a bit. (as if ascending)

Any pen lift longer than 3 seconds will dry the nib...(You must be fast when you lift to put it back down)

I have become so comfortable with this nib now that the dry starts are almost not an problem.

The Brause Rose is my favorite nib and I'm in no way any kind of calligrapher.

(I might rate as a penman apprentice :P )

Do not fear the Brause Rose as I once did...It is a wonderful nib and not just for experts.

Edited by Nail-Bender

I've had the best luck with toothpaste and toothbrush.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I used to lick it. Then someone mentioned that you probably don't want to ingest machine oils. Now I spit on paper towels and rub. All the other methods may work, but who wants to wait fifteen minutes to get a nib ready? Or stand up and deal with a toothbrush at the sink?

There was a run of Hunt nibs with horrible performance, people eventually realized they'd ended up with silicone oil on them at the factory somehow. Carburetor cleaner was necessary to clean them.

Edited by Corona688

Alcohol, Tooth paste , Saliva or quick second of running through a flame does the same cleaning to take off the original Factory coating from the Dip nibs. This coating is the prevention of rust before any nib sitting in the pack.

Raw Potato was the oldest method and a very reliable way to clean the nib which I do prefer on my dip nibs. It prevent any damage of the original treatments that carries the nib. over using the alcohol or heat of the flames can change the quality of the nib to a certain level. So I have few potatoes in the fridge and they stay long very fresh for some times. Using the potato is easy and it is just one pick in to the level of the nib's dipping to the ink well and the acidity of the potato well help to remove the oily coating instantly . It is not 15 mininutes picking .

Alcohol, Tooth paste , Saliva or quick second of running through a flame does the same cleaning to take off the original Factory coating from the Dip nibs. This coating is the prevention of rust before any nib sitting in the pack.

Raw Potato was the oldest method and a very reliable way to clean the nib which I do prefer on my dip nibs. It prevent any damage of the original treatments that carries the nib. over using the alcohol or heat of the flames can change the quality of the nib to a certain level. So I have few potatoes in the fridge and they stay long very fresh for some times. Using the potato is easy and it is just one pick in to the level of the nib's dipping to the ink well and the acidity of the potato well help to remove the oily coating instantly . It is not 15 mininutes picking .

Heating is the worst you can do to a nib. This will change the crystal structure of the metal and affect its properties and performance.

Heating is the worst you can do to a nib. This will change the crystal structure of the metal and affect its properties and performance.

That's true, but I think they only mean swishing the nib through the flame 2 or 3 times, for less than 1 second. That's what you're supposed to do, but not for cleaning it as that's not the purpose of running it through the flame. The purpose of this is not to clean it, but to temper it.

It has already been tempered when it leaves the factory. And you won't temper it in "less than 1 second". Even that thin sheet metal won't heat up enough in that time.

But some people think they have to heat the nib up. This would change properties of the steel. It will get softer and less springy. If you do this intentionally, ok. But don't blame the manufactuerer for a bad performance after such mistreatment. ;)

1 second may not sound like a lot but it's is a relatively long time to heat a sheet of metal that thin. I would rather err on the side of caution and heat it less than more.