My First Piston Pen With Ink Window

stuckinohio

Hello,

Here's my first piston pen with an ink window. Also my first pen with transparent section and end caps! The blue and white bodies are Omas. The transparent pieces are old acrylic blanks I had. I have a Jowo #6 nib fitted in it. The piston filler is from Richard Greenwald.

Thanks for looking,

Lewis

post-139875-0-53242800-1519490367_thumb.jpg

post-139875-0-50671800-1519490456_thumb.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stuckinohio

• pitonyak

• Tasmith

• SoulSamurai

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you! The cap was supposed to be the same color and material as the body (blue Omas) but the cap flew out of my hands while buffing, so I had a "design opportunity"...!

Thank you!

I wish the piston was my mechanism. It's one that I think Bexley used in the past, but that's second hand information. I'm toying with making my own right now because these are no longer available. It's just the assembly, so I bore out the body and attach an ink window then press the piston in. Works well.

Did you play for THE Ohio State?

No, though now that you mention it, it could be construed that way. Maybe I'll change that!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, a good looking pen, BUT beware - you'll spend half your time checking to see how much ink you have used. Might as well paint the window black and get some rest.

Thank you, I was wondering if you were going to post!

Nope, mums the word!

I took a class where I made a ball point pen. I considered trying to make a fountain pen, but I do not have the required equipment, nor the space to store it; well, maybe if I removed my table saw, surface planer, etc.....

I went looking at what I needed to make one and it was a bit disheartening when I realized that not only was I not able to make one even if I relied on using a friends shop to turn a blank, but that making a Fountain Pen is way more complicated than a ball point pen if for no other reason than because you need to thread some stuff.

I understand that there is a guy in Columbus (name withheld since I have not spoken with him and do not know if he would want me posting it) who will essentially do a one-on-one class with you and the two of you will make a pen. Based on the price that I was quoted, he does it because he is a swell guy as opposed to him looking to make money (meaning it must just barely cover the cost of materials). I intend to send him an email, introduce myself, and ask; since it would be so cool to be able to say "I made this pen; I had a lot of help, but I did it".

I brought my 10 year old to a pen making class and we each turned our own pen and brought home a ball point pen. She LOVED it, as did I. But if I were to get in to pen making, I think that I would prefer to make myself a fountain pen.

I'm pretty sure there's fountain pen kits that basically require the same level of equipment and skill as ballpoint kits? I do think kitless pens looks better of course.

Pitonyak, if you mean making a kit fountain pen it's boo different than making a kit ballpoint or roller ball pen. Simple.

If you mean kitless pen of any sort then they are totally different and each type of pen have their own nuances but all of them require threading.

I'm not aware of anyone who teaches kitless pens in Columbus. I'd be curious who this is

Pitonyak, if you mean making a kit fountain pen it's boo different than making a kit ballpoint or roller ball pen. Simple.

If you mean kitless pen of any sort then they are totally different and each type of pen have their own nuances but all of them require threading.

I'm not aware of anyone who teaches kitless pens in Columbus. I'd be curious who this is

Michael Hughes in Grandview Heights, OH

www.specialtyturneddesigns.com

The entire group may end up going out there. He is in the Central Ohio Wood Turners group and they create ball point pens that are given to some veteran honor guard people (hope I got that correct). The intent is to get a group of people together to make these pens after he trains them. I think that you already know how to turn, but, my guess is that you would really enjoy this as well.

It seems that you can even cast your material (or something like that).

I intend to try to get out to see him either tomorrow over lunch time, or next week when I am not trying to finish a deliverable at work.

If you want more specific information, let me know, but I am not going to place his personal email and cell phone number on a public site. But he indicated that I can share his contact information. I had a great conversation with him.

Andrew

Michael and I are good friends. Michael does kit pens only. I'm trying to turn him over to the dark side and making kitless.

You'll love his shop BTW. I may show up to provide assistance to him and teach. It'll be fun.