Mek, Paint Thinner, And Plastic Welds

siamackz

For fixing barrel cracks in vintage celluloid pens...

I can't find MEK. But:

1. Will generic paint thinner that painters typically use work?

2. Why is acetone (nail polish remover not a good substitute)?

3. Will plastic weld work - something like this --> link

Thanks so much!

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bibliophage

• siamackz

• Ron Z

• Corona688

MEK and acetone work with the same plastics Acetone though less aggressive is less toxic. Slightly. MEK would be better, but some areas don't allow it because of its toxicity.

The Plastruct plastic weld is MEK and methylene chloride. It may work. Here is the MSDS for the Plastruct. Always useful reading.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I can't find MEK. But:

I use cellulose thinners, as my MEK source.

In the UK Cellulose thinners are readily available. I can buy a small glass bottle of it on the high street*.

Ensure adequate ventilation and no naked flame, add patience - and you should be alright.

Enjoy.

* for example. No affiliation, but I have used this brand before. Effective.

It's not very high grade thinners (think: gunwash), but it does the job. Best left to cure over days, if possible.

http://www.wilko.com/wallpaper-paste+preparation/wilko-cellulose-thinners-125ml/invt/0182560

Thanks for all the help, very useful information!

1. Would this work then https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B001GU4BK8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519346095&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX118_SY170_QL70&keywords=cellulose+thinner&dpPl=1&dpID=41EVEWVutLL&ref=plSrch

a special blend of pure solvents that will mix with any make of cellulose lacquer. It does not contain any xylol, toluene or any other petroleum derivative and is not classified as a petroleum mixture. Box contains 1 x cellulose thinners 125ml

2. And were saying this is definitely is better than just plain acetone right?

3. Also, would this work for creating a celluloid slurry that can be used to fill holes in celluloid barrels?

Edited by siamackz

As I said earlier, look up the MSDS for the product if you want to know whats in it. There are some things there that I don't recognize, but also ethanol and methanol i.e alcohols. I don't see the chemicals that I know will solvent weld plastics. I would not expect it to work.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

"Does not contain any xylol, toluene or any other petroleum derivative" excludes nearly all compatible solvents. Ethanol and methanol supposedly work on some celluloid but not most, their activity must be very mild.

Edited by Corona688

Thanks for the responses!

As I said earlier, look up the MSDS for the product if you want to know whats in it. There are some things there that I don't recognize, but also ethanol and methanol i.e alcohols. I don't see the chemicals that I know will solvent weld plastics. I would not expect it to work.

"Does not contain any xylol, toluene or any other petroleum derivative" excludes nearly all compatible solvents. Ethanol and methanol supposedly work on some celluloid but not most, their activity must be very mild.

Acetone is too volatile for good solvent welding of celluloid. It tends not to make a good solid join, and there are often bubbles left in the material.

If you cannot get MEK, try ethyl acetate. Best to get lab grade. It isn't expensive, and it's much less toxic than MEK. Some people feel it works better than MEK on celluloid.

Most alcohols are too impure to solvent weld celluloid well, and they tend to dissolve the camphor more than the cellulose nitrate.

Acetone is too volatile for good solvent welding of celluloid. It tends not to make a good solid join, and there are often bubbles left in the material.

If you cannot get MEK, try ethyl acetate. Best to get lab grade. It isn't expensive, and it's much less toxic than MEK. Some people feel it works better than MEK on celluloid.

Most alcohols are too impure to solvent weld celluloid well, and they tend to dissolve the camphor more than the cellulose nitrate.

Got it, thanks! I need to source out some chemical supplier now because MEK isnt available in general retail

Got it, thanks! I need to source out some chemical supplier now because MEK isnt available in general retail

That plastic welder you found earlier was mostly MEK.

• 1 year later...

I know it's resurrecting an old topic, but I managed to end up with a tiny crack in a blue Esterbrook, and started hunting around.

I _think_ my father still has some MEK stashed in his workshop, but if not, I found that you -can- still get MEK at some hardware stores. Look for Distributor Tube Cement. It's 35-50% MEK, and 10-20% acetone. I do NOT know what the rest of it might be, because the MSDS sheet doesn't list anything.

You can also check marine suppliers. (Boats, not Jarheads)

Note that an Esterbrook J is not made from celluloid.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Note that an Esterbrook J is not made from celluloid.

I believe this is a J-series (blue marbelized) However, MEK works on a LOT of different plastics - not just celluloid.

If anyone in Canada is trying to by MEK, I bought my can from Canadian Tire. It was a year or so ago, but maybe they still sell it. The clerk was very intrigued when I told him why I wanted it.

It appears that the Esterbrook J's ARE celluloid - if you get one of the 'marbled' ones. The solid colors are injection molded. (I spent some time reading up on that last night and this morning)

I can't find MEK. But:

2. Why is acetone (nail polish remover not a good substitute)?

3. Will plastic weld work - something like this --> link

Thanks so much!

aceton needs to be clean. there a several grades. it will also only work with acetate

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.bermond.be

MEK is still available in Texas. I just picked up a small can at a local hardware store for under $10. I could have picked up a gallon for $24. Unfortunately they don't sell it in anything _smaller_ than a quart. Also picked up some new camel hair brushes. Luckily, my crack is brand new, so it shouldn't take any cleaning.

It appears that the Esterbrook J's ARE celluloid - if you get one of the 'marbled' ones. The solid colors are injection molded. (I spent some time reading up on that last night and this morning)

No, they are not. They are cellulose acetate, which is different than celluloid, AKA nitrocellulose. Related but different.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens