Lamy Joy Calligraphy That Just Won't Write!

Bexinthecity247

So some while ago I bought the Lamy Joy calligraphy set in tin but could NEVER get it to write smoothly, if at all sometimes. It was skipping all over the shop.

Anyway I assumed that maybe some pens were just not meant to write well and put it aside and pretty much forgot about it.

I recently came to find the tin and now want to get it to write better - is there anything I can now or is the pen beyond it?

'Someone shoot me please.'

~the delectable Louisa Durrell~

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RMN

• Bluey

• Bexinthecity247

• LizEF

Top Posters In This Topic

Skipping is presumably an ink flow problem. There are several things you can try, some more risky than others:

1. a good cleaning (if that wasn't initially done, or now that it's been sitting around a while); make sure to use something like Dawn that can get any oils out / off
  2. trying a different ink may help
  3. using a brass shim to clean between or widen the gap between the tines
  4. using the other methods (there are YouTube videos) to make the nib wetter

If the "write smoothly" comment means it was rough (as opposed to just being another way of saying it wrote dry / skipped), then you can:

1. make sure the tines are aligned
  2. try micromesh to smooth it

I would try the first #1, then the second #1, then the different ink, then 3 & 4 as needed, then the micromesh.

Thanks LizEF - I'll try flushing it and the different ink.

It skipped constantly out of the box.

When it did actually flow it was a smooth writer - just kept skipping and I gave up.

It's been in a box under the bed for a long time but I really want to start calligraphy again and don't want to buy another set.

'Someone shoot me please.'

~the delectable Louisa Durrell~

A few remarks.

The Joy is a calligraphy pen. Those nibs are very particular to the way you hold them on paper. They are crisp italic nibs. Just a tiny bit of hand rotation will lift one end of the flat nib of the paper, resulting in the nib losing contact and nibflow stopping. So make sure your had position is constant.

If the pen has been in a box somewhere for a long time, with ink residue, the flow will not be good. My ad vice is to pull the nib, and soak nib and section for a night in plain water.

Then flush the section repeatedly with a converter or one of these small bulbsyringes (ear bulbs or baby snot suckers) available at any decent pharmacy.

Then replace the nib and try again.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

A few remarks.

The Joy is a calligraphy pen. Those nibs are very particular to the way you hold them on paper. They are crisp italic nibs. Just a tiny bit of hand rotation will lift one end of the flat nib of the paper, resulting in the nib losing contact and nibflow stopping. So make sure your had position is constant.

If the pen has been in a box somewhere for a long time, with ink residue, the flow will not be good. My ad vice is to pull the nib, and soak nib and section for a night in plain water.

Then flush the section repeatedly with a converter or one of these small bulbsyringes (ear bulbs or baby snot suckers) available at any decent pharmacy.

Then replace the nib and try again.

D.ick

I wouldn't recommend soaking in just plain water because that does nothing unless the OP wants to wait a few decades. Need to add some detergent of some kind to break down and remove the oil, as that's what interferes with flow.

Edited by Bluey

I wouldn't recommend soaking in just plain water because that does nothing unless the OP wants to wait a few decades. Need to add some detergent of some kind to break down and remove the oil, as that's what interferes with flow.

As I understand it is not a new pen, so I am not sure Oil is the culprit.

Normally I would first flush with water and if that didn't help use stronger.

Because this has been lying around for years I would soak first to dissolve the ink.

But a drop of dishwashing soap won't harm.

Best would be an ultrasonic cleaner.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

As I understand it is not a new pen, so I am not sure Oil is the culprit.

Normally I would first flush with water and if that didn't help use stronger.

Because this has been lying around for years I would soak first to dissolve the ink.

But a drop of dishwashing soap won't harm.

Best would be an ultrasonic cleaner.

D.ick

It's possible because a great many people never clean out their pens, and dirt and grime is likely to have an oily component. Oily components and water will just sit there next to each other like the best of buddies, and that's why dish washing liquid is necessary.