The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Ink For 447?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JessLJessup

JessLJessup

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2018 - 14:06

What is a suitable ink for a dipless base like the above?

Jess

Sponsored Content

#2 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2018 - 23:56

I have just begun with dip pens and discovered that Pelikan 4001 ink worse well with them, so I would expect it to work nicely with your 447 dip-less pen.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#3 PaFitch

PaFitch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 17:19

If you can find vintage inks (Parker, Sheaffer, Waterman in particular) they work superbly in the dipless ink wells. Because the ink never sits inside a pen and because the Esterbrook renew points are hardy, new inks (including some of the potent chemical mix versions) do not damage things. A search on this forum will turn up quite a few threads on the dipless sets, including pictures showing the disassembly of the ink well for thorough cleaning. One warning about soaking, if the lid has a decal and it sits in water for any amount of time--you'll lose it (don't think anyone needs to guess too hard how I know that :(

The 444 units have a glass base that I think is tougher than the 447 (which is plastic). That might make some difference in how they resist a potent ink.

Sponsored Content

|