The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ink For 447?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JessLJessup

JessLJessup

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2018 - 14:06

What is a suitable ink for a dipless base like the above?

Jess

Sponsored Content

#2 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 19:38

I feel that the best ink for one of these is a mild, "easy" ink that can tolerate being reconstituted with water should it dry out, and be easily cleaned off of your pen should it dry out. Waterman, Parker, Sheaffer, Pelikan are all good bets. Basically, ink made by a pen company is generally a good bet. 

You can also use any other fountain pen ink, from an iron gall to a dense pigment ink, but you're more likely to have trouble with those than with a general, fountain pen ink. 

I wouldn't recommend dip pen ink, like india or even walnut ink. Even though there are no real feel channels to get clogged, they tend to not be as easy to clean should they dry on a nib, especially india ink or sumi ink. (let alone guache!)

Others may have differing opinions, so your mileage may vary, but that's my two-cents. 

That all said, I have used iron gall ink in a 444. It worked ok, and when it dried out, I was able to wash it out, but it also seemed to dry out faster than fountain pen ink. And it was much more difficult to clean from the 1555 nib unit. Not sure why it dried faster. May have been the specific iron gall I used. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

|