The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Eastern Show, Cambridge

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:49

Anyone going to this on Sunday, March 4? I'm hoping to make my first visit to this one, although I have to work later.

Anyone know if John of Twiss Pens will be there? Is there an exhibitor list?

Sponsored Content

#2 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 14:05

Anyone going to this on Sunday, March 4? I'm hoping to make my first visit to this one, although I have to work later.

Anyone know if John of Twiss Pens will be there? Is there an exhibitor list?

We are going. It’s a nice show. And we will probably combine it with a visit to the Fitzwilliam, as the Park & Ride stop is just outside.

Not seen an exhibitors list yet. John Twiss was there last time I went. I think John Hall of Write Here is going. I might send Ian Williamson an email as he usually has a list for the shows.

Verba volant, scripta manent

#3 david6

david6

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:06

I’m going along to the show and I’m almost sure that John Twiss will be there also.

#4 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,097 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:18

That's good! Had a look at his website and that says he will be there. Hope it warms up by then!

#5 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,585 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 15:21

Show update from John Hall (Write Here) this afternoon....

Seems to have been a SNAFU regarding the pen show in Cambridge this Sunday. Apparently the organisers have recently discovered that it clashes with the Cambridge Half Marathon. The hotel/venue did not seem to know about it, consequently no-one involved with organising the show was informed until recently.
Routes into Cambridge from the M11/A10 side (via Trumpington St) will be closed, as well as other thoroughfares. Streets around the city centre will also be closed and restricted, and even exhibitors and vendors at the show may have difficulty accessing the venue.

If you are planning to attend best to check beforehand.

I think we will cancel our visit :-(

Edited by migo984, 27 February 2018 - 15:26.

#6 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 15:37

That is really bad news Migo, I went with my dad 2 years ago, its a small but friendly show but important in the pen calendar. I know that there are a number of people in London for example that are were planning on going - and making a weekend trip to Cambridge as part of the trip with hotels already booked.

Not good at all.

Edited by Parkette, 27 February 2018 - 16:11.

She is never one to let humility get in the way of a confrontation.

#7 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,585 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:43

That is really bad news Migo, I went with my dad 2 years ago, its a small but friendly show but important in the pen calendar. I know that there are a number of people in London for example that are were planning on going - and making a weekend trip to Cambridge as part of the trip with hotels already booked.

Not good at all.

It’s disappointing. I think if visitors are booked into Cambridge hotels then they should be ok to walk around the city centre to get to the venue. I was planning on driving in from south Hertfordshire & my route in would be badly affected. I’m also not sure the Park & Ride I was going to use will run as usual.

#8 cambian

cambian

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 February 2018 - 19:43

As a Cambridge resident I'll be going along (had been due to run the half as well but that's a different story).

I didn't know pen shows were a thing until just after last years so will be my first time. Thought I had seen that one of the previous years had coincided with the race but the course was changed last year in a way which increased the road closures and in particular boxes the Doubletree hotel.

There's some information on road closures here: http://www.heart.co....-road-closures/ which suggests that Trumpington Park and Ride will be running, although stopping slightly further from the hotel.

#9 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,585 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 20:21

As a Cambridge resident I'll be going along (had been due to run the half as well but that's a different story).

I didn't know pen shows were a thing until just after last years so will be my first time. Thought I had seen that one of the previous years had coincided with the race but the course was changed last year in a way which increased the road closures and in particular boxes the Doubletree hotel.

There's some information on road closures here: http://www.heart.co....-road-closures/ which suggests that Trumpington Park and Ride will be running, although stopping slightly further from the hotel.

Thanks for the information. I hope they get a good turnout at the show.

#10 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,097 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:25

Anyone know if there will be problems walking there from the train station?

#11 david6

david6

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2018 - 15:05

That is bad news. Im staying in a hotel 4 miles from the venue - as usual. I usually drive and park in the Doubletree by Hilton car park. Now I havent the faintest idea how to get into the show.

#12 LizB

LizB

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2018 - 16:11

Thanks for the the info! I'm probably going to go, but this may mean I will have to wait til after the half marathon has finished and the roads re-open again. Will think about it.

#13 cambian

cambian

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2018 - 19:49

Walking from the station should be fine, you'll have to cross the course just before you get to the hotel but there should be crossing points set up and marshals to direct you. The race starts an hour before the show so there'll be a steady stream of runners going past by 10 o'clock.

Driving you should be able to get to Queen Anne multi-storey by Parker's Piece reasonably okay (about three quarter of a mile walk) or the Grand Arcade car park (half a mile walk - but involves navigating more of the traffic restrictions). By my reading of the closures it looks like getting to hotel car park will be impossible until about 12:30 when Trumpington Road reopens (might be worth phoning the hotel to check?). I don't know how busy the car parks will be with runners, though the race organisers strongly encourage the use of the park and ride for those taking part.

Hope that helps.

Edited by cambian, 01 March 2018 - 06:20.

#14 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,097 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2018 - 22:20

Many thanks, Cambian, most helpful.

Many thanks, Cambian, most helpful.

Edited by bbs, 01 March 2018 - 11:03.

#15 david6

david6

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:37

Does anyone know if Uber is active in Cambridge? If so Ill try and leave my car at the hotel Im staying at and get a Uber to the venue or as close as I can get.

#16 blindmanpugh

blindmanpugh

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:18

Hi. So Half Marathon - snow and freezing temperatures - does anyone know if the show is still on?

#17 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:25

Hi. So Half Marathon - snow and freezing temperatures - does anyone know if the show is still on?

UK Pens Shows  have a Facebook page, that does not show any cancellation.

Rain is forecast for Cambridge on sunday morning BTW.

She is never one to let humility get in the way of a confrontation.

#18 gee09

gee09

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 19:20

The show is going ahead as normal, I travelled down today from Sheffield today and all the roads were very quite, it was a clear run all the way through. 

#19 david6

david6

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:42

There’s no snow in Cambridge at the moment though of course it’s still cold out there. The show is most definitely still on so come along and enjoy the Eastern Pen Show.

#20 david6

david6

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:12

Good turnout at the Eastern Pen Show yesterday despite the problem of road closures for the half marathon. As usual I spent FAR too much money. Purchased a lovely Montblanc 149 90th Anniversary fountain pen from Sarj and an interesting copper ballpoint pen from Rakha Singh. I managed to avoid buying a pen from John Twiss and James and Feng of Onoto Pens this time. That won’t last - John Twiss knows what I like and James Boddy was telling me about the prototypes Onoto are developing.

Next Pen Show will be in Chester next month.

Sponsored Content

|