Advice Needed For Smooth Flowing Antique Colored Ink?

kealani

Newbie here.

Right now I am using Aurora Black, Aurora Blue, Yoshizuku Aqua Blue.

I am looking for a smooth flowing "wet" ink that is antique color or sepia?

Something that is classic looking, easy to read so perhaps on the dark side?

And, one that flows well like the Aurora's. Also not permanent so easy to care for in the pen.

Thanks everyone for your help.

mahalo,

jim

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kealani

• sidthecat

• eharriett

• senzen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tend to use Pilot Iroshizuku for wet inks. I personally like Tsukushi for red/rusty brown :)

post-134999-0-31424500-1519232217_thumb.jpeg

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

Sepia. Herbin’s Cacao de Brasil leans that way. As does one of the low numbered Kobe inks. 3? I’m not near my ink shelf right now.

Sepia and walnut are both historic brown inks. I’m not clear on the chemistry behind them, and it’s not as easy to research as iron gall ink. Not that iron gall is easy.

Herbin Lie de Thé is often recommended. I haven’t found a pen I like it with. Very lefty hostile dry time in my limited experience, but it’s one of Herbin’s big bottles inks, so I suspect my experience is of a bad batch.

R&K Sepia I found unspeakablely dry. Haven’t tried it in multiple pens yet, but it’s not a good sign if an iron gall lover is saying that the ink is too dry.

Kaweco Caramel Brown is more of a sepia color, and I liked it in my Kaweco sport. A little dry, but not so dry I’ll call it awful. And the dry time was excellent.

Diamine Terracotta isn’t a classic sepia, but it’s an interesting shadey light brown ink. I’ve used up a 2mL sample and I probably need more (40ml more I dunno, but more sure). I haven’t tried Diamine burnt sienna and ochre but they’re in the same area along with ancient copper. All are more in the vein of an artist’s sanguine crayon, but as ink. Diamine also has a sepia and a number of other brown inks.

I haven’t tried Herbin Cacao du Bresil and Terre de Feu but they’re both going to be in this vein. (They’re on the list!)

Brown ink can have a green tone, a red tone, a violet tone, an orange, a yellow... there’s a lot of variation. It’s probably the most varied tonal range. Add in shading or not, sheen or not, dry time and paper and there’s just a lot to consider.

I use Rohrer and Klingner Sepia with my Aiken Lambert dip pen, dating from about 1900, because it has such a vintage look. I have not found it to be dry in any pen.

My absolute go to when I need this is Noodler's Galileo's Manuscript. It is an FPN exclusive and the color is absolutely what I think of when I think of vintage books.

My absolute go to when I need this is Noodler's Galileo's Manuscript. It is an FPN exclusive and the color is absolutely what I think of when I think of vintage books.

Love that cat pic!

Is the Noodler's Gallileo Manuscript a wet or dryer ink?

Is it water soluble?

thanks,

jim

Sepia and walnut are both historic brown inks. I’m not clear on the chemistry behind them, and it’s not as easy to research as iron gall ink. Not that iron gall is easy.

Herbin Lie de Thé is often recommended. I haven’t found a pen I like it with. Very lefty hostile dry time in my limited experience, but it’s one of Herbin’s big bottles inks, so I suspect my experience is of a bad batch.

R&K Sepia I found unspeakablely dry. Haven’t tried it in multiple pens yet, but it’s not a good sign if an iron gall lover is saying that the ink is too dry.

Kaweco Caramel Brown is more of a sepia color, and I liked it in my Kaweco sport. A little dry, but not so dry I’ll call it awful. And the dry time was excellent.

Diamine Terracotta isn’t a classic sepia, but it’s an interesting shadey light brown ink. I’ve used up a 2mL sample and I probably need more (40ml more I dunno, but more sure). I haven’t tried Diamine burnt sienna and ochre but they’re in the same area along with ancient copper. All are more in the vein of an artist’s sanguine crayon, but as ink. Diamine also has a sepia and a number of other brown inks.

I haven’t tried Herbin Cacao du Bresil and Terre de Feu but they’re both going to be in this vein. (They’re on the list!)

Brown ink can have a green tone, a red tone, a violet tone, an orange, a yellow... there’s a lot of variation. It’s probably the most varied tonal range. Add in shading or not, sheen or not, dry time and paper and there’s just a lot to consider.

Awesome info.

Thanks so much for the education.

jim

Love that cat pic!

Is the Noodler's Gallileo Manuscript a wet or dryer ink?

Is it water soluble?

thanks,

jim

The cat knew just how to photobomb a selfie!

I think the ink is medium. Not incredibly wet, but I did not find it to be dry

And it is “bulletproof,” meaning it is water proof.

+1 (or +2 in this case) for R&K Sepia and J. Herbin Cacao du Bresil. I have both and both have moderate flow (ymmv) in my pens: not too wet nor too dry. And as Torrilin said, brown ink can have different tones: R&K Sepia has more of a yellowish-green undertone, while Cacao du Bresil has more gray and red undertones. Both are easy to clean, but Sepia has better "water-resistance". I suggest trying samples to see which ink you prefer.

Good luck with your search 😊

+1 (or +2 in this case) for R&K Sepia and J. Herbin Cacao du Bresil. I have both and both have moderate flow (ymmv) in my pens: not too wet nor too dry. And as Torrilin said, brown ink can have different tones: R&K Sepia has more of a yellowish-green undertone, while Cacao du Bresil has more gray and red undertones. Both are easy to clean, but Sepia has better "water-resistance". I suggest trying samples to see which ink you prefer.

Good luck with your search

Thanks so much for your help.

j

Another vote for Lie de thé.

fpn_1500845802__browns.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

+1 for Lie de The. Flow is exactly what I like and I use it in some dry japanese pens and wet Pelikans with immense satisfaction. Smooth gradations in tonal variations possible, excellent nuances.

Washes out most easily of pens and trouble-free. I normally fill my dry Pilot 912soft medium and forget abt it and it writes after a month.

Works in my vintage Waterman 12 eyedropper too, no railroading at all. Now, this is good flow.

Edited by minddance

Diamine Saddle Brown. It is dry enough to tame a Pelikan with an OB, which is where it is now, but wet enough to flow nicely in most other pens. Shades nicely too. I picked it as a replacement for Parker Penman Mocha which I had a sample of.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I will add my love of Kwz Honey, and Old Gold, I also enjoy their golden brown IGs such as Aztec Gold. Diamine Golden Brown was the third ink I ever got, and loved it from the start. I also enjoy Diamine Ochre, though It seems some have had some clogging issues with their pens, I havent experience any clogging. I have left it in the pen unused longer than I should, and I dont suggest that, but would with any ink!

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA