Sheaffer Balance Photo Thread 1928-1942

PenHero

...and a Marine green Oversize (c.1931)

Hi Ricardo, based only in the proportions that I observe on your photo, and the width that I deduce from it, possibly marine green be "full leght" medium diameter H74TC and not "oversize" large diameter H8TC, Is the diameter in her ring cap closer to 15,00 mm or more closer to 13.00 mm?

With the gray pearl premier I have the same question and I see it too stylized to be a Premier; will not it be a Statesman? If you want to confirm it, please measure its diameter in the cap band and compare with my "size chart" on the right; Premier vs Statesman y Sovereign.

fpn_1546938060__sheaffer_lazard_size_cha

Edited by RamonCampos

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Lazard 20

• mitto

• Jorge

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Balance Craftsman Lever-Fill fountain pen in Gray Pearl celluloid c. 1938-1941. It’s about 5 3/8 inches long and sold for $3.50. It has a clear section window so that the ink level can be seen by the user, though this one is clouded. The 14 karat gold nib is stamped SHEAFFER’S over 3 over MADE IN U.S.A. The clip is stamped SHEAFFER’S. The trim is silver color plated and plate loss can be seen on this example. The 1941 catalog lists Black, Golden Brown, Marine Green and Carmine with gold filled trim and Gray Pearl with silver color trim. The matching pencil was $3.00.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferBalanceCraftsmanGrayPearl_1280_01.jpg

Hi Ricardo, based only in the proportions that I observe on your photo, and the width that I deduce from it, possibly marine green be "full leght" medium diameter H74TC and not "oversize" large diameter H8TC, Is the diameter in her ring cap closer to 15,00 mm or more closer to 13.00 mm?

With the gray pearl premier I have the same question and I see it too stylized to be a Premier; will not it be a Statesman? If you want to confirm it, please measure its diameter in the cap band and compare with my "size chart" on the right; Premier vs Statesman y Sovereign.

Hi Ramon. I'm pretty sure they are "Oversize". I sold the green a few years ago.

The Heritage Autograph and the gray premier I still have.So, the gray ring's diameter is 14,89 mm and the Autograph is 14,95mm.

Edited by RICARDOBORBA

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Balance Craftsman Lever-Fill fountain pen in Golden Brown celluloid c. 1938-1941. It’s about 5 3/8 inches long and sold for $3.50. It has a clear section window so that the ink level can be seen by the user, though this one is clouded. The 14 karat gold nib is stamped SHEAFFER’S over 3 over MADE IN U.S.A. The clip is stamped SHEAFFER’S. The trim is gold filled and plate loss can be seen on this example. The 1941 catalog lists Black, Golden Brown, Marine Green and Carmine with gold filled trim and Gray Pearl with silver color trim. The matching pencil was $3.00.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferBalanceCraftsmanGoldenBrownl_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Balance Junior Long Style Vacuum-Fil fountain pen in Marine Green celluloid c. 1940-1941. It’s about 5 3/8 inches long and sold for $2.75. The barrel is actually alternating color and clear celluloid strips so that the ink level can be seen by the user. It fills by unscrewing the end cap, pulling out the plunger, putting the nib in ink and pressing the plunger down once. The 14 karat gold nib is stamped SHEAFFER over Junior over MADE IN U.S.A. The clip is stamped SHEAFFER JR. The trim has a silver color plating. The 1941 catalog lists Black, Marine Green and Carmine as colors. The matching pencil was $2.50.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferBalanceJuniorMarineGreen_1280_02.jpg

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Petite Balance lever fill fountain pen in Black Radite celluloid c. 1930, model 5-30MC. It’s about 4 1/16 inches long and sold for $5.00. The standard nib is a 5-30 gold nib, but this example has a replacement HUNTCO gold plated stainless steel nib. The trim is gold filled. The clip is stamped SHEAFFER'S and shows typical plating loss on the clip ball. The barrel is stamped W. A. SHEAFFER PEN CO. over FORT MADISON, IOWA , U.S.A. over PAT D-78,795. The matching pencil was $3.00.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferBalancePetiteBlack01.jpg

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Better late than never! I finally got around to shooting my collection of Balances with white metal trim:

GCsOKy2.jpg

Lifetime Balances, including the short and stubby model, a Milady Skyboy, and a trio consisting of a Statesman and 2 Premier/OS models in the scarce Grey Pearl marble color

0XuUReS.jpg

A couple more Lifetime Balances and a handful of long slender models (later called "Craftsman"), including one cherry red Loaner sans loaner imprint

Audis3O.jpg

Sheaffer Balance Juniors in every available color pattern, including a deluxe Jr. set on the end

Yy1rH7e.jpg

Canadian Balances (5-30 and 3-25). Were these made in the US, many would be considered examples of "reverse trim." But this trim was actually standard in Canada.

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Metal Trim! —> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, green, ebonized pearl); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (clean persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal (grey pinstripe, marble stripe, etc.)

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Balance Model K74TR ringtop lever fill fountain pen in Black and Pearl celluloid c. 1928-1929. The celluloid shows typical discoloration. Excellent examples will appear closer in color to black and mother of pearl. It’s about 5 3/4 inches long and sold for $9.50. It has the Sheaffer Lifetime nib. The trim is gold filled. The barrel is stamped W. A. SHEAFFER PEN CO. over FORT MADISON, IOWA , U.S.A. over PAT'D - PATENT PENDING. Since the Balance design patent 78,795 was awarded June 18, 1929, this example is probably earlier than the one shown in the 1930 catalog. The matching pencil was $4.00.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferBalanceBlackPearlRingtop_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

I'm hoping someone can provide a bit more info regarding this Sheaffer pen. I know its a Balance, and I believe its 'oversize'. The lifetime nib has a patent no. 1877452, and I believe the color is called "Marine Green".

Specifically, I'd love to know if this pen has a certain model number, when the pen was first introduced (I believe it was the early 1930's) and if the nib was available in various sizes. I would characterize this nib as very stiff with a very thin line - most likely EF.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

post-55376-0-97391800-1553170762_thumb.jpg

post-55376-0-09201300-1553170774_thumb.jpg

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Balance lever fill fountain pen in Black Radite c. 1929. It's a full length, 5 11/16 inch long pen but in the standard size, selling for $8.25. It's close to the same length as the larger diameter oversize pen. All trim is gold filled, though this example shows typical plating wear. This pen has a chip out of the cap lip. The barrel is stamped W. A. SHEAFFER PEN CO. over FORT MADISON, IOWA, U.S.A. over PAT'D - PAT. PENDING. The 14 karat gold Lifetime nib is stamped SHEAFFER’s over LIFETIME over REG. U.S. PAT OFF. over MADE IN U.S.A. over a serial number.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferBalanceBlack_1280_02.jpg

Thanks!

Some great pictures in this thread - but I think this is my favorite size. I've owned several of the oversize pens over the years, and sold them off. The oversized pens are attractive, but to be frank, they aren't as comfortable, in my estimation. However, these early "long" standard Balances are among the most comfortable pens I've ever used. I don't post the cap, so the extra length is nice, without being "too big" like the oversize. I have a black one a lot like yours, and it's a great writer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Balance Defender Golden Brown Military Clip Vacuum-Fil fountain pen c. 1941. It's about 5 1/8 inches long and sold for $5.00. The Valiant, Vigilant, Defender and Commandant featured Over-The-Top clips designed to meet the Army, Navy and Marine Corps military requirement that the pocket flap could be buttoned with the pen in it. The 500 stamped on the barrel just below the imprint indicates the price. The barrel is actually alternating color and clear celluloid strips so that the ink level can be seen by the user. It fills by unscrewing the end cap, pulling out the plunger, putting the nib in ink and pressing the plunger down once. The barrel is stamped W. A. SHEAFFER PEN CO. over FORT MADISON, IOWA U.S.A. over PATENTED IN U.S.A. It features a two-tone palladium or platinum masked 14 karat gold nib stamped SHEAFFER'S over Feather Touch over MADE IN U.S.A. over 5. It was offered in the 1941 catalog in Black, Golden Brown, and Carmine. The matching pencil was $4.00.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferBalanceDefenderBrown_1280_01a.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Balance Admiral Feathertouch Lever-Fill fountain pen in Gray Pearl striped celluloid c. 1938-1941. It’s about 5 1/2 inches long and sold for $5.00. It has a clear section window so that the ink level can be seen by the user. The 14 karat gold two-tone two-way writing nib is stamped SHEAFFER’S over Feather Touch over MADE IN U.S.A. over 5. The 1938 catalog describes the nib plating as platinum and makes the claim that it enhances ink flow. The trim is silver color plated. The 1938 catalog lists Black, Ebonized Pearl, Golden Brown, Rose Glow and Marine Green with gold filled trim and Gray Pearl with silver color trim and selling for $5.00. The matching pencil was $4.00. Colors in the 1941 catalog were Black, Golden Brown, Marine Green and Carmine with gold filled trim and Gray Pearl with silver color trim.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferBalanceAdmiralGrayPearl_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Balance Statesman Lifetime Feathertouch One-Stroke Vacuum fountain pen in Marine Green striped celluloid c. 1938-1941. It’s about 5 3/8 inches long and sold for $10.00. The barrel is actually alternating colored and clear celluloid strips so that the ink level can be seen by the user. It fills by unscrewing the end cap, pulling out the plunger, putting the nib in ink and pressing the plunger down once. The 14 karat gold two-tone two-way writing nib is stamped SHEAFFER’S over LIFETIME over REG. U.S. PAT. OFF. over MADE IN U.S.A. over a number. The barrel is stamped W. A. SHEAFFER PEN CO. over FORT MADISON, IOWA U.S.A. over PATENTED IN U.S.A. The 1938 catalog describes the nib plating as platinum and makes the claim that it enhances ink flow. The trim is silver color plated, unusual for this model, as it would normally have gold plating as shown in catalogs from 1938 to 1941. This trim color was normally associated with Gray Pearl celluloid. Collectors sometimes refer to this as "reverse trim."
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferBalanceStatesmanGreen_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Balance Sovereign Lifetime Feathertouch One-Stroke Vacuum fountain pen in Golden Brown striped celluloid c. 1938-1941 with a 9/32 inch line engraved cap band. It’s about 5 3/8 inches long and was an uncatalogued version of the Sovereign. Collectors have named this type cap band a jeweler's type probably due to the cartouche on the back side from the clip where the owner's personalization could be engraved. The barrel is actually alternating colored and clear celluloid strips so that the ink level can be seen by the user. It fills by unscrewing the end cap, pulling out the plunger, putting the nib in ink and pressing the plunger down once. The 14 karat gold two-tone two-way writing nib is stamped with a number over SHEAFFER’S over LIFETIME over REG. U.S. PAT. OFF. over MADE IN U.S.A. The barrel is stamped W. A. SHEAFFER PEN CO. over FORT MADISON, IOWA U.S.A. over PATENTED IN U.S.A. The 1938 catalog describes the nib plating as platinum and makes the claim that it enhances ink flow. The trim is gold filled.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferBalanceSovereignBrownJeweler_1280_01a.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a model 74TC size Sheaffer Balance lever-fill fountain pen in Golden Brown striped celluloid, made in Canada c. 1936. It’s about 4 3/4 inches long and features the Sheaffer White Dot inlay above the clip. Canadian made Sheaffer pens did not always follow U.S. catalog types. The barrel is stamped W. A. SHEAFFER PEN CO. over (OF CANADA LTD.) TORONTO ONT. over PAT. 1936. This appears to be a reference to U.S. design patent D099218, awarded to Craig R. Sheaffer on April 7, 1936 for the striped celluloid design, which Sheaffer began introducing on pens that same year. The nib is an unusual two-tone platinum or palladium plated gold 5-30 type. It could be a replacement. White Dot pens from the 1930s would typically have a Lifetime stamped nib. The 1938 U.S. catalog describes the nib plating as platinum and makes the claim that it enhances ink flow. The trim is gold filled. The rounded top humped ball clip is seen on c. 1930-1931 U.S. made Balance pens.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferBalanceSmallBrownCanada_1280_01a.jpg
Thanks!

The trim held up well on this one - really nice pen.

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Balance Admiral Feathertouch Lever-Fill fountain pen in Gray Pearl striped celluloid c. 1938-1941. It’s about 5 1/2 inches long and sold for $5.00. It has a clear section window so that the ink level can be seen by the user. The 14 karat gold two-tone two-way writing nib is stamped SHEAFFER’S over Feather Touch over MADE IN U.S.A. over 5. The 1938 catalog describes the nib plating as platinum and makes the claim that it enhances ink flow. The trim is silver color plated. The 1938 catalog lists Black, Ebonized Pearl, Golden Brown, Rose Glow and Marine Green with gold filled trim and Gray Pearl with silver color trim and selling for $5.00. The matching pencil was $4.00. Colors in the 1941 catalog were Black, Golden Brown, Marine Green and Carmine with gold filled trim and Gray Pearl with silver color trim.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferBalanceAdmiralGrayPearl_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

The trim held up well on this one - really nice pen.

Yes - I see a lot of silver color trim pens that look terrible. It does not seem to hold up as well as gold filled over time.

Nice batch Greg

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Balance Junior Ebonized Pearl fountain pen and pencil set c. 1937-1938. Sheaffer claimed that the cap and barrel material was for the "first time in fountain pen history, genuine pearl … actually inlaid in lustrous ebony-black radite." This 4 11/16 inch long vacuum-fil fountain pen has an unhallmarked gold nib stamped SHEAFFER’S over Junior over MADE IN U.S.A. Vacuum-fil pens fill by unscrewing the blind cap at the end of the barrel and pulling out the plunger. The nib is inserted in ink and the plunger is pressed down, creating a vacuum inside the pen and ink is pulled into the barrel. Look closely to see the spiral marks on the barrel that are translucent so the user can check the ink level. The trim is chrome plated. The pen is model D2WS and sold for $2.75 the companion pencil sold for $2.50.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferBalanceJrEbonizedPearl_2048_02.jpg

Thanks!

Hello everybody.

I have been going through the 1938 Sheaffer catalog, interested on identifying balanced pens with Lifetieme Feathertouch pens.

All the pens in the catalog are said to have Feathertouch nibs.

Pens described as Lifetime Feathertouch have the nib inscribed with the words Sheaffer Lifetime but not Feathertouch, and they have the white dot.

Pens that are not Lifetime pens,such as the Admiral model, have the nibs inscribed Sheaffer Feathertouch, and no white dot.

All the nibs are bi-color nibs.

My question is how to identify a Lifetime Feathertouch nib if Feathertouch is not inscribed.

Thanks.