What Ink Would You Recommend For The Zebra Comic G Flexnib ?

jobodine

I used Noodler's Heart of Darkness ink in my fountain pen refitted with a Zebra flexnib for Comic drawing . I found out this ink tends to clog up the feed pretty quickly . It works for a day or two then dried ink can be seen accumulating on the exposed part of the feed . I have to flush out the grip section every few days to get the ink flowing again !. It is getting tiresome for me .

I wonder if anyone having similar experience with this Noodler's Heart of Darkness ink ?

What kind of ink would you recommend for the Zebra comic G flexnib ? Thanks..

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jobodine

• ReadyFireAim

• ASCIIaardvark

• SteveID

Hello,

a fountain pen refitted with Zebra nibs is a modification, it's not an out-of-the-factory instrument, you're asking the feed to keep up with an abnormal ink flow, so you're bound to encounter some problems.

Personally, I think a quick dip in water every few days is reasonable, compared to dipping the nib every few seconds as I do.

I've seen people using a variety of inks with the Zebra nib, Sailor, Pelikan, Noodler's. I've never used Heart of Darkness though, so I can't speak for that.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Hello,

a fountain pen refitted with Zebra nibs is a modification, it's not an out-of-the-factory instrument, you're asking the feed to keep up with an abnormal ink flow, so you're bound to encounter some problems.

Yep

You need a sac pen w/ an ebonite feed like a Desiderata.

You can run about any ink with that setup.

Thanks for your comments . I will look into the Desiderata pen for sure . Your suggestion might inspire a new adventure for me playing around with the feed ... :D

• 4 weeks later...

Yep

You need a sac pen w/ an ebonite feed like a Desiderata.

You can run about any ink with that setup.

As someone who basically distrusts sacs in general, I'd concur with the above as far as an ebonite feed, which is what will guarantee the flow will keep up with the nib's requirements. Any Ebonite feed that will fit your modified pen, and if it can handle being an eyedropper all together, all the better.

Still, I'm old-school enough to say that if that sounds like a hassle (and it is) put the damn Zebra G in a quill holder and use it as a dip pen, which is after all its intended purpose. (!)

And in most pens I've used it, especially with ebonite feeds, HOD behaves quite nicely. If you're drawing comics, you're--I think-- using a lot more ink than when writing, which also helps kerp your ink from drying out; also a pen that seals better will also help prevent drying out, tho I have no experience with the Desiderata.

Go passively amid the noise,and haste...

Edited by SteveID

Just add an F at the beginning, and any Art stinks.

Except your own.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments I took a look at the Desiderata feed and was amazed at the crudity of the design !! It suffered the same fate of being clogged up by dried out ink and required frequent cleaning up .

Recently, I had much better luck with another modified FP using the Hero 5020 pen , a Zebra G nib and a Jinhao No. 6 feed . I still used the Noodler's Heart of Darkness ink . For the past 2 weeks, this modified pen has been functional without clogging or drying out ! I have tried it out for at least one hour/day and so far, so good !

I took a look at the Desiderata feed and was amazed at the crudity of the design !! It suffered the same fate of being clogged up by dried out ink and required frequent cleaning up .

For the past 2 weeks, this modified pen has been functional without clogging or drying out !

I haven't had that issue at all with my Desiderata, but I'm glad you found a solution.

I found some of the odder Noodler's inks have better anti-railroading properties -- Blue Erase & Polar Brown in particular.

If you're using the dip nib in a dip pen, I recommend India Ink, or adding Gum Arabic to your fountain pen ink to thicken it so it sticks to the nib. Also: be sure to remove the protective oil coating from the nib before use for best performance.

I haven't had that issue at all with my Desiderata, but I'm glad you found a solution.

I found some of the odder Noodler's inks have better anti-railroading properties -- Blue Erase & Polar Brown in particular.

If you're using the dip nib in a dip pen, I recommend India Ink, or adding Gum Arabic to your fountain pen ink to thicken it so it sticks to the nib. Also: be sure to remove the protective oil coating from the nib before use for best performance.

Very good point, and one especially true of cheaper price-point pens like the Jinhao's and the Heros, there are definitely more likely manufacturing artifacts in the pen that would require some cleaning for better (or even merely satisfactory)ink flow. This is frankly also true of whatever Indian factory is making the Noodlers pens as well, and maybe part of the reason Nathan wants his pens to be tinkered with, just to make sure that whenever schmootz is left inside the nib and feed channel after manufacturing gets cleaned out by the user beforehand.

The blue erase and polar Brown are distinct in their non permanence, and veryvery susceptible to Smudging, smearing, and other things that someone who might be using this pen and ink combination for art production are well advised to be wary of.

Having said that, it remains true that the plastic feeds on a lot of the Chinese pens simply will not permit as much in flow as a good ebonite feeds. For what that's worth.

Edited by SteveID

Just add an F at the beginning, and any Art stinks.

Except your own.

Pick up a couple samples of Iron Gall for your Dip/FP.

Set the feed to extra wet and give it a go.

My favorite two are KWZ Gummiberry and R&K Salex.

Iron gall is all I use now for my Zebra-G, Leonardt-G, Hunt 101 and Brause Rose nibs

(all nibs stuck in fountain pens)

The blue erase and polar Brown are distinct in their non permanence, and veryvery susceptible to Smudging, smearing, and other things that someone who might be using this pen and ink combination for art production are well advised to be wary of.

Having said that, it remains true that the plastic feeds on a lot of the Chinese pens simply will not permit as much in flow as a good ebonite feeds. For what that's worth.

Polar brown is bulletproof - once it dries, it should be permanent against water/bleach/UV/etc. I tried smearing some old calligraphy practice by pouring tea and scrubbing with a towel. I think the only smudging I saw was from the paper disintegrating under the scrub and leaving brown lint tenuously connected to the page.

Bluerase is supposed to be erasable, and does come off of glass pretty easily with a wet towel. But on Clairefontaine, it only came up a little after a few seconds with water -- so not waterproof, but reasonably water resistant on paper.

Bulletproof has its own problem... Fortunately for me, the last time I spilled one of those: it was black ink on black pants and I can't even tell where the spot is :)

+1 for ebonite feeds. If you want 'em wetter, you can just carve the ink channel deeper/wider. I'm told plastic feeds have a surface-coating that helps flow, which you'll remove if you carve them. But that's hearsay -- I haven't personally messed with 'em much.

Edited by ASCIIaardvark

+1 for ebonite feeds. If you want 'em wetter, you can just carve the ink channel deeper/wider. I'm told plastic feeds have a surface-coating that helps flow, which you'll remove if you carve them. But that's hearsay -- I haven't personally messed with 'em much.

I have tried this technique , modifying the flow channel on a few Jinhao No. 6 plastic feeds and the result is disatrous ! They worked for a few hours then the ink dried out in the newly carved out channels and clogged up therein near the tip area of the nib . In one case, the feed was destroyed as no capillary action occurred to draw the ink towards the tip of the nib !

After this unfortunate experience, I am very reluctant to modify the feed in any way . I would reshape the nib but certainly leave the feed alone !

Edited by jobodine

When I design a feed for a dip nib, I make it peg shaped so the further in the section, the tighter it gets.

I like using FPR 6.3 mm ones and sand them down until they are guppy shaped.

As you pull the feed out, the sloppy fit allows it to become wetter.

It's a balancing act

It takes awhile to make them and they are nib specific.

My Hunt 101 feed will not fit a Leonardt Principal even though they are very close.

All the "G" nibs are a little different also (Zebra, Leonardt, Tachikawa, Nikko)

Desiderata pens are natural hosts for several reasons.

When I design a feed for a dip nib, I make it peg shaped so the further in the section, the tighter it gets.

I like using FPR 6.3 mm ones and sand them down until they are guppy shaped.

As you pull the feed out, the sloppy fit allows it to become wetter.

It's a balancing act

It takes awhile to make them and they are nib specific.....

I would love to see a photo of your design feed .

From your description, your design feed apparently has no fins , just a deep ink channel like the Desiderata feed. I guess it requires certain skill level to make a working one !

IMG_2577.jpg

Edited by jobodine

I would love to see a photo of your design feed .

post-135048-0-59573000-1521634073_thumb.jpg

Top to bottom...

Leonardt-G (Medium-soft / XF ) Edison Beaumont

Brause Rose (X-Soft / F ) Desiderata Icarus

Hunt 101 (soft / XXF ) Desiderata Icarus

Zebra-G (firm / F ) Desiderata Icarus

Icarus, Beaumont & Singularity will allow nibs to be adjusted VERY wet (out to 1 1/8" exposure) and still have space in cap.

Many other pens will not.

All above pens use sacs.

The Leonardt - G uses a #6 Jowo nib unit while all the others use Desiderata size nib units.

Desiderata feeds have had fins for at least a year.

The old style is thin and the new style is thick.

I prefer my feed over the ones that come with the pens.

Edited by Nail-Bender

@Nail-Bender

Wow !! You have such a beautiful set of sketch pens . How did you go about making your design feed ? You did it from scratch or modified an existent feed ? I am very tempted to try making a prototype .

Do you have a photo of just one of your design feed ? I am curious to know which direction I should start from .

BTW:

i) What kind of ink do you use in these pens ?

ii) Are you mainly using these pens for calligraphy or artwork ?

Thanks.

Edited by jobodine

I get my feeds here...

https://fprevolutionusa.com/collections/feeds/products/fpr-6-3mm-flex-ebonite-feed

I use 150 grit sandpaper & ladies disposable nail files to shape the feeds.

post-135048-0-60135500-1521638072_thumb.jpg

Since the bottom of the feed is ramp shaped, it will move closer to the nib when pushed in and you can use it for setting the gap C-D

The nib will also move in and out and you can use it to set exposure A-B

Nib in = wet (generally) but more is determined by its orientation on top of feed.

Feed out = wet (always)

Nib in, feed out SUPER WET

Nib out, feed in SUPER DRY

Or any combination of the two & 1/32" movement of any one can have a big influence.

Also there is film strength of ink and flex/pumping action of tines and about a book more on channel & fin modification.

I'm experimenting with "reflex" of feeds now (feeds designed banana shaped with a bow on top)

They are 3 bucks each and sandpaper is cheap so what the heck :D

I actually had a good deal of luck when I started and managed some pretty impressive dip/feeds.

Edited by Nail-Bender

@Nail-Bender:

Fantastic !! These precious infos will get me going on my feed making journey this year ! Thanks very much .

If waterproof is not an issue, Pelikan 4001 ink works quite well with dip pens, and flows well in a dip pen converted fountain pen.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Thanks everyone for your kind comments I took a look at the Desiderata feed and was amazed at the crudity of the design !! It suffered the same fate of being clogged up by dried out ink and required frequent cleaning up .

Recently, I had much better luck with another modified FP using the Hero 5020 pen , a Zebra G nib and a Jinhao No. 6 feed . I still used the Noodler's Heart of Darkness ink . For the past 2 weeks, this modified pen has been functional without clogging or drying out ! I have tried it out for at least one hour/day and so far, so good !

Jobodine!

Current Desiderata feeds have three straight ink fissures centered into the ink channel with a scooped exit, dozens of ink-retention fins, and from my tests and observations, when located appropriately, perform very well. Same old ebonite, entirely new manufacturing process. That poor old feed you showed Drew's picture of is a thing of the now-distant past.

Current Desiderata feeds have three straight ink fissures centered into the ink channel with a scooped exit, dozens of ink-retention fins, and from my tests and observations, when located appropriately, perform very well. Same old ebonite, entirely new manufacturing process. That poor old feed you showed Drew's picture of is a thing of the now-distant past.

Any chance you could post a photo?