The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Best Inexpensive Fountain Pens For Clumsy People Who Drop Them?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2018 - 00:19

Just wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations for cool pens to try! I just got a new Jinhao x750 today and am loving it so far (with the sole downside that I find it a touch heavy)!

I also actually quite enjoyed the cheap Pilot Varsity I was using in the days before this Jinhao arrived... will definitely be experimenting a lot more at these price points...

Hi Mysterium,

That's great! :thumbup:

If the weight of the Jinhao gets to you... consider a Nemosine Singularity... similar size and shape, but very lightweight... also with cheap and easy to replace nibs. (But unlike what was previously said... it does come with a threaded cap).

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Clarify text.

Edited by ParkerDuofold, 25 February 2018 - 00:20.

With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

Sponsored Content

#62 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 00:34

Just wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations for cool pens to try! I just got a new Jinhao x750 today and am loving it so far (with the sole downside that I find it a touch heavy)!

I also actually quite enjoyed the cheap Pilot Varsity I was using in the days before this Jinhao arrived... will definitely be experimenting a lot more at these price points...

There are a lot of good inexpensive pens. Have fun experimenting.

#63 tisse98

tisse98

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 14:25

Try ebay - you may find some really good deals. Here's a Rainbow 202 FP made in China I got for around 10-12 bucks. I think it's vintage, but it was in new, sealed condition. It writes surprrisingly well, with good ink flow and no nib scratch. Great FP for a student as well.

Attached Images

• r01.jpg
  • r02.jpg

Edited by tisse98, 07 March 2018 - 14:26.

#64 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 17:03

Bic crystal fountain pen

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#65 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 March 2018 - 17:29

When time permits..please let us know how it's going....

Thanks....Still your friend and mine..

Fred

#66 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,120 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 17:39

I'm a fountain pen newbie. So far I've had a couple of Pilot Metropolitans. I like the pen, but I am quite clumsy. In both cases, I have dropped the pen and it's hit nib-first on my hardwood floor and bent. The second one didn't bend too badly and it's usable, but it's still a little damaged, and I want to get something new.

But I need something that will stand being dropped like that! I am clumsy. I KNOW I am going to keep dropping pens. Or is there another solution? 

I've done the same dozens of times, rolled my big office chair over a few pens as well.

Solved it by buying only limited editions so I'm conscious of how much I will cry if I drop the Proust nib first onto concrete.

#67 Zaphodbebullbrox

Zaphodbebullbrox

Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 17:42

My suggestion is to buy a very expensive pen, i mean in the 1k up range. :o

One you pay that for a pen you will find you might not be so clumsy. :wacko:

:) :D 

#68 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,335 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 21:17

I've done the same dozens of times, rolled my big office chair over a few pens as well.

Solved it by buying only limited editions so I'm conscious of how much I will cry if I drop the Proust nib first onto concrete.

or, one can learn to be this appreciative of and careful with an object of low cost

it's up to the human, not the object

#69 two2tone

two2tone

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:13

Get this -- problem solved.

I'm a fountain pen newbie. So far I've had a couple of Pilot Metropolitans. I like the pen, but I am quite clumsy. In both cases, I have dropped the pen and it's hit nib-first on my hardwood floor and bent. The seco10196_zpsioghlnfa.jpgnd one didn't bend too badly and it's usable, but it's still a little damaged, and I want to get something new.

But I need something that will stand being dropped like that! I am clumsy. I KNOW I am going to keep dropping pens. Or is there another solution? 

#70 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:25

And maybe even one of those little chains like pens in banks.

#71 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,120 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 16:02

or, one can learn to be this appreciative of and careful with an object of low cost

it's up to the human, not the object

nah, I'll never treat a $200 pen likes it's worth $1,000.

My coniption fit won't be as painful when I think I've lost the pen either...

#72 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 17:27

Has anyone recommended a Vanishing Point yet?  Not inexpensive, but after replacing a dozen cheap pens, it starts to look like the right decision....

Ink samples to trade:   Blackstone Blue, Chesterfield  Antique Crimson, Chesterfield  Antique Jade, Chesterfield  Antique Orchid, Chesterfield  Antique Raspberry, Chesterfield  Antique Raven, Chesterfield  Antique Walnut, Chesterfield  Antique Yankee, Chesterfield  Night Sapphire, Cross Blue, Diamine Ancient Copper, Diamine Bilberry, Diamine Blue Black, Diamine Damson, Diamine Indigo, Diamine Oxblood, Diamine Purple Pazzazz, Edelstein Amber, J. Herbin Emerald de Chivor, J. Herbin Lie de The, J. Herbin Rouge Hematite, J. Herbin Storm Grey, Levenger Always Greener, Levenger Amethyst, Levenger Blue Bahama, Levenger Cardinal Red, Levenger Cobalt Blue, Levenger Cocoa, Levenger Fireball, Levenger Gemstone Green, Levenger Pinkly, Levenger Raven Black, Levenger Skies of Blue, Levenger Smokey, Montblanc Black  , Montblanc Montblanc for BMW, Noodler's Bay State Blue, Parker Quink, Pilot Blue, Sailor  Souten, Sailor  Waka-Uguisu

Looking for: surprise me!

#73 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 18:20

Does it auto-retract when you let go?  That'd be seriously helpful if it did.

#74 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 20:58

No, the VP doesn't auto-retract, which doesn't make it a solution in my book.  It's just as easy to drop the pen with the nib extended as with it retracted.

Edited by ErrantSmudge, 08 March 2018 - 20:58.

#75 hinky

hinky

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 16:14

Since someone already suggested the Preppy, I would suggest the Plaisir as a step up. More durable body and still lightweight. If you ruin the nib, then buy a Preppy and replace the section. You're out just 4 bucks. Plus, the slip and seal cap is awesome.

Sponsored Content

|