The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Best Inexpensive Fountain Pens For Clumsy People Who Drop Them?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:43

Op..Asked "Or is there another solution?"

My answer stands......"Yup.....Stay away from 'em....Clearly..'Tis not for you.....

Brothers you..but not the Op..............

But you may be right the Op is just finding the right pen to drop  again and again....

'Tis my personal opinion and  yours/others/will/can differ.

Still your friend and his..

Fred

well, if we're going to go this way, another "solution" might be only to purchase pens with very heavy caps and always to post them so that if they are dropped they will be much less likely to land nib-down. 

or carpet all floors with Tempurpedic foam

or wear all pens on watch chains

or....

oh nevermind

Sponsored Content

#42 jobodine

jobodine

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:57

I just pull the nibs & feeds out, no biggie. But some others might balk at the force required, so I thought that I might mention it. 

If you know what you are doing, it's no biggie, indeed. I ruined a few V-pens by your method until using the syringe . :P

#43 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,181 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:06

If you know what you are doing, it's no biggie, indeed. I ruined a few V-pens by your method until using the syringe . :P

I get it.  :thumbup:

#44 FountainPenGuru

FountainPenGuru

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:46

I hear ya. Killed an IPhone 4 with scotch once. That one hurt bad! I was out a glass of scotch and a phone!

I killed my laptop with scotch. I don't drink anymore.

#45 GeneralSynopsis

GeneralSynopsis

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:00

I suggest Jinhao 991.  Buy a pack of em, they're more durable than the 992, but use the same nib and feed.  Also buy a bunch of spare nibs, readily available on the Dreaded Bay of Evil, and swap in new nibs as the old ones are destroyed.

The OP already has a Metropolitan, Why not just get the Wing-Sung compatible nibs for them on ebay?

YCPENS has these at $4.50 a pair

Edited by GeneralSynopsis, 23 February 2018 - 05:01.

--“Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.” 
― Giordano Bruno

#46 Dickkooty2

Dickkooty2

That Dick in Hood River

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:01

I would consider using carpenter's pencils ...

fpn_1519362068__41625.jpgfpn_1519362136__6e0fb45f4c7b448f949e29b1

#47 jobodine

jobodine

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2018 - 15:02

I suggest Jinhao 991.  Buy a pack of em, they're more durable than the 992, but use the same nib and feed.  Also buy a bunch of spare nibs, readily available on the Dreaded Bay of Evil, and swap in new nibs as the old ones are destroyed.

Have you tried removing the nib from the Jinhao 991 ?  I need some advice  . After unscrewing the  combined (sleeve + feed + nib)  from the grip section,  I am not sure how to remove the nib as the sleeve looks so thin and fragile .  Yanking it out may crack the sleeve right off . Please comment . Thanks

#48 displacermoose

displacermoose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2018 - 15:38

Another possibility might be some cheap hooded-nib pens. My Hero 616's have survived a great deal, even a few nib down drops. There are plenty of other models with that same nib style.

Yet another Sarah.

#49 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 814 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:11

My answer stands......"Yup.....Stay away from 'em....Clearly..'Tis not for you.....

But you may be right the Op is just finding the right pen to drop  again and again....

Fred

Declaring FP's aren't for the OP is not propounding an option, but a flippant judgement with no constructiveness.  Your glibness isn't a friend to the OP nor I.

#50 sub_bluesy

sub_bluesy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:55

Jinhao x450 red ice teaser pics! Love the pen. Got like 5 of them now I think lol
Cause if your eyes on the ground when the night comes around, youll only see the stars when they fall like rain.

#51 Kalikrates

Kalikrates

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2018 - 17:00

If you tend to write at the same place, I think a thick rug in that place is actually the best suggestion. While I'm not goint to try, I suppose most nibs would survive a fall to a thick, fluffy rug. Why restrict the kinds of pen that you can try, and spend money on replacements, when you can use any and make it last?

Of course, if you carry your pen to different places in your home, this might not be applicable.

#52 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2018 - 18:37

Declaring FP's aren't for the OP is not propounding an option, but a flippant judgement with no constructiveness.  Your glibness isn't a friend to the OP nor I.

Fascinatin'............

Fred

#53 wasteland

wasteland

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 20:15

Actually, it's a constructive suggestion. Implicit in it is the suggestion that the OP change his behavior rather than adapt to it. In a similar vein, if someone had a propensity to drive his car into stationary objects, he would be well advised to stick with public transportation rather than try and find a vehicle that can withstand collision. Fountain pens are not designed to be dropped on their nibs. And they are not the only writing instruments available. And they are not the most user-friendly (which is why they have largely been superseded by ballpoints and rollerballs). So the choice to use a fountain pen comes with some considerations. You will have to hold it a certain way. You will have to periodically refill it. And you should refrain from dropping it on the floor. If those requirements are not to your liking, why go out of your way to use fountain pens?

The suggestions that the OP use cheap, disposable FPs whose loss he won't feel only encourages thoughtlessness. I would go the other way. Buy the most expensive, beautiful pen you can possibly afford and learn to care for it. Then if you destroy its nib, you will be truly mortified and learn a valuable lesson. I've destroyed a small number of valuable pens myself. I lost the barrel of a Silvexa to a puppy who was going through a chewing phase. I learned to not leave my pens within reach of chewing puppies. I destroyed a Lamy 2000 whose nib I was trying to adjust despite, at  the time, knowing very little about adjusting nibs. I learned to seek expert help.

#54 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2018 - 20:37

Actually, it's a constructive suggestion. Implicit in it is the suggestion that the OP change his behavior rather than adapt to it. In a similar vein, if someone had a propensity to drive his car into stationary objects, he would be well advised to stick with public transportation rather than try and find a vehicle that can withstand collision. Fountain pens are not designed to be dropped on their nibs. And they are not the only writing instruments available. And they are not the most user-friendly (which is why they have largely been superseded by ballpoints and rollerballs). So the choice to use a fountain pen comes with some considerations. You will have to hold it a certain way. You will have to periodically refill it. And you should refrain from dropping it on the floor. If those requirements are not to your liking, why go out of your way to use fountain pens?
The suggestions that the OP use cheap, disposable FPs whose loss he won't feel only encourages thoughtlessness. I would go the other way. Buy the most expensive, beautiful pen you can possibly afford and learn to care for it. Then if you destroy its nib, you will be truly mortified and learn a valuable lesson. I've destroyed a small number of valuable pens myself. I lost the barrel of a Silvexa to a puppy who was going through a chewing phase. I learned to not leave my pens within reach of chewing puppies. I destroyed a Lamy 2000 whose nib I was trying to adjust despite, at  the time, knowing very little about adjusting nibs. I learned to seek expert help.

nothing like hard knocks to learn a lesson. I too have dropped pens from just writing to table height, and have had to pay for it. I have had to pay for dropping pens and cracking barrels. Nothing will prevent the damage that the OP is attempting to avoid, except heartbreak. Buy a pen you fancy but can replace, and do your darnedest to hold it tight. Cheap pens will only give you the illusion that FPs are disposable.

#55 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2018 - 21:38

Bent nibs are one thing, but I've got $3 promotional pen bodies more durable than most modern fountain pen bodies.

Edited by Corona688, 24 February 2018 - 21:38.

#56 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,181 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 21:38

This thread has gone loco

#57 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2018 - 22:13

This thread has gone loco

Nah.....

This thread is simply delicious.....

Learning a lot.....

Fred

.....Just looked at this again.....

What does it weight?

Thirty Five Grams (as mentioned in the first post)

{happysmileyfacetimethingie}

#58 flyingfox

flyingfox

Coffee, tea, or ink?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2018 - 23:34

Preppy? Light, cheap, and the nib is reasonably good... could be a nice compromise and a step above disposable ones. Chinese pens are nice and cheap as well, but the nib quality can be hit or miss.

Aside from that... can you put a string or something through the clip and attach it to a lanyard around your neck? Kind of like a lifeline for your pen, so that it dangles in the air in stead of hitting the floor when it is dropped.

Also- if you don’t want to put a permanent rug in your writing area, you can put a few silicone mats as a temporary cushion. I put one out in my sink when I give my pens a bath.

Just brain-storming here...

#59 mysterium

mysterium

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 23:51

Just wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations for cool pens to try! I just got a new Jinhao x750 today and am loving it so far (with the sole downside that I find it a touch heavy)!

I also actually quite enjoyed the cheap Pilot Varsity I was using in the days before this Jinhao arrived... will definitely be experimenting a lot more at these price points...

#60 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2018 - 00:09

Fred

Hi all,

Let me just say upfront... I think the error in such advice as this is that it puts a pen's welfare before a person's welfare... and that isn't right.

This individual has expressed an interest in using fp's and I think that's what should be encouraged... period.

- Anthony

Actually, it's a constructive suggestion.

Not really... for the reason I cited above, plus the fact if you abandon something... you'll never master it.

Implicit in it is the suggestion that the OP change his behavior rather than adapt to it. In a similar vein, if someone had a propensity to drive his car into stationary objects, he would be well advised to stick with public transportation rather than try and find a vehicle that can withstand collision.

Yeah, but nobody is going to get killed or injured if he drops a few pens... they might if he crashes a few cars.

(And if you have some sort of mystical assurance that no one will get hurt... then let him wreck a few cars). :D

And they are not the only writing instruments available.

True, but they're the ones he wants to use... so be it.

...I would go the other way. Buy the most expensive, beautiful pen you can possibly afford and learn to care for it. Then if you destroy its nib, you will be truly mortified and learn a valuable lesson.

I see what you mean, but this isn't prudent.

...I learned to seek expert help.

I agree... I would say he's done that by posting this thread here. :D

Be well all. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to correct HTML formatting.

Edited by ParkerDuofold, 25 February 2018 - 08:30.

With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

Sponsored Content

|