Best Inexpensive Fountain Pens For Clumsy People Who Drop Them?

mysterium

Some people cannot help dropping things. This has been happening to me as I age, 69 now. I rarely drop a pen so far, but I am confident that day will come. I will probably then just use Sheaffer school pens and Lamy Safaris. The Lamy nibs are cheap enough, and why use something really cheap? Until then I will continue to uas my Parker 51 and Montblanc 144s.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• Corona688

• Freddy

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get a pen that you can replace the nib and buy extra nibs. I like my Delike Alpha; it's brass and goes camping with me. After I dropped it and bent the nib, I stubbed it. When i broke my stub, I checked online and found replacement nibs 2 for $5. Strangely, now that I have replacement nibs, I haven't dropped my pen nib first.

If you have a pen with one of the standard nib sizes, 5 or 6, then you should be able get replacement nibs. If you have a Jinhao 450 or 750, you can get 5 replacement nibs for less than $3.

Pilot doesn’t sell their cheap steel nibs separately from the pens. Sorta dumb, but that’s the way it is. They do for the Vanishing Point/capless series but I haven’t used them and can’t tell you whether they’re worth it. And I’m not sure whether they sell the steel nib units or just the gold ones. Nice pens in terms of looks, but even the cheap ones are not very cheap.

Lamy and Kaweco sell replacement nibs, tho both brands can be a bit love it or hate it. TWSBI mostly does, but theirs aren’t very affordable. I’m not sure offhand who all else sells aftermarket nib replacements. Pelikan doesn’t and I haven’t ever gotten on with a Pelikan steel nib anyway.

Nemosine, Franklin Christoph and a bunch of other small US pen makers use standard nib units of standard sizes. #5 and #6 are both common. I’m not clear on the warranty stuff with those pens, but it’s easy to get replacement nibs. A lot of Chinese pens use a similar system tho tracking down the details can be much harder.

I don’t know details on Indian made pens, but they tend to be inexpensive and at least some use the standard size nibs.

If you tend to drop a Metro tho, definitely look at whether a lighter pen works better. If you want to stay compatible with your Pilot bits, try a Plumix, Penmanship or Kakuno. If you don’t mind different cartridges/converters I’d recommend either a Kaweco Sport or a Platinum Preppy. The Sport is better if you have a thing for ink or italic nibs, the Preppy is better if you want cheap and cheerful.

Most of Lamy’s steel nibbed pens have a molded section that is very love it or hate it. I wouldn’t recommend a Lamy unless you can try before you buy since the pen body is expensive and they use proprietary cartridges. (I have 3 bodies and a lot more nibs but they are not exactly cheap and cheerful and there are counterfeiting issues)

...Well, all kidding aside, if you want to use fountain pens properly, get out of making excuses like "I am clumsy", take responsibility for your actions, and stop dropping your fountain pens. Maybe instead of wasting everybody's time asking stupid questions, you should work on becoming more careful and not dropping your pens.

It is the truth, and it has to be said.

Hi Wolverine,

That,... or he may also have neurological/motor problems that he would prefer to keep private...

...such as an uncle of mine who had a stroke several years ago... he can't hold a pen very well, either.

There are all sorts of reasons why a person may be "clumsy"... and it's not always buffoonery.

Be well... and roll with life... and people. :)

- Anthony

Typo.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I'm really clumsy too, sounds like you need a pen for which nibs are readily available, easy to swap and not horribly expensive: Lamy Safari. Also a thick mat around your desk or chair. And maybe some sort of ritual, for instance after killing several higher end computer keyboards with coffee I ritualized it by saying "liquid + computer = disaster" and just moving it to another desk before doing anything else. So "pen + fiddling = disaster".

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I've never seen a pen, from $1 to $1000 that the nib wouldn't be damaged by a drop on a hardwood floor. Maybe you should just buy the real cheap disposable ones.

I'll second Pakman's suggestion:

fpn_1519236680__pilotvpens.jpg

These Pilot Vpens are $2.00 each on Amazon. You can probably find them cheaper on Ebay.

Then buy one good pen to use exclusively on your desk.

I'm really clumsy too, sounds like you need a pen for which nibs are readily available, easy to swap and not horribly expensive: Lamy Safari. Also a thick mat around your desk or chair. And maybe some sort of ritual, for instance after killing several higher end computer keyboards with coffee I ritualized it by saying "liquid + computer = disaster" and just moving it to another desk before doing anything else. So "pen + fiddling = disaster".

I hear ya. Killed an IPhone 4 with scotch once. That one hurt bad! I was out a glass of scotch and a phone!

Someday the mountain might get em but the law never will.........

Anthony- the OP did not say whether he had some disability that made him drop his pens. Heck, I should know better since I am almost a cripple, having suffered five series of strokes. He just said that he was "clumsy". That I think is quite different from folks like me, who suffer from disabilities. I have had a MB 149 totally damaged because, a friend, who is not disabled, BTW, was just careless, and dropped the pen nib down. That pen now needs to go to John Mottishaw. I assumed that the OP was sort of like my friend, who just choses to be careless, and just tries to talk about "being clumsy", as an excuse to be less that responsible with his pens.

-Sid

Anthony- the OP did not say whether he had some disability that made him drop his pens. Heck, I should know better since I am almost a cripple, having suffered five series of strokes. He just said that he was "clumsy". That I think is quite different from folks like me, who suffer from disabilities.

Hi Sid,

First off, I'm very sorry to hear of your strokes... after five strokes, it's a miracle in itself that you're still alive and able to enjoy the hobby. God bless you for that, alone. My uncle had a TIA and one stroke and can barely hold a pen or a fork. :(

But the point I tried to make above, was that some people just prefer to keep their disabilities private and confidential... so they may refer to themselves as "clumsy"; when in reality they have deeper issues... you, yourself, waited until now to discuss your condition... I just like to give people the benefit of the doubt, because you never really know what's going on in their private lives.

I have had a MB 149 totally damaged because, a friend, who is not disabled, BTW, was just careless, and dropped the pen nib down. That pen now needs to go to John Mottishaw. I assumed that the OP was sort of like my friend, who just choses to be careless, and just tries to talk about "being clumsy", as an excuse to be less that responsible with his pens.

Yes, I understand this, too. It reminds me of the Christian admonishment to "love your neighbor,"... but there are neighbors that you wish lived in another neighborhood. :D

Some people can be a real trial, but aside from work; I just choose to take a more relaxed attitude... now, with kids and young adults,... I'll correct them because I figure there's still hope they're young enough to change,... but by the time people get to be our age... the die is usually cast... :D ...and I find life a lot easier if you just accept people with their foibles... because we all have them... and roll with it. :)

But if their foibles outweigh their merits... and you have a choice... disassociate yourself from burdensome people... there's no sin in avoiding the people who commonly provoke us to anger... in fact, we're supposed to avoid the people and places that are occasions of sin for us,... if we can.

Me, my foible is that I'm 49, but I live in a state of arrested adolescence,... :D ...but that is how I stay young... stay happy... and deal with a very high stress job.

Don't get me wrong, though; I'm not opposed to self-improvement... each new year... and throughout the year, I try to improve myself... but it's always an uphill battle... and patience with yourself... and others... is a virtue. So they keep telling me. :D

I'm also not anti-responsibility... but this chap is ruining his own pens... there's no real harm in that,... but I sincerely hope you're clumsy friend is paying for the damage he caused to your 149... or if he's financially strapped,... that he's making it up to you in another way,... or at least made a sincere offer to help, (of course, if you choose to magnanimous about it- thats great!); otherwise, it may be time to find a friend of better repute.

Be well... or as close to it as you can get given your circumstances... and God bless and keep you. :)

- Anthony

EDITED to add and clarify text.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Perhaps this should be a different thread, or perhaps I can offer another perspective. Let's see which of these are pocket-worthy:

Maybe you should just buy the real cheap disposable ones.

Pop-cap, plastic clip.

Safari / Al-Star

Pop cap, window in case, wire clip.

Karas Kustom

Screw cap, replaceable clip, stretches the definition of inexpensive.

Sheaffer VFM

Metal body, pop cap, folded-metal clip.

Nemosine Singularity

Pop cap, folded metal clip.

Jinhao X-450/750

Pop-cap, clip type unclear.

Jinhao 991

Pop-cap, spring clip.

Delike Alpha

Metal body, screw cap, hanging clip.

Dingdingding, we have a winner. That pen looks like it can survive being used.

I'm a fountain pen newbie. So far I've had a couple of Pilot Metropolitans. I like the pen, but I am quite clumsy. In both cases, I have dropped the pen and it's hit nib-first on my hardwood floor and bent. The second one didn't bend too badly and it's usable, but it's still a little damaged, and I want to get something new.

But I need something that will stand being dropped like that! I am clumsy. I KNOW I am going to keep dropping pens. Or is there another solution?

Welcome Mysterium Enjoy your time here .........Ain't just a board game......................

"Or is there another solution?"

Yup.....Stay away from 'em.....Clearly..'Tis not for you.....

Still your friend and mine..

Fred

Reductio Ad Absurdum.............................

No pen will survive a nib first fall onto a hardwood floor. I agree with the suggestions that you use really cheap disposable pens or cheap Jinhao, Hero, Baoer pens until you can cure your "pen dropping" habit. :)

this

As others have also suggested, the V-Pen is another good choice (a challenge to refill, however).

Welcome Mysterium Enjoy your time here .........Ain't just a board game......................

"Or is there another solution?"

Yup.....Stay away from 'em.....Clearly..'Tis not for you.....

Still your friend and mine..

Fred

Reductio Ad Absurdum.............................

That's not right. FP's are for the OP. The OP is just finding the best one.

That's not right. FP's are for the OP. The OP is just finding the best one.

Op..Asked "Or is there another solution?"

My answer stands......"Yup.....Stay away from 'em....Clearly..'Tis not for you.....

Brothers you..but not the Op..............

But you may be right the Op is just finding the right pen to drop again and again....

'Tis my personal opinion and yours/others/will/can differ.

Still your friend and his..

Fred

You can get five Jinhao #6 nibs on eBay for $3.69 with free shipping. Get a Jinhao x450 or x750 and a pack of spare nibs for under $20...it will give you six drops before you have to reload on the nibs.

this

As others have also suggested, the V-Pen is another good choice (a challenge to refill, however).

Have you tried this trick :

1)To refill the V-pen you can use a syringe an a 3 inch longflexible clear plastic tubing that can fit both of them . (See photo_01)

2)Fill the syringe half full , insert it into one end of the plastic tubing then insert the v-pen nib first into the other end. (See Photo_02)

3)After making sure the connection are secure and tight, slowly push the ink into the pen.

4) Repeat step 2 & 3 until you are O.K. with the amount of ink in the V-pen.

65mrare.jpg

Photo_01

TbOjuxC.jpg

Photo_02

Edited by jobodine

Have you tried this trick :

1)To refill the V-pen you can use a syringe an a 3 inch longflexible clear plastic tubing that can fit both of them .

2)Fill the syringe half full , insert it into one end of the plastic tubing then insert the v-pen nib first into the other end.

3)After making sure the connection are secure and tight, slowly push the ink into the pen.

4) Repeat step 2 & 3 until you are O.K. with the amount of ink in the V-pen.

I just pull the nibs & feeds out, no biggie. But some others might balk at the force required, so I thought that I might mention it.