The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Best Inexpensive Fountain Pens For Clumsy People Who Drop Them?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 mysterium

mysterium

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:20

I'm a fountain pen newbie. So far I've had a couple of Pilot Metropolitans. I like the pen, but I am quite clumsy. In both cases, I have dropped the pen and it's hit nib-first on my hardwood floor and bent. The second one didn't bend too badly and it's usable, but it's still a little damaged, and I want to get something new.

But I need something that will stand being dropped like that! I am clumsy. I KNOW I am going to keep dropping pens. Or is there another solution? 

Sponsored Content

#2 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:34

I'm not sure any nib would take that well, but I wonder if a light-weight pen, like the Kakuno (same nib, different body), might decrease the risk.  Just a thought.

Alternately, superglue your fingers to the grip?

Hmm.  Safari / Al-Star nibs are short, with thicker (more stout?) tines (or so it appears to me).  Perhaps they would be less likely to bend on impact?

Sorry, I have no personal experience and don't really want to try experiments ;) but some thoughts for what it's worth...

Edited by LizEF, 21 February 2018 - 03:34.

#3 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:38

Maybe Jinhao (x450 or x750) or other really cheap (less than $5) Chinese-made pens?

#4 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:40

I also would like to know what's an especially durable fountain pen. I haven't broken nibs, but I have broken clips and caps and bodies. I'm not collecting anything but ultra cheapies until I discover something at least as durable as an ultra cheapie.

Edited by Corona688, 21 February 2018 - 03:41.

#5 jobodine

jobodine

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:48

Maybe Jinhao (x450 or x750) or other really cheap (less than $5) Chinese-made pens?

The jinhao X450 & X750 are too big and too heavy pens for my writing taste !

I would recommend Hero 5020  ,  Baoer 388 or a few Jinhao 991 . They are all  light, small and cost less than 5$ US  . The Jinhao 991 is only about 2.0$ but writes very smoothly .

All these pens are available on ebay.

s-l300.jpg  

Jinhao 991

61i9IGxpMCL._SY463_.jpg

Baoer 388

s-l300.jpg

Hero 5020

Edited by jobodine, 21 February 2018 - 03:51.

#6 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:05

I've never seen a pen, from $1 to $1000 that the nib wouldn't be damaged by a drop on a hardwood floor. Maybe you should just buy the real cheap disposable ones.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#7 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:13

Nothing, not titanium, steel or gold will withstand a nib first fall. My suggestion is to stay with a beater pen till you develope better habits. A metro is a good pen to cut your teeth on. A safari has easy to find replacement but costs as much as a metro.

#8 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,038 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:32

Nothing, not titanium, steel or gold will withstand a nib first fall. My suggestion is to stay with a beater pen till you develope better habits. A metro is a good pen to cut your teeth on. A safari has easy to find replacement but costs as much as a metro.

What he/she said. 

There's a lot of durable fountain pen bodies out there (think Karas Kustoms).  The problem is the nib.  As defined by how it has to work, a nib has to be movable based on the light pressure you place on to the paper.  Therefore, if you are a butterfingers, you're gonna drop a bunch and break every nib that hits the ground.

I'll go one step below what Inkling13 said and get a Jinhao.  Heck, on ebay, you can get a pack of Jinhao's for less than $10.  Mix and match.  Get a bunch of different styles.  None are original and all are knockoffs of other designs.  But their low cost will be worth it until, as Inkling13 says, you develop better habits.  There is a dual benefit there for you as well: since they're knockoffs of other designs, you can see which ones are better suited to better handling for you and once you are confident in your ability to hold one, you can invest in the real deal and get a better writing pen.

If you want to go a step in between a Pilot Metro and a Jinhao, check out Fountain Pen Revolution.  But really, start with Jinhao and work your way up.  The nib won't be great, but that's kind of the point until you can keep it in good condition for a bit.

Don't give up.  Learning how to take care of the pen will be a skill that will translate into taking care of other things in your life.  It is a worthwhile skill to learn.

#9 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,675 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:36

Put a rug down over the hardwood floor, perhaps one that is large enough to cover your “writing area” but small enough to roll up, or move around if needed elsewhere. Won’t 100% guarentee it will protect all nibs, but provide a fighting chance compared to hardwood floors.
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#10 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,898 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:40

You might try a Sheaffer VFM, comes in F or M, sells for ~$15 on ebay. Cap and barrel are brass (but it's not too heavy) so if you dropped it while writing, most likely it would land butt-end rather than on the nib.

Edited by chromantic, 21 February 2018 - 05:41.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#11 IndigoBOB

IndigoBOB

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 814 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:49

Lamy Safari/Vista/Al star

#12 Amory

Amory

must put a witty comment here to show I am a fun person

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:59

I'm a fountain pen newbie. So far I've had a couple of Pilot Metropolitans. I like the pen, but I am quite clumsy. In both cases, I have dropped the pen and it's hit nib-first on my hardwood floor and bent. The second one didn't bend too badly and it's usable, but it's still a little damaged, and I want to get something new.

But I need something that will stand being dropped like that! I am clumsy. I KNOW I am going to keep dropping pens. Or is there another solution?

First question that comes to mind is how are you dropping your pen, does it simply slip through your fingers or some sort of accident ?

#13 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:40

No pen will survive a nib first fall onto a hardwood floor. I agree with the suggestions that you use really cheap disposable pens or cheap Jinhao, Hero, Baoer pens until you can cure your "pen dropping" habit.  :)

#14 TennesseeTrash

TennesseeTrash

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:29

I'd recommend a rollerball pen. It will write well and if you damage the tip you can change the refill.

#15 sub_bluesy

sub_bluesy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:14

Agree completely. You can also get Jinhao branded #6 nibs cheap on eBay if needed as replacements. Very happy with my Jinhao’s.
Someday the mountain might get em but the law never will.........

#16 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Member - Gold

• 2,821 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:26

Hi Mysterium, et al,

Good advice thus far. All I'll do is reiterate what's been said and add one more, (below):

Lamy Safari... light weight... near indestructible body... and an easily replaceable nib.

If the Safari styling is too avant garde for your tastes or needs, then I'd consider the:

- Nemosine Singularity

OR

- Jinhao X-450/750

All three pens I've mentioned here are inexpensive to buy AND come with nibs that are also easy and inexpensive to remove and replace.

Be well... or as close to it as you can get... and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony
With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#17 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 14:02

Use a cheap BIC stick, you can nick them for free from your bank or many other places.

Well, all kidding aside, if you want to use fountain pens properly, get out of making excuses like "I am clumsy", take responsibility for your actions, and stop dropping your fountain pens. Maybe instead of wasting everybody's time asking stupid questions, you should work on becoming more careful and not dropping your pens.

It is the truth, and  it has to be said.

#18 mysterium

mysterium

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 15:02

Wonderful, thank almost all of you for your constructive, useful, and interesting suggestions! 

#19 Corona688

Corona688

Inkfingered Crackpot

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 15:34

No pen will survive a nib first fall onto a hardwood floor.

I felt compelled to prove you wrong and proved you right instead. The V-Pen is not as indestructible as it seems. It bent right back,but I shan't do that again.

#20 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 15:39

I felt compelled to prove you wrong and proved you right instead. The V-Pen is not as indestructible as it seems. It bent right back,but I shan't do that again.

:lticaptd:

Sponsored Content

|