The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman Ink Never Fully Absorbs On Rhodia

waterman ink smearing smear rhodia problem dry time

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:58

​I had this same problem with some J. Herbin inks (Vert Empire was the worst offender) on my Black n' Red notebooks. I could go back hours later and swipe my finger over the Herbin lines and they would smear while the other inks on the page didn't - that's how I knew the problem was with the Herbin ink (and also not caused by damp or sweaty hands).

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Sponsored Content

#22 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,970 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:45

I'd change the ink to one that explicitly says it's waterproof before using paper that feathers - iron gall, document, pigment, or whatever Noodler's does.

No, no noodlers, rookie mistake. Noodlers bonds to the paper. Unbonded ink, of which there can be a lot, will continue to rehydrate and smear.

#23 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2018 - 14:03

No, no noodlers, rookie mistake. Noodlers bonds to the paper. Unbonded ink, of which there can be a lot, will continue to rehydrate and smear.

I don't like Noodler's inks much either, but they're not the only ones with permanent inks.

#24 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,970 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 15:20

I actually like noodlers very much. I'm just saying that most of the permanent fraudproof noodlers are actually water soluble and will smear.

#25 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2018 - 16:14

I actually like noodlers very much. I'm just saying that most of the permanent fraudproof noodlers are actually water soluble and will smear.

Ah, got it.  I've only used two (I think) of their permanent inks and didn't have problems with them on paper, but then my hands don't generally cross over the part already written on, and especially not when damp, so it's entirely possible I just never noticed.

#26 tisse98

tisse98

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:26

My Rhodia paper loves Waterman ink. Here's a sample of Waterman ink on Rhodia Heritage Raw Binding paper.

Attached Images

• w0.jpg

Edited by tisse98, 18 March 2018 - 12:47.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterman, ink, smearing, smear, rhodia, problem, dry time

Sponsored Content

|