Xs Pocket Fountain Pen By Ensso

caiello

Hello FPN friends,

I am an architect and product designer and recently designed a pocket fountain pen for Ensso- a Los Angeles-based writing instruments brand. This pen was conceived with mobility in mind. It is one of the smallest fountain pens in the world, but it grows into a regular size pen when posted- making it ideal for everyday carry. In addition, the cap is secured by o-rings, allowing a fast uncapping. The XS has twelve facets that prevent it from rolling down your desk and it is available in several aluminum and brass finishes. It is equipped with #5 Peter Bock nibs made in Germany and it uses standard international ink cartridges or small aerometric converters.

I hope this is a good place to inform the FPN community about the design if not, I would appreciate if you could point me in the right place.
I am looking forward to hearing your comments.
61638a3af0e411d736d4770f697b3490_origina

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• pitonyak

• caiello

• Corona688

Hi caello, thanks for popping in! I already own one of ennso's earlier designs (the Piuma), and have jumped on board for this Kickstarter too. I like the idea of a pen that will cap and uncap without screwing - as long as the o-rings are sufficiently durable! - and look forward to seeing how this pen functions in hand.

hi Jamerelbe, thanks for your support. The o-rings are very durable and easy to install if needed. We will provide a few spares with each pen. On a side note, I have been trying to post this announcement on the Market Watch forum but because I am a new member I can't do it. I am wondering if you could make a post on Market Watch? I am trying to reach more people that could be interested in enjoying this pen. Thanks!

More than happy to help - I've copied and pasted (with intro) over on Market Watch.

Thanks for the advice re including spare O-rings - I think it's a great idea to include spares. The project looks really good, so I hope you get plenty of backers - wish you all the best with it!

Since you've invited feedback on the pen, a couple of comments:

(1) I really like the look of the design. I'd be a little anxious that over time the O-Rings may not provide sufficient friction to hold the cap firmly in place (especially when posted for writing) - to my mind that's a slight risk I'm taking in supporting the project, but I'm happy to "take it on trust". What's your experience been with this so far?

(2) The grip section is a little on the thin side for a fountain pen - I usually prefer a minimum diameter of ~10mm (Kaweco Sport is 9.5mm) - but tastes vary, and it's not a deal-breaker for me, especially given the use-case (a small pen to carry everywhere).

(3) This pen shares in common with other pocket pens (e.g. the Kaweco Sports pens) a limitation in that they're too short for most cartridge converters. I have yet to find a really satisfactory solution for this - I like to refill with my own choice of inks, so I'm forced to resort to refilling spent cartridges, or relying on the little Kaweco bulb converter which is a fairly poor compromise. It's a downstream problem from the pen (created by the desire to keep the barrel short for reasons of design and utility!), but I'd love to see someone come out with a really good cartridge converter system that's well suited to these smaller pens.

Again, I wish you well with the project - and look forward to trying mine out when it (eventually) arrives!

Jamerelbe, thanks for posting the pen on Market Watch!

1) The o-rings hold the cap firmly over time. We will provide spare o-rings with each pen and will make them available to purchase at a later date.

2) Yes, it is on the thin side, but not as thin as Kaweco's Liliput. We find it comfortable!

3) Yes, only accepts small international cartridges and the bulb converter, but we are actually designing a new much better small converter. Unfortunately, it won't be available soon but will keep everyone updated.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like an interesting pen..... I like the solid brass.

I've signed up for a pen, but still trying to decide what material and finish - agreed, the solid brass looks good, but so do the other 3 finishes! Oh well, there's still time for me to make up my mind...

Lacking a screw cap is a fatal flaw in a travel pen. An O-ring is no substitute, and it will wear out in a year anyway.

Lacking a screw cap is a fatal flaw in a travel pen. An O-ring is no substitute, and it will wear out in a year anyway.

Grumble.... had not even given it a thought. Would do quite a job if the cap came off in the pocket.

I believe the creators will be providing spares, to help allay these concerns (and they're not the hardest spare part to find "in the wild") - but I've got plenty of pens that are snap cap (including Lamy Safaris and AL-stars) which manage to remain secure. If that's a deal breaker for you, fair enough - but for the price (and to back a new design), I'm happy to take the risk...

Just a heads up: as I post this reply, the Kickstarter project has 14 hours to go. $70,000+ pledged for a $5,000 goal, so it'll go ahead (and probably be somewhat delayed in terms of shipping :(), but... not much time left if you were still thinking of jumping on board!

[Also worth noting: there is now an optional add-on clip available - details on Campaign page.]

• 1 month later...

I asked for the Brass model and I asked for a pen clip.

Could not convince myself to go with a Gold nib without trying it first..... and now I wait. If yours arrives, holler!

I asked for the Brass model and I asked for a pen clip.

Could not convince myself to go with a Gold nib without trying it first..... and now I wait. If yours arrives, holler!

It's pretty easy to order gold nibs "after market" to swap in - so if you're not sure you're up for the purchase, that's probably wise. In the meantime, you could check out online reviews for Gold vs stainless steel Bock 060 nib units - and/or Kaweco units, which are built to the exact same specs.

I went for Titanium - I like their added "spring", and they're so much cheaper than gold. (They are a longer nib though.)

• 2 weeks later...