The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Jinhao 500

jinhao 500 chinese pen pelikan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 17:19

Have any members out there bought this pen?

It looks like the pens made by Pelikan, though I am not sure whether it is a clone of a specific model. There are some aspects of a M200, but the barrel has no translucent  window. The section also has a metal ring on it's base

What is this pen and the supplied nib like?

It is nice eye-candy. I just wonder if you can hot-rod it with a after-market nib as i did with my Jinhao X750.

Sponsored Content

#2 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 18:13

It has a #5 size nib, not 6.
To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#3 WJM

WJM

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 19:28

It's not clone of anything, just a somewhat Pelikan-ish pen. There's not a translucent window in the barrel because Jinhao is a c/c pen, while M200 is a piston filler.

#4 Brandywine

Brandywine

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2018 - 19:46

I have some of them and I think they're the best Jinhaos I got.

They look a bit like M200, but they are cartridge pens, not piston fillers.

And they are made of metal.

The nibs are rather stiff and thin. Some people like that, I prefer stub nibs.

They can be replaced by #5 nibs from JoWo, Bock or whatever manufacturer.

The nib and feed are a bit tight but they can be pulled to change the nib.

#5 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:08

I realised that the Jinhao 500 probably wasn't a piston filler, for the price it was sold at.

The plus side is durability.

I wonder how long the clear plastic of a 'demonstrator' type would hold up in usage vs a completely opaque material?

I have a liking for Jinhao, but I don't know if the factory has a opaque piston-fill offering.

I see that the pen has some very favourable feedback after looking on Amazon.

Edited by Dip n Scratch, 21 February 2018 - 09:42.

#6 garyc

garyc

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 00:42

The 500 and its close relative the 8812 with rosewood barrel (or is it the 650, I’m not quite sure) l are really nice pens. The 650/8812 with a brown ink goes really well. The nibs on all these are pretty similar, I’ve only ever replaced the nibs on a couple of x750s but I’d imagine the same could be done with any of these.

#7 hinky

hinky

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 February 2018 - 19:04

I have both the Jinhao 500 and two of the 650/8812 (in "Maple" wood and "Abalone" shell). All of them look really nice and are somewhat Pelikan-inspired. They all have the Jinhao #5 size nib and all are friction fit and can be swapped with each other, but I haven't tried putting in another brand's nib. You have to be careful though: there's a notch where the nib is supposed to go (like the X750 and X450) but it's fairly shallow and barely noticeable; also, pulling out the nib and feed the first time is kinda hard.

The nibs they originally came with are pretty decent; they're smooth, but somewhat dry. Just opening up the tines a little makes a huge difference.

Hope that helps 😊

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jinhao 500, chinese pen, pelikan

Sponsored Content

|