Remove Seal From Piston Pelikan 100N

kdv

Hello,

I was lucky getting this beautiful pelikan 100n (for only E 50,-).

The pen is in an overall very good condition. There are only a few stress – cracks and it need a new piston sealing.

Considering the stress-cracks: I read people mentioning that this is quite often the case with older fountainpens and is nothing to worry about. In my case: I cannot feel the cracks nor on the outside nor on the inside (with a toothpick). Also, the pen is air/water tight. I also see people selling these pens with stress cracks for over $200, -. So, nothing to worry about?

Most important: considering the piston seal: I ordered for new ones, but how to remove the old seal. Is the tip screwed on? Or should it be knocked out? Nowhere on this forum I found any information about removing these seals. Anny suggestions?

I’m pretty sure that I have the seal -variant without cork: the one second to the right on the picture below.

Thanks,

kdv

post-139053-0-04732300-1519143184.jpg

post-139053-0-60617400-1519143334.jpg

post-139053-0-84078600-1519143446_thumb.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kdv

• mana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice catch at a very good price! :) Yup, that one is the rubber seal (second from right).

I usually remove the original seal by heating it in hot water for a bit to soften the seal up. I use as hot water I can get from a tap so nothing that would be scalding or burn me though.

Once the rubber seal has softened up a bit I cut the protruding parts of the seal off on adjacent sides (following the wall of the piston shaft the seal is attached to). Then I reheat it again to make sure it is as soft and pliable as can be and gently peel and pry the remaining part off with my fingers.

You need to be careful to not cut the piston shaft itself, especially the rim at the end of it (currently inside the seal). As in, there is a groove cut around the shaft and a rim at the end of it which help hold the seal in place. It is relatively easy to cut into it so go at it gently (less is more). Just use a thin sharp knife (like a modeler's knife or a scalpel).

You can see a pic of the disassembled parts in a pic in the middle of this article > http://www.bleubug.com/2011/05/05/an-old-bird/

Some folks forego the cutting and just soften and pry it out. I am too hesitant to do this as I know those parts can be fragile due to the materials used and aging.

The new seal just pops in place. Just remember to use as thin as possible coating of high quality silicone grease to lube the seal. I use a cotton swab dabbed onto some and spread it with that on the sides of the seal.

Stress cracks are not a problem unless they leak. Two of my EDC pens are of that particular model (post war 100N, one green and one black) with visible stress cracks. Since they are most often filled with ink and do not leak I tend not to think about the cracks at all nor even remember that they are there.

What nib was that btw?

Hi Mana,

Thank you so much for your comprehensive explanation.

Everything clear now, also with the picture in the thread showing where not to cut.

Considering the nib: see attached picture (taken in a hurry with my smartphone). The only marks are “pelikan” (in rather bold bubbly letters), 585 and karat.

Greetings

Klaas