Greetings From Columbus, Ohio, Usa

pitonyak

Hello from the center of Ohio in the USA.

My first exposure to fountain pens was when I met my best friend Fred, who seemed to dabble in more things than seemed reasonable.

So, as odd as it seems, my first fountain pen was a Mont Blanc purchased by Fred's Mother while she was visiting Germany back in the mid 1980's. It had never occurred to me that a pen might cost more than $20, so, I carried it everywhere I went; even while mucking out stalls on the farm.

Somewhere in there, I obtained some pens from my Mother (that she used in College), and then I inherited a few from my Grandparents; who were not able to tell me what they did with them, but one of them is out for repair since it never worked and it is kind of sentimental to me.

when Fred died unexpectedly about two years ago, I inherited a bunch of stuff, and I have been wading through it for the last two years. One of the things that I inherited was many of his Fountain pens, which I am finally getting around to wading through. Some of these pens I gave away on this forum in the PIF section. Some of the pens were put away wet, so to speak, so I have been learning to clean then pens and I have been introducing my wife and my 12 year old to the joy of a Fountain Pen.

In the last couple of days, I have ordered low end, and some higher end fountain pens to try while I look for the sweet spot. I found that I really enjoy the Pilot Metropolitan pens; I think that I prefer the Fine tip nib.

I noticed that there is a group here in central Ohio that meets, maybe monthly, so I will try to connect with them...

I have found the people here to be very helpful and knowledgeable, which is why I chose to give away six pens on the PIF; a way to say thank you.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pitonyak

• inkstainedruth

• jar

• OCArt

Pitonyak,

Welcome to FPN! I also live in Columbus and organized the local pen club :) We would love for you to join us and you can find more info here: FB- Central Ohio Pen Club or We meet each month on the second Sunday from 2-4, at the Columbus Library Northern Lights Branch, 4093 Cleveland Ave. We have no dues and just get together to geek out on pens, ink, and paper.

I hope to see you around!

Elizabeth

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Pitonyak,

Welcome to FPN! I also live in Columbus and organized the local pen club :) We would love for you to join us and you can find more info here: FB- Central Ohio Pen Club or We meet each month on the second Sunday from 2-4, at the Columbus Library Northern Lights Branch, 4093 Cleveland Ave. We have no dues and just get together to geek out on pens, ink, and paper.

I hope to see you around!

Elizabeth

I found the web site, signed up for email, and added this to my calendar, but, my birthday is that weekend, so, we will see if I can make it....

Was thinking about bringing my 12 year old daughter.

I will try to make it in March.

Hello and welcome from Indiana!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

Hello and Welcome back to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

:W2FPN: !!!!!

Glad you joined us on FPN. Greetings from Ann Arbor, MI. Are you a Buckeyes fan? I am a fan of the Big Blue, but, I enjoy the OSU-Michigan rivalry!!!

:W2FPN: !!!!!

Glad you joined us on FPN. Greetings from Ann Arbor, MI. Are you a Buckeyes fan? I am a fan of the Big Blue, but, I enjoy the OSU-Michigan rivalry!!!

Born in Kansas (Army Base), grew up in Michigan, Went to Ohio for one of my degrees. Did not even know there was a rivalry. From my work with college students before I went, I thought that the big rivalry was between U of M and MSU. I left OSU before I realized the rivalry existed; I spent most of my time with grad students, which meant mostly not US citizens who did not care at all about American Football. It was not until I got a job in Ohio that I started to really see it.

The one notable difference that I see is that here in Columbus, the attitude seems to be "you should go to OSU, they have the best Football team". From U of M, it seems to be "you should go to U of M, they are a great school". I chose OSU because they had a decent program in the area I wanted to study; it was Columbus Ohio, or Salt Lake City, and Ohio was closer to Michigan so that is where I went. Never could find a job back in Michigan, but they kept offering me jobs here in Ohio, so I stayed.

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

Welcome !

Fountain pens can be very personal. I think it would be nice to keep in service a representative selection of fountain pens to honor the memories of Fred, his mother, and your family members.

The membership will gladly offer ideas on restoration as well as care and feeding of your heirlooms.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Greetings from Pittsburgh! :W2FPN:

You should also know that there is a great pen show in early November, up in Dublin. I've gone out to it for the past 5 years and always have a great time at it, even if I can't always stay for the whole show (due to other commitments). Besides several ballrooms full of dealers, there are classes and a couple of auctions (as well as -- if you register for the weekend -- the Friday night pizza party and the Saturday night dessert party (also known as "good ways to schmooze with like-minded pen people").

I generally suggest that new people click on the "View New Content" link at the top of the page (you can adjust how often you get new content with the sidebar on the main forum pages). That gets you a good range of topics in manageable amounts -- don't do what I did when I started here six years ago, which was to read the Parker Forum. In its entirety (all 175 PAGES of threads; it's even bigger now...). And to have a look at the pinned Index to the Ink Reviews Forum.

I agree with Sasha. Having a memento of your friend is a nice thing (I wish I still had the unknown pen/pencil combo which had been my grandfather's -- now long gone). I do have a Cross Solo, bought off the estate of a friend who did calligraphy and bookbinding as a remembrance; and a Sheaffer Balance Oversized that belonged to my husband's grandfather (which I would like to hand down to one of my husband's nieces or nephews to keep it in the family).

But I should also warn you that we are all shameless enablers here, and will happily help you spend your discretionary funds on pens, ink, paper, repair tools, extra nib units, sealing wax, ephemera and pen shows.... B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I went to the Ohio Pen Show site, and it says:

WEEKEND REGISTRATION, THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY, ALL EVENTS, $50

​EARLY ADMISSION, FRIDAY, 9 AM, THROUGH SUNDAY, ALL EVENTS, $25

I assume that this does NOT include the seminars. This means the Pizza night and similar.

The seminars are separate signups (some classes are limited, such as the calligraphy classes) but may or may not have charges associated with them. There will be clipboards with the signup lists at check-in for each day's classes.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."